dimity

Default First tentative steps

Hello everyone. I seem to have been researching for ever although it's only about 16 years in fact. Various family legends have been disproved along the way, which is a shame, especially the one about being decended from Captain Cook and I've not found any Earls or murderers lurking in the mists, although I DID discover that my husband is distantly related to Elizabeth Barrett Browning. That was exciting. The most intriguing thing about my family seems to be that, no matter which way I turn I find Mariners; all Merchant seamen of various ranks, sailing to the four corners of the globe. My favourite is my g grandfather, Edward Homer, who captained the Brig Asterope on six voyages to New Zealand between 1869 and 1877. The round trip used to take 9 months and it was on a small wooden ship 172 feet long and weighing 600 tons. Some of the ship's logs make your toes curl at the hardships they all had to endure, especially during stormy weather. Edward actually died at sea on board the Asterope and I've never been able to locate a death certificate for him. I think, as he was born in Ireland, and as all sailors who died at sea had their effects returned to their country of birth for some odd reason even if they had lived and worked in another country entirely, and as so many of the precious Irish records went up in smoke in 1921, my search is in vain! Anyway, my main areas of interest are..... Yorkshire, London, Kent, Rutland and South Africa. Keeps me busy. My only regret is that I now live in Greece and the only research I can manage is over the internet, sometimes a snare and a delusion as facts can't be checked accurately and there's no chance to see and feel or go to visit the neighbourhood or anything like that. Still... the weather's better here!
    I hope I haven't bored anybody's who's had a look at my post. I'm going to have a plod around the site now to see if i can work it out. So, thanks for looking and Bye for now.

dimity

I've just come back to the site, having neglected it for umpteen number of years and notice that my previous, and only, post seems not to have been looked at at all!
    Perhaps I'd better do a bit more 'training' and find out where I went wrong....

On the contrary, it had 750 views, but nobody could help....
    Possibly because it was in Introduce Yourself, possibly because it was so long, possible nobody know the answer.
    Now, we have new members, there is more info on line, and you have more experience.
    Pick a specific person or two that you want to look at first, and start a threa about them.

If you want some new thoughts on formulating queries, take a look at the top of the Finding Your Feet forum where I have left a message about Helping Us To Help You.

Welcome back!

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

If you don't ask questions, you can't really expect answers really.
    This was essentialy a resume' of your family history, so no questions or queries to answer.

Welcome back, and now you have the chance to put those queries out there.

Good luck and good hunting.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Hello Dimity,

As others have said, if you post your queries on a relevant forum telling us as much as you know members will try their best to help.

I look forward to seeing your queries and wish you luck in resolving them Once you are familiarised with the site join in where you can.

I hope you enjoy your time spent on Brit-Gen.
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

One thing that has changed dramatically since 2012 when you made your first post is the number of "original" records now available online.
    The big online genealogical companies are investing heavily in producing digital copies of these original records of parish registers to compliment their census images so being in a different country is less of a problem now than it was in the past.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.