Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

The civil registers in France are local, there is no national index. Thanks to Helachau finding the death notice of his death in Pau in 1888, I searched on line to see if the registers for Pau were on line... and bingo they are. Not indexed, but each yearly register has an index at the end. Pau is less than 100 km from where I live!

https://archives.agglo-pau.fr/4DCGI/...475/ILUMP29119

Mona,
    Thanks for locating the record. I didn't have time last night to follow up the newspaper find.
    I have always started searching for French records at "Departement" level and drilling down to find the screen that offers "L'Etat Civil" access. Which is how I tracked Pedro earlier today.

However, I just googled "pau archives en ligne" and got to the required "L'Etat Civil" somewhat quicker!! Thanks for steer.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

L’an mil huit cent quatre-vingt-huit et le dix huit Décembre à quatre heures en soir, devant nous Adjoint délégué Officier de l’État-Civil de la Ville de Pau, département des Basses-Pyrénees, sont comparus les suivis Adrien Beyrière, âgé de vingt quatre ans, instituteur & Romain Coste, âgé de quarante trois ans, garde municipal, domiciliés à Pau. lesquels nous ont déclaré que Pedro Blanco, âgé de cinquante ans, rentier, né à Manilla, Iles Philppines, domincilié à Pau, époux de Martha Kendall est décédé hier à trois heurs et demie en soir en cette ville maison Sauban (?) Lalanne, rue d’Orléans nº 6 et ont les déclarants signé avec nous le présent acte après leur en a été fait lecture.

In the year one thousand eight hundred and eighty-eight and the eighteenth of December at four o'clock in the evening, in front of the Deputy Assistant Officer of the Civil Registry of the City of Pau, Department of the Basses-Pyrenees, appear the following - Adrien Beyrière, twenty-four years old, teacher & Romain Coste, forty-three years old, municipal guard (local police), living in Pau. who told us that Pedro Blanco, aged fifty, rentier, born in Manilla, Philippines Islands, living in Pau, husband of Martha Kendall died yesterday at half-past three in the evening in this town, house of Sauban (?) Lalanne, rue d'orleans nº 6 and the declarants, after having read the present act, have signed along with us.

“rentier” someone who lives off income from property or investments

signatures of two witnesses and officer

Starting to feel at home

Thank you so much for your help - that is amazing. Now I have a new line of enquiry in my family tree.
    Would you be able to find out if his wife was with him or if he was living there on business ? I know he was a Ship Broker.
    Thanks so much.

I have not found any other info. There is no census of Pau between 1841 and 1901. I presume Martha was still alive when he died as it states “spouse of” and not widower of. To find her death you would need to know the year. Did they have any children?

FreeBMD has the death registration of a Martha Blanco, age 71, Mar Qtr 1920, Ormskirk (Lancashire), vol 8b, page 1241
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

If she was with him in Pau, she returned to England after his death as she is in the 1891 census with the two younger sons. So I have answered my own question!

Starting to feel at home

Hi I have another question for you- do you know if there is a way to find a death certificate in France? Or why he was in France? I can’t find any passenger records for travel to France or details of being a land owner which is stated on the death record.
    Was hoping that you living in France would know where I could start looking online perhaps??
    Many thanks in advance.
    Kerry

I posted the image from the register but it seems to have disappeared. The death certificate (acte de décès) is a copy from this register. so no need to apply for one, which is done at the Mairie (town hall) of the town the death took place. You need to know the place and date of death. There is no central index as exists in the UK.

Here it is again:

If not go to the registers from the link I provided, find 1888 register and it is on Vue 98.

I am not aware of any records of people travelling to France. No land ownership records are online.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Mona that’s great. It’s a shame it doesn’t say cause of death. That’s what I was hoping to find out as 50 is quite young. Would this also be the hospital record?
    Cheers 😁.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast