Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Adrian
    We looked at the death of Joel Isaacs and I can't remember if we posted on the following records which indicated he was dead at least by 1826 or earlier:
    At the house of his uncle C L Isaacs Esq of Montego Bay Jamaica Lewis Hurwitz aged 21 grandson of the late Joel Isaacs of Portsmouth 22 May 1826 Sussex Advertiser Lewes Sussex

Then- 27 1834 Hampshire Advertiser
    Fanny the wife of J Hurwitz and 2nd daughter of the late Mr Joel Isaacs of this town leaving a husband and 10 children

I would like to see S o G Isaacs family trees to see if there is any new data if these trees actuallly exist.
    Phillip

Apologies- the death of Lewis should have been 1836 and of course we had noted this some time ago. Noted ( as an aside) the death of Lewis Hurwitz Isaac- died at Jamaica on the third of July, after a few days illness of yellow fever, Lewis Hurwitz, aged 18 son of Alexander Isaac Esq of Hatcham Grove Peckham - Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle Sept 14 1835
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Default Noah Levi - Frances Jacobs

Alan, Allan, Phillip,

have come across this information in the Kentish Gazette Friday 16th April 1790

"On Wednesday Last was married, at the Great Hall, near the New Synagogue, London, Mr. Noah Levi, Silversmith, of Ramsgate, to Miss Frances Jacobs, of Dukes Place."

This confirms the marriage information we had from Cemetery Scribes for Noah Edward Lewis and also supports that Noah Levi is Noah Lewis.

Alan, Allan, Phillip,

The Kentish Gazette is proving to be a useful source of information on Noah Levi.

Friday 4th September 1789

"Noah Levi, Watch and Clock Maker, Working Goldsmith and Jeweller, South Street, Near the Market Place, Ramsgate."

Its a long advert indicating the return of Noah Levi and thanking the people of Ramsgate, Margate, Broad-Stairs? for reestablishing his shop to "No 12 on the other side of the way"

Friday 21st June 1793

"To be Sold by Auction, by J. Dyason, On Monday the 24th June 1793, All the household furniture and part of the stock in trade of Mr. Noah Levi, Silversmith, on the Premises, in the South Street, Ramsgate;"

Possibly this indicates the time when Noah left Ramsgate and returned to Europe ?

Adrian

Default BENJAMIN LEVI

The London Gazette 29 Dec 1810 describes the bankruptcy of Benjamin Levi of Little Alie Street, Goodman's Fields. The article mentions the partnership between Henry Levi Lewis of Jamaica and Benjamin Levi. Benjamin Levi's will proved 1818 lists Golda as his wife, Alexander Isaac as his son in law and Sophia as his daughter.

Benjamin is possibly the son of Moses Levi of Canterbury who died in 1798. If this is the case it's likely that Henry is a sibling or son of a sibling of Benjamin.

Default Jacobs tree

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Adrian

On my Jacobs lines we have Henry Jacobs marrying Rebecca Isaacs daughter of Judah Isaacs - this Isaacs family also lived in Harrow Alley ( you can check the family on the Jacobs tree family website)
    Phillip
    Phillip, Where/how would I find this tree? I always find your posts when doing a Google search and I don't know where to go on this site to find stuff.
    Eve

Eve
    Go onto Google and type jacobstree - this will come up as Jacobs Tree-HOME OF A JACOBS FAMILY TREE
    Dedicated to the descendants of David Jacobs aka David Litzen.
    This data base was set up by my Jacobs cousin Dave Simpson with contributions from a wide range of our Jacobs cousins world widen including myself. The Big family tree is specific to a small number of Jacobs cousins including myself and there is wide ranging data on each of the descendants.
    Phillip

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Frederick Louisson, butcher, is presumably my great grandfather. His father was George Melville Louisson, born 1801 in Portsmouth, Umbrella Maker. He was the son of Joel Isaac who died in 1807. His father was Reb Isaacs who came to Portsmouth from Aub in 1762. He was the Mohel in Portsmouth for about 40 years.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Joel Isaacs of Portsmouth is my ancestor and died in 1807. According to one account, he had been charged with forgery and his death was suicide, or a consequence of imprisonment.

Henry
    Good to hear from you regarding your direct connection to the Louisson/Isaacs. We wrote about Joel Isaacs some six years ago on this thread #211-227 and also on the Louisson.

I have no connection to the lines and was happy to assist with the research.

I am sure that the main contributors to the thread the 2 Alan's and Aidan would be happy to make contact with you providing they are still researching and reading the BG thread.

If you can add any additional data on your lines I am sure it would be appreciated by other researchers.

Phillip

Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast