Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pottoka

Colin, you mentioned accents on the marriage certificate. Were they acute accents - é - or grave accents - è - or possibly both, as in Védère, Vèdère, Védéré ... Were there any circumflexes - ê - perhaps?

And what was Antoine's occupation?

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    Colin, you mentioned accents on the marriage certificate. Were they acute accents - é - or grave accents - è - or possibly both, as in Védère, Vèdère, Védéré ... Were there any circumflexes - ê - perhaps?

And what was Antoine's occupation?
    Having had a much closer look at this certificate, the accents seem to indicate both types as indicated in the bold name in the quote box. But and it is a big but, there are no accents at all in the name of the father - so could these just be marks on my copy that was sent from the GRO?

Dominique stated his occupation as Artist. Somehow I think, the performer in a touring company of singers would indicate his occupation, possibly as a Singer or as an Artiste to differentiate between the 2.

As for the father Antoine, he is not indicated as deceased. His occupation is listed, but it is awfully difficult to read and may even be what Dominique said - in French - and written accordingly. I don't have a scanner so cannot upload a copy to the forum.

Pretty useless aren't I?

Colin

Artist? Artiste?

mmmmmm?

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    I don't have a scanner so cannot upload a copy to the forum.

Pretty useless aren't I?

Colin
    NO!

Don't talk rubbish ... if I had to use the family PC to come on to B-G, I'd never be around! It works more slowly than a sloth, and I just can't take it (my phlegmatic husband takes it in his stride). But we can't afford to buy a new one.

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Still searching - a search today on google has found a French artist and photo. What dosen't help is that this person is alive, is French and unfortunately [for me] female.

Definitely not the person I am looking for.

Colin
    Yes, there are some first names in French which can be given to a boy or a girl; well, same in English, I suppose, I knew a (male) Hilary at school, and there must be others.

Dominique is a very common one, or there's Claude, Camille, Stéphane - and others further back in history: Anne de Montmorency was a soldier, statesman, diplomat and Marshal of France (1493-1567)!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12