Mary Anne

Default Maeshafodygelli, a farm in Denbigh in 1880s

Hello all

I am curious about a property that was left in an 1888 will by an ancestor of my husband's, Thomas Minshall, a solicitor who lived in Oswestry. Minshall mentions a "farm and lands" in Denbigh called "Maeshafodygelli" (sic). On Google Earth, there is an image of a place west of Oswestry that is identified as

Maes Hafod y Gelli, Llangadwaladr, Llansilin, Sir Drefaldwyn

Can anyone tell me more? How would I find out if there are any old photographs of the farm? I am not being very successful about finding anything on Google!!

Thank you all

Mary Anne

I find Google Maps easier than Google Earth. Type in Llangadwaladr, Powys SY10 and zoom in.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Wd "your" Thomas be Alderman Thomas Minshall, died 17 Apr 1890?

Occupying Maes Hafod y Gelli at the time of the '91 Census (ref RG12 2115 35 7) was a Richard Jones (still resident in 1911).

There was an 1857 court case involving "Catherine Downes and others" (Plaintiff) and a "T.Sides" (Defendant) that mentioned "Maeshafodygelli". The case was one of "title deeds and ancient wills...."

Googling "maeshafodygelli" delivers the "Stamboomzoeker" site! - "llansilin in "geboorteplaats" and hitting "zoeken" delivers a mention of the place.

Found it on an 1880 OS map.

Otherwise "slim pickin's"

Mary Anne

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    There was an 1857 court case involving "Catherine Downes and others" (Plaintiff) and a "T.Sides" (Defendant) that mentioned "Maeshafodygelli". The case was one of "title deeds and ancient wills...."

Otherwise "slim pickin's"
    Indeed it was Alderman Thomas MINSHALL. Given the name on the censuses, I would assume Richard Jones was a sitting tenant at the farm. I have no idea the degree to which the family used it themselves.

"slim pickins" indeed! you are so right!

Can you tell me how you found the court case, helachau? I assume Google, but I can't get anything to come up ... what's your secret? ;-))

Mary Anne

Ken_R

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    How would I find out if there are any old photographs of the farm? I am not being very successful about finding anything on Google!!

Mary Anne
    Just a thought. Have you any idea as to when the property may last have been sold as a viable building for occupation?

I'm thinking along the lines of an Estate Agent (in the U.S. they are called Realtors) who, buried in their archives, just might have an old photograph. Obviously, you'd need to target family businesses in the area that have a long history in the profession, rather than the Bank/Building Society chains.

IIRC. I can't recall anyone suggesting contact with the local Family History Society. I haven't done it myself, and I wouldn't know which to suggest but.......along will come someone who can.

It's just that a year or so ago, I had traced a 'rellie' to an obscure village in Shropshire and when I did a search on the house name, it was up for sale with [current] photographs 'for the picking'.

Naughty I know. But do I care.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Google "Alderman Thomas Minchall" and you should find a link to a picture of the gentleman in question: https://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpainti...18801881-53810