Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Aussie Shep

Note that the FMP entry refers merely to a William Norris, not a W H Norris.

I have now done a little more 'digging'. If you can wait for two-and-a-half weeks, I should be able to tell you what the Leigh on Sea inscription says. You will need to send me a PM on the 13th September to remind me to look it up when I go to London on the Saturday.

And/or, contact Clacton library. https://microsites.
    essexcc.gov.uk/libraries/findalibrary/libdetail.asp?LibID=19
    They don't say that they hold local newspapers, but if they don't they should be able to tell you who does.
    You have a date of death, so whichever library holds the papers should be willing to look for an obituary and/or a report of the funeral in the following two or three weeks issues.

Pam
    Hi Pam, I called up my dad who has a huge map of England and we sat there looking at the distance between Holland on Sea and Leigh on Sea and yep I agree a good map is essential 
    I can indeed wait 2 weeks thank you so much it is very kind of you. I have put a reminder in my phone to remind me to pm you on the 13th.
    Thank you for the link I emailed them the other day I am still waiting to hear back.

Aussie Shep

I have just been advised from the Essex County Council LIbraries that the newspaper covering Holland on Sea in 1993 was the Clacton Gazette. Clacton Library has it on microfilm but would not be able to provide a search service:-(

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Shep View Post
    I have just been advised from the Essex County Council LIbraries that the newspaper covering Holland on Sea in 1993 was the Clacton Gazette. Clacton Library has it on microfilm but would not be able to provide a search service:-(
    Have you contacted the Essex RO? I know that they have newspapers on microfilm as I have seen them. They are very good at helping people who are unable to visit the RO.

Aussie Shep

Thank you Jan I will send them a email. I received a email this morning from Essex Council advising that sorry we cannot help with your enquiry we only keep burial and cremation records for 5 years. We cannot think of anyone who may be able to help going back that far, but for info the largest burial site near to holland on sea is Burrs Road , Clacton and the nearest crematorium is Weeley, perhaps you could try e mailing them. :-(

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Shep View Post
    Thank you Jan I will send them a email. I received a email this morning from Essex Council advising that sorry we cannot help with your enquiry we only keep burial and cremation records for 5 years. We cannot think of anyone who may be able to help going back that far, but for info the largest burial site near to holland on sea is Burrs Road , Clacton and the nearest crematorium is Weeley, perhaps you could try e mailing them. :-(
    I would write back to Essex Council reminding them that they have an obligation under the The Cemeteries Clauses Act 1847 to keep records of all burials in their cemeteries.
    Furthermore the above Act requires them to comply with the Births and Deaths Registration Act 1836 with regard to the consecrated section of the cemetery and allow searches to be made in such registers by members of the public free of charge.

If they are simply disposing to the registers they are breaking the law.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

jac65

Hi

Does Essex Council actually control any cemeteries? A check of the Council A to Z does not appear to have any reference to Cemeteries or Burials.

I think Holland on Sea comes under Tendring District Council and it looks like they control several cemeteries.

https://www.tendringdc.gov.uk/environ...ium/cemeteries

Andy

Aussie Shep

Quote Originally Posted by jac65 View Post
    Hi

Does Essex Council actually control any cemeteries? A check of the Council A to Z does not appear to have any reference to Cemeteries or Burials.

I think Holland on Sea comes under Tendring District Council and it looks like they control several cemeteries.

https://www.tendringdc.gov.uk/environ...ium/cemeteries

Andy
    I did email Weeley Crematorium as advised by Essex council but have been told there is no record of him:-(

Reputation beyond repute

Does Essex Council actually control any cemeteries?
    I wouldn't think so. It's normally a district council responsibility.

Aussie Shep

SUCCESS. I have been emailing Tendring Council and they did an original search but nothing was found. Well last night I received an email from them saying William Herbert Norris, is buried in Clacton Cemetery, Burrs Road, Great Clacton, Clacton on Sea, CO15 4LF and is the only person at rest in Grave AB.222.

They are conducting a search to see if there is a headststone and will take a photo and send me a map of his location.

So from this I am going to have another probate search conducted for a longer search period and see if he did have a will.
    Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123