Sandra Parker

Default Can I get at divorce records?

I have identified a couple of divorces of interest, particularly where my possible relative was involved as 'the other person'.

The
    divorces & matrimonial causes 1858 - 1903 gives me names and reference number, but no place, or other details. Could some someone please head me in the right direction to find out further details, or where I could locate the complete record.

The record has the cause number and sometimes a decree number, Sometimes the original number is crossed out and a new number inserted, but there is no sign of any district or place at all, so although the names agree, they may not even be anywhere near where my ancestor lived and I might be accusing them of something for which they were totally innocent.

Sandra.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Is this any help? https://www.
    nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/divorce-after-1858.htm

Pam

Jan1954

If you go to the National Archives website, hit their search page. Put the name of one of the parties in where it says "word or phrase" and the year range if you know it. In the "Department or series code" put J77 and then hit the search button. The record that you are after should come up (along with any others that match that criteria), which you can then expand to see what is held. There will also be options for ordering a copy of the documents.

Sandra Parker

oh dear! A cloud of uncertaintly floats o'er me - again!!! (beats having senior moments)
    Why didn't I think of that?
    Thanks as usual
    Sandra