Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Kelly

Knowledgeable and helpful

I wonder if anyone could help me pinpoint a death certificate. It is for a son of John and Hannah Kelly. His name is Thomas. Thomas we think is on the 1841 census with John and Hannah the writing is so bad we can only guess it is that. He is aged 1 year born in county (Middlesex). If not Thomas, he is male!

I then have a burial record for Thomas Kelly on Sept 10th 1849 aged 7 years. Burial was in St George, Bloomsbury and the address given was Great Wild Street. A year before in Sept 1848 a brother was born at 37 Great Wild Street, St Giles. The burial record looks a good one but I would like to find the right death and if possible a birth for Thomas to help uncover some more facts about the parents. I would like to narrow it down and if anyone could help I would be very grateful. With thanks Elma
    Last edited by Elma; 10-03-2013 at 2:04 PM. Reason: wrong date

malcolm99

The GRO Death indexes have a Thomas KELLEY, Strand RD, Sep Q 1849. Vol. 1 page 463.

Hi Malcolm
    Thanks for that.
    The birth cert for the brother one year earlier came up as St Giles. Is that still a possibility?
    ELMA

malcolm99

Hello Elma

I know that area quite well around that time but I've been trying to double check which Registration District Great Wild Street is in - and it's not straightforward. It's not as obvious as it seems. I'm still having a look.

From Previous post of yours Malcolm

Re the 1841 Census- if you’re a bit of a gambler there are 2 Thomas’s worth looking at.
    1. Thomas Kelly in Strand RD, March Q 1839, vol.1 p. 312 (the Strand RD boundary is very close to the Little Wild Street area).
    2. Thomas Keeley, Bloomsbury RD, March Q 1840 ,vol.1 p.65 (Bloomsbury is used as an alternative name for St Giles RD).
    Either of them would at least give you the mother’s maiden name which may help you to confirm or eliminate the 1841 census entry. Always bear in mind though that not all births were registered at this time.

Malcolm
    I am just sending off for these I got distracted before. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again
    ELMA
    Last edited by Elma; 10-03-2013 at 2:57 PM. Reason: Did not make sense

malcolm99

Well I can't see that Great Wild Street's anywhere else but St Giles RD. It's possible though that he actually died in King's College Hospital which was just down the road in Portugal Street in Strand RD.

Will try the Strand one first. Thanks.
    Elma

malcolm99

Good luck with that - finding Death certificates can be difficult and expensive.

Last month I found a new member of my Drury Lane family who I'd never come across in 20 years. This was because she was born in Drury Lane but died in Somers Town, north of the Euston Road, some 18 months later. The reason appears to be that she was shipped out of the Drury Lane address to an aunt's because she had pneumonia from which she died and it appears she was moved away because they had a new born baby in the house and presumably didn't want any cross-infection. Just another reason why people die in places different from where they usually live.

P.S. I use the word 'house' very loosely - I suppose room would be more accurate!

Quote Originally Posted by Elma View Post
    From Previous post of yours Malcolm

Re the 1841 Census- if you’re a bit of a gambler there are 2 Thomas’s worth looking at.
    1. Thomas Kelly in Strand RD, March Q 1839, vol.1 p. 312 (the Strand RD boundary is very close to the Little Wild Street area).
    2. Thomas Keeley, Bloomsbury RD, March Q 1840 ,vol.1 p.65 (Bloomsbury is used as an alternative name for St Giles RD).
    Either of them would at least give you the mother’s maiden name which may help you to confirm or eliminate the 1841 census entry. Always bear in mind though that not all births were registered at this time.
    No luck here both certificates were not ours, Back to the drawing board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12