Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gimmerlamb

Default Thomas Lancaster schoolmaster

Does any one know anything about a Thomas Lancaster who had a school at Brough circa 1819

Mutley

I've no idea if this Thomas Lancaster was a schoolmaster or not.
    Quote from:
    https://www.
    northofthesands.org.uk/westmoreland/surname/202/lancaster

Brough (N). Sacred memory of Thomas Lancaster of Brough who departed this life February 4th 1858 aged 66 years. and of Sarah Lancaster late of Brough Sowerby and wife to the above who departed this life April 30th 1880 aged 70 years. "Not my will but thine be done."
    A Thomas Lancaster, school master, is in the 1841 census for Brough. Born Westmorland in 1796. With him is a Margaret Lancaster born 1771, not in the county.
    HO107/1156, Book 12, Folio 19, Page 8
    (records held by TNA, Crown copyright)

A Thomas Lancaster born 1796 in Shop, Westmorland is living in Brough in 1851 with wife Sarah. He is the Post Master.
    Sarah was born in Crondall, Hampshire in 1811.
    1851 census
    HO107/2439 Folio 256 Page 9
    (records held by TNA, Crown copyright)

gimmerlamb

Thank you again Mutley,
    yes I think that this is the Thomas Lancaster I am looking for, probably born Shap, interesting that his wife was from so far away. Will do some more digging. Thank you also for the inscription, that it helpful.

re Thomas Lancaster, schoolmaster

"The Court for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors
    Thomas Lancaster, formerly of Brough, in the County of Westmorland, Schoolmaster, then of the same place, Farmer, and late of the same Spirit Merchant"
    (Westmorland Gazette, 21 oct 1837)

Carlisle Journal, 14 Jul 1848
    "At Brough, Westmorland, on the 13 inst, by the Rev S Jefferson, vicar, Mr Thomas Lancaster, post-master, Brough, to Miss Sarah Crook, housemaid to the Rev L Jefferson"

Mutley

Sadly, relationships and conditions are not given in the 1841 but if the Thomas in 1841 is living with his mother Margaret (ages seem to imply it could be) and is then with Sarah, his wife, in the 1851 (assuming it is the same man) then this marriage might be theirs.

Thomas Lancaster and Sarah Crooke are on the same page in Sept 1848 at E. Ward. East Ward covers Brough.

Mutley

Helachau beat me to it but shows we are both climbing the same tree. Hope it is your tree.

A fatal accident to a pupil in the school room of a Thomas Lancaster, schoolmaster, Brough was reported in the Kendal Mercury 14 April 1849.

Cannot yet find a Thomas Lancaster, schoolmaster, in the 1851 Census - tho' FreeBMD has the death of a Thomas Lancaster, Kendal, Jun 1849, 25 385.

I don't think the 1841 Thomas Lancaster, schoolmaster is the 1851 Thomas Lancaster, post-master?

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    A fatal accident to a pupil in the school room of a Thomas Lancaster, schoolmaster, Brough was reported in the Kendal Mercury 14 April 1849.
    We have a schoolmaster in 1837, 1841 and April 1849
    We have a Postmaster in 1848 and 1851 married to Sarah
    Cannot yet find a Thomas Lancaster, schoolmaster, in the 1851 Census - tho' FreeBMD has the death of a Thomas Lancaster, Kendal, Jun 1849, 25 385.
    Neither can I find the schoolmaster after 1849.
    I don't think the 1841 Thomas Lancaster, schoolmaster is the 1851 Thomas Lancaster, post-master?
    I am not sure either. If the death certificate for the Thomas in 1849 shows a schoolmaster then that would settle it. I think!

Mutley

Some links to while away a few hours.
    Paste them into google.

northofthesands.org.uk/westmoreland/surname/202/lancaster

Shap (S). Erected to the memory of Thomas Lancaster of Brackenber who died December 24th 1832 aged 76 years.

edenlinks.co.uk/EASTWARD/BROUGH/BROUGH_DIRECTORY.HTM

https://
    users.skynet.be/lancaster/oxbridge%20lancasters.html

Thomas Lancaster s. Tho., of Barton, Westmorland, pleb. Queen's Coll., matric. 5 Nov., 1708, aged 18, B.A. 1713.

This link can be clicked
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=074-sun_2-13&cid=1-16#1-16
    Records of Sun Fire Office MS 11936/483/962519 19 January 1820.
    These documents are held at London Metropolitan Archives
    Contents:
    Insured: Thomas Lancaster Brough in Westmorland schoolmaster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast