Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Default HENRY LEVY LEWIS-SOPHIA LEVY LEWIS

I am starting a new post to provide further data on the lines relating to Henry Levy Lewis died 1831 Jamaica and his wife Sophia Levy Lewis. Earlier posts on this couple and their children appeared under " Edward Lawrence Levy-solicitor". Currently, there is no evidence to indicate that Henry Levy Lewis and Sophia Levy Lewis lines are related to my Jacobs/Lewis/Levy. However, this and subsequent posts may identify such a relationship.
    The following data has been taken from British Newspaper Archive Records and relates to the most recent posts for the Levy Lewis lines under " Edward Lawrence Levy-solicitor".

Marriage
    On 27 inst by the Rev Dr N Adler-Charles Vallancey Lewis Esq of 25 Woburn Place Russell Square youngest son of the late H L Lewis Esq of Kingston, Jamaica to Eliza youngest daughter of the late Henry Isaacs Esq of the same city
    The Times Weds Sept 2 1846

In relation to Noah Edward Lewis of 3 Melvina Place Westminster ( he is the father of James Lewis and details of his court marshall from the army appear in various records). He died in 1830. It appears he may also be the same person who is recorded in the trial of The King v Whitaker and others - The Morning Chronicle Thurs Nov 26 1812 using the alias Knight. He was acquitted. Further proof would be required. There is a Noah Edward Lewis who is listed in the Old Bailey trial as an accountant -The Times 23 Sept 1824

20 and 25 Woburn Place Russell Square appear to be addresses habited by the Levy Lewis and relatives over some period of time and I will submit further records of who lived at the addresses.
    Phillip

Default 20 WOBURN PLACE RUSSELL SQUARE-LEWIS/OTHERS

The following records are taken from British Newspaper Archives online via various UK Libraries. The records relate to the Levy Lewis families and their relatives:
    Death- The Times June 14 1878- On 17 inst Herne Villas Margate-Otto Rothschild age 55 son in law of Mrs Lindo of 20 Woburn Place

The Jewish Victorian Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, Robert Boyd Publisher, 1999
    P491
    Marriage 12.6.1878 at the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue Bryanston Road,Bryanston Street of Richmond House, Crowhurst Road Brixton- Otto ROTHSCHILD to Hannah Louise LINDO second daughter of Mrs B Lindo of 20 Woburn Place Russell Square relict of B Lindo Esq of Jamaica

The Times Mon March 25,1850
    Death-On Thurs the 21st inst at 20 Woburn Place Russell square in the 82nd year of her age, after a few days illness -Fanny relict of N E LEWIS esq

I will supply other data as research progresses.
    Phillip

Default NOAH EDWARD LEWIS ALIAS KNIGHT

This post relates to Noah Edward Lewis who died 1830 at 3 Melvina Place Westminster:
    The London Gazette 21 May 1805- Noah Edward Lewis to be Paymaster

The London Gazette 18 Jan 1814
    Prisoners in the King's Bench Prison Surrey
    Noah Edward Lewis formerly of Mansell St Goodmansfield Middx and late of Fort Cumberland and Green Terrace Kingston cross in the County of Hants, late paymaster of the 8th Veteran Battalion

I have yet to locate his Criminal Record and the prison sentence he served.
    Phillip

The London Land Tax Records show:
    Mansell St West Tower Hamlets St Mary Whitechapel 1805 - Noah Edward Lewis Tenant-Rent £2.10s

Phillip

Default MIRIAM BELL LEWIS- WIFE OF H L LEWIS JAMAICA

Adrian
    I have just noted the following references contained in "The Jews of Jamaica: Tombstone Inscriptions 1663-1880" Barnett,R;Wright,P; Yoffe,O Publisher Ben Zvi Institute 1997

The records of the Tombstone's which are in snippet form only on Google Books include a potentially interesting reference to the death and burial of:
    Henry Levy Lewis 25.4.1817 age 6 months son of Henry and Sophia Levy Lewis

Another very interesting record shows:
    Miriam Bell Lewis, wife of Henry L Lewis late of the City of Canterbury in the County of Kent 9 June 5570 aged 23

It maybe that Miriam is the first wife of Henry Levy Lewis and reference by Henry in his will to his " Natural children.." may refer to the children of his first marriage. This of course would need confirmation. Did Henry in fact marry Sophia?

You may wish to obtain a copy of this book because it may well contain other relevant names.
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Post Will of Catherine Macintyre

Phillip, thanks for all the information you have discovered in wills and newspapers. I have gone through the will of Catherine Macintyre and this is my interpretation,

* lived at 25 Woburn Place (Sophia is living here in 1841 Census and in the will)
    * Mother in law - Sophia Levy Lewis (25 Woburn Place)
    * Uncle - J (L or S)? Louisson
    * Brother in law - Louis Lewis of Jamaica
    * George Coleman Hamilton Lewis (25 Woburn Place)
    * Brothers - Louis Lewis of Panama, Andrew Henry? Lewis of Jamaica, Charles Vallencey Lewis (25 Woburn Place)
    * James Graham Lewis (Ely Place Holborn)
    * Sister - Flora wife of Louis Lewis of Jamaica
    * Wife of James Graham Lewis - Harriet
    * Isabella Isaacs (34 Bernard St Russell Square - I think Charles Lewis, step son of William Levy Lewis was living at 6 Bernard St at this time)
    * Mary? Isaacs
    * Eliza Isaacs
    * L??? Maria Sarah Isaacs
    * Aunt - Frances Lewis ( 25 Woburn Place, Fanny is listed aged 70 at this address in the 1841 Census)
    * Aunt - A??? Isaacs of Great Prescott St Goodmans Fields
    * Grandmother - Elizabeth Isaacs
    * Daughter of Louis Lewis (Brother in law) - Isabella Lewis
    * Daughter of Louis Lewis (Brother) - Catherine Macintyre Lewis
    * Daughter of Andrew Henry Lewis - Caraoline Macintyre Lewis
    * Wife of George Drew Keogh - Catherine
    * Andrew H Isaacs of Kingston Jamaica
    * Mother - Sophia Levy Lewis (contradicts earlier entry that she is a Mother in law)

Sophia claims in her will that James, George and Louis are her Brothers. From Catherine's Will she is connected to them by several links,

1) her sister Flora married Louis Lewis,
    2) her brother is Charles Vallencey Lewis.
    3) her Aunt is Frances Lewis

I am struggling to come up with a combination that can explain this relationshsip. If Charles Vallencey is a true Brother then he should have the same Mother and Father as Catherine, however Charle's Mother Sophia is stated as being a step mother.

Could the Andrew Henry Lewis stated be Andrew the son of Henry Levy Lewis?

Adrian

Adrian
    First of all any thoughts on the Jamaica Jewish Tombstone entries. My initial thoughts are that the birth and death of Henry Levy Lewis in 1817 suggest possible Sephardic roots for Henry and Sarah due to the naming of a child whilst an individual of the same name ( Henry the father) is still alive ( I accept that the tradition was not consistent or universally adopted but this was an early birth. What do you make of the death of Mary Bell Lewis?

I have noted Charles Lewis solicitor at 6 Bernard Street Russell Square with his wife Mary Ann - Sun Fire Records May 1838 and in the Legal Observer Sat May 2 1835 Morris NEWTON Edgware Road Clerk Articled to Charles Isaacs Mansell St Goodman's Fields: Assigned to Charles Lewis 6 Bernard St Russell Square. There is also Mr C Lewis attorney 50 Bernard Street Russell Square 1830.
    I can't see Isabella Isaacs at 34 Bernard St but am still looking.

Was the reference to Sophia Levy Lewis mother in law an error but if so why was the term 'mother' then used in the same document? A lot to consider!
    Phillip

Ps Did you download the John Lewis will?

There are references to: Andrew Henry Lewis- The Annual Laws of Jamaica 1864; Marriage 24 Sept 1834 Lucretia Abrahams to Andrew Henry Lewis Ashkenazi Synagogue Orange St Kingston Jamaica. The last record might indicate the name of Andrew's father.
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Default Will of John Lewis

Phillip, apologies of for the delay in responding but I am travelling at the moment, I have gone through the will of John Lewis. There is a lot of information that is difficult to read which may contain other information but in terms of names this is what I have found,

* Cousin - Catherine ?iddy? Macintyre
    * Nephew - Charles Vallencey Lewis
    * God Son - Edward John Lewis
    * Brother - Louis Lewis
    * Brother - James Graham Lewis
    * Brother - George Hamilton Coleman Lewis
    * Sister - Sophia
    * Sister - Catherine (wife of George Drew Keogh)

Based on this will relationships suggest that Sophia, John, George, Louis Lewis (Jamaica), James are all siblings, however John doesn't seem to refer to any in laws, steps of half relations so perhaps he was not as accurate as Catherine. Catherine's will doesn't refer to James or George as brothers so this suggests to me that there are multiple marriages. One of the web sites I looked at

https://miriamhakedosha.blogspot.com....les-lewis.html

suggests that James and George were raised by a step Uncle Edward Henry Lewis. However this is not consistent with the Arcticles for James Graham Lewis in 1824 which has his father Noah Edward Lewis as party (suspect this is because James is under 21). The web site also suggests that Sophia is a Levy who married a Charles Lewis son of Edward Henry Lewis. I am not sure about this information but suspect Charles Vallencey's father would be a Charles. The timing is difficult as Charles is born around 1816 in Jamaica so did Sophia marry a Charles and then travel to Jamaica and have Charles Vallencey and then marry Henry?

Adrian

Adrian
    Do you have the will of Eugene BROCHETON who died 23 Brunswick Terrace Hove Sussex 17 Feb 1917 leaving a will and 2 codicils- his solicitors Lewis and Lewis Ely Place. Do you have the will of Elizabeth Rose Wilmar BROCHETON 64 Rodney Court Maida Vale who died in 1929? I can see all the links to Brocheton in the various Lewis in the census returns.
    Key point regarding the birth of Charles in abt 1816 - you will note that Henry Levy Lewis died in 1817 age 6 mths. This would suggest a 'quick turn around' for another birth and marriage by Sophia. I know there is a paid website on Jamaican Family history which includes the Jewish births, marriages and deaths. Have you seen the site?
    Phillip

Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast