Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Adrian
    Looks interesting data- worth looking further. I have looked for Rayner on the British Outbound Passenger Lists 1890-1960 on Findmypast and noted that there were other Rayner leaving London for Melbourne in 1890 ( I have not paid for looking at the records). These Rayner do not look as if they appear on the Ancestry.Com passenger lists but suggest you look closely at the records in case I have overlooked data. The Rayner who departed from London for Melbourne 1890 were- Francis Rayner b 1861; Chas Rayner b 1851. I also noted F R Rayner adult departed 1891 for Sydney and F Rayner b 1871 departed London for Sydney 1890 and another Rayner b 1849 for Sydney. You may want to look for any Lewis/Levy/Hart etc who also departed 1890 for Melbourne/Sydney.
    Phillip

Adrian
    Andrew Henry Lewis appears in several newspaper accounts regarding the Insurrection in Jamaica in 1865- Andrew Henry Lewis as a witness in trials relating to the insurrection.."I was in Jamaica in 1865.. I was a member of the Assembly and Justice of the Peace in 3 parishes.... I was colonel of militia and my commission dates from July 1849.."
    Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle Sat 9 Feb,1867 and Manchester Times Sat March 30, 1867.
    Will look further.
    Phillip

Adrian
    On another thread on BG under "Cowen's ????" - see post dated 11.02.2008 ( this same researcher Ellen appears on "Mark Levy- widower died 1812 " thread which you have responded to) I noted that Ellen had relatives living at the same address given for Charles Stanhope. This was Hampton Court and were grace and favour apartments given for great service to the Crown or country. There is a book called " Grace and favour. The Hampton Court Palace Community 1750-1950", Sarah E Parker et al, 2005 ( the book can be bought online).
    It maybe that this book contains references which are relevant to Charles Stanhope- maybe a long shot but worth a look.
    Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Phillip,
    thanks, will look into getting a copy of the book.

Adrian

Adrian
    I noted in a preview of the book that there were 2 references to the name Stanhope - the preview did not cover these pages. I am aware that there were Stanhope linked to Hampton Court Palace but these may have nothing to do with Charles Edward Stanhope. You can e mail the curator at the palace - see online The Curators Historic Royal Palaces Apartment 25 Hampton Court Palace Surrey KT8 9AU- there is an e mail attached to this address. If Charles Edward Stanhope did have a residence at Hampton Court Palace then it looks as if he was well to do ( there are various people living over time at the apartments including servants) but on his marriage Charles refers to his father and himself as Gentleman suggesting he was from an established family or self made.
    Phillip

Phillip,
    thanks found the book in the state library of victoria, will drop in for a read when I return from work travel

Adrian

Phillip,

I looked at the NSW Archives for the Mariners in Australian Waters scanned copy for the Lusitania arriving in Sydney on January 20th 1891 (ie the ship that we identified Ed & Edward Rayner on leaving from London then Plymouth). Refer

https://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1...ia/102lus2.gif

it lists "Mr Rayner" from London as a gent and no other information. A few problems with this, there is no Mr Rayner gent listed on the London Outbound passenger list but on the NSW list he is stated as coming from London. Would a 17/18 year old be classified as a gent?, would have thought he would be listed as a boy being under the age of 21. So perhaps this is not Edward Rayner and perhaps he did disembark in Melbourne. if that is the case where did Mr Rayner gent come from?. Thoughts?

Adrian

Ellen

I have the book/pamphlet & have checked for the above...I found 2 references 'Admiral Stanhope' Jane Austin's relative & mentioned under the entry for' Lady Fust '?[ p 58] & 'Sir Michael Stanhope 1548-52 ' Chief Ranger of the Court & Park[ p 163]...were those the page numbers you accessed? I imagine that if he gave that address, he formed part of the ' entourage' of whoever had title to the Apartment.

Hi Ellen,

thanks, we have a marriage for a Charles Chesterfield Stanhope who gave his address as Hampton Court, Hampton in 1868. He lists his father as the same name. I suspect these are just made up names as the marriage took place at the Kensington Registry office. Are those the only 2 Stanhopes listed in the book?

Adrian

Phillip
    re post #407 it looks as though the passengers were just listed as gent, lady or child so it looks like Edward Rayner did travel to Sydney rather than Melbourne assuming this is the correct Edward Rayner.

Adrian

Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast