Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    gemmaallen1977

Question Todd/Collins Marriage Certificate

I have now received the marriage certificate for my great-grandmother's first marriage to Charles Collins. However I still cannot find a birth for him. They married in December 1923 in Woolwich, Charles Collins is aged 19 years and a clerk with the R.F.A. and his residence is Royal Artillery Barracks Woolwich. He father is deceased and is James (undecipherable) Collins. His father was a stoker with the Royal Navy. Therefore if anybody could help me decipher this unknown name I would be very grateful, I don't think I can post an attachment to here?? or if anybody has any ideas as to how I can find out who this disappearing Charles Collins was or where and when he was born? Thanks, Gemma.

Jan1954

Hello Gemma

You can post to the forum by using a site like Photobucket. Instructions on what to do are here. Just post a snippet and we will try to work out what it says.

Del 80

Hello, I have a similar situation, to the one being discussed, in a family that I am tracing in Scotland, may I just ask ,if the person is missing, and then declared dead ,do they then show up [on certs] as being deceased ? allthough there is a chance that they are still alive?...........Del.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

MAny times on marriages a Parent is said to be dead, for many reasons. Truth-deceased. wish- family troubles, unknown.
    If deceased can be proven with certificates GRO deaths all good. Otherwise take with a grain of the usual.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Mutley

If you can post a section of the marriage certificate it would be useful.
    Do you think the name might be Jessie?

There is a Jessie Collins at Chatham in the 1911 census. He is a leading Stoker in the Royal Navy. He says born 1882 in Canterbury.

Problem is that he is single and I would have thought he should have been married because Charles would have been born by then, unless Charles was illegitimate and is with his mother somewhere.

The other problem is that Jessie is a female name and there are loads of them, I am struggling to find a male.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post

The other problem is that Jessie is a female name and there are loads of them, I am struggling to find a male.
    The male versions of the name seem to be Jess, Jesse or Jesiah.

gemmaallen1977

Hi everybody thanks for your posts and your help, here is the link to the marriage cert of Elizabeth Todd and Charles Collins....

or an alternative link is

https://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...2/e3327cb8.jpg

All help in deciphering Charles Collins' dad's name would be greatly appreciated. I know his name is James ???? Collins.

Thanks

Gemmahttps://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...2/e3327cb8.jpg

Mutley

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you meant it looked like James.

But what it is, I don't really know.
    It seems to end in ***swell.
    I thought at first it was Guyswell but looking at his other 'y' letters they have a straight tail.
    If you look at the word England it has a loop to the 'g' which is the same as in the name.
    I cannot make out the first letter, it does not look like the 'E' in Elizabeth.
    I wondered about Kingswell but it does not look like a 'K'.

It may not be a first name, it is possible that it is a surname from the maiden side of the family.
    I've looked in the census for a James born about 1875 +/- 3 which puts him in his later 20s when Charles was born but I cannot see one with a middle name anything like it. Lots with initials and of course, we do not know where he was born.

I'll keep looking and hope someone can help more.

gemmaallen1977

Unhappy

Thanks for trying Mutley! I've been asking everybody I've seen and nobody can work out what this says!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I wonder if it's a fancy 'F'? Freyswell.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast