Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowman

JackB

Question Bowman

Anyone know of Jack Bowman born 1891-93 probably ran away from home or institute at about 13yrs to become a seaman? Supposedly born Liverpool and later associated with Manchester.

jeeb

Default Jack Bowman

There is an entry on the IGI submitted by a member of the Latter Day Saints.
    It says John Bowman born 2nd Sept 1893 Liverpool Lancs. Death 1980.
    It gives his parents as John Charles Bowman and Ursula Victoria Willday.

He is born in the right period and right place and as Jack is a common derivation of John, it may be of interest to you.
    Regards Jeremy.

jeeb

Default Jack Bowman

Further to my earlier message, John mentioned on the IGI is living with his family in Cheshire on the 1901 census. The index records his mother as 'Wenta T Bowman' but on checking it clearly is Ursula V. (born Worcestershire)
    I think it may be of more interest to you, that there is also another John Bowman on the 1901 census aged 7. He is with his parents John & Catherine Bowman (hod carrier, brick lab.) and brothers, they are visitors in the home of Peter Cannon and his family in West Derby, Lancs. With the exception of Peter Cannon (born Ireland) all the rest were born in Liverpool. Whilst running the risk of being accused of being politically incorrect, I think a child living in the early 20th century in this type of background would be more likely to run away to sea than the more affulent Cheshire John who had a father who was a Wine Merchant. But who knows why children run away from home, so you will need to take your pick? Indeed your Jack Bowman may be neither of these. If you want more information let me know.
    Jeremy.

JackB

Default Jack Bowman

I really appreciate your interest and help. I have 2 MN documents, one gives his DOB as 21 Dec 1890 and the other 22 Dec 1892 both give Liverpool as place of birth. I have looked for birth cert. at CRO London and been to Kew [I had more docs. than they did!] Trouble is, if he was on the run he may have changed his name, so any lead is worth following. He died 14th November 1960 in Grimsby.
    JB

uksearch

When and what are his Manchester connections?

UK

jeeb

Default age at death

If you know his date of death at Grimsby, do you have a record of his burial or death certificate? If so what age is given? I know it is only a two year discrepancy but it may help to narrow things down.
    Jeremy

JackB

Quote Originally Posted by uksearch
    When and what are his Manchester connections?

UK
    I am not sure what his connections were. He said he came from Manchester, but would not elaborate further.
    JB

JackB

Quote Originally Posted by jeeb
    If you know his date of death at Grimsby, do you have a record of his burial or death certificate? If so what age is given? I know it is only a two year discrepancy but it may help to narrow things down.
    Jeremy
    Yes I have his death certificate. It gives his age as 69. However this is information I gave when applying for the certificate! At that time I had his DOB as 1891 and it was only as I went through his effects that I discovered the other date. I hazard a guess that his later DOB was given to enable him to continue his job in the MN.
    JB

jeeb

Default Jack Bowman's age

If as you say he died October 1960 and his birth was December 1890 then the age of 69 is correct on his death certificate. The age you gave when applying for the certificate would make no difference to the age at death on the certificate as that was put there in 1960. If I was you, I would search for a birth in 1890, that is most likely to be correct. He would have no real reason to lie about his age in 1960 surely.
    Jeremy

jeeb

Default opps!

Sorry I meant November 1960 but the same rule still applies. J.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast