Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LilyAllenFan86

Default Robeston Wathen records

I have been trying to find the baptism, marriage & burial records for Robeston Wathen in Pembrokeshire where my 2x great Grandmother Mrs Margaret Davies was born in abt 1833, she had married William Davies of Narbeth the marriage date is unknown to me as of yet as there are a few possible marriages both in Narbeth and the Neath Registration district in Glamorgan where they spent their married lives in Briton Ferry, Baglan and Michaelston Lower.
    If someone could help me out with the parish records then maybe I can determine which is the right marriage for them.
    Kind Regards
    Beth

Jan1954

Hello Beth,

According to this page on GENUKI, the parish records for Robeston Wathen for the time span that you are searching are held by the Pembrokeshire Record Office. Perhaps a day trip (take sandwiches) to the office would pay off. If not, then maybe an email or telephone call asking them to undertake a look-up would bear fruit.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Findmypast has Robeston Wathan parish registers as follows:
    Baptisms Burials Marriages
    From To From To From To
    1790 1912 1813 1968 1814 1925

I had a very quick look and could not see a marriage of William Davies. Do you know what you Gt Grandmother's maiden name was? You could get it from one of their children's birth certificates. I assume that they married in the 1850s, and a lot of my ancestors at about this time married in registery offices - I assume it was cheaper!

If you do decide to visit the Record Office then beware that they are in the process of moving and their opening hours have changed to accomodate this.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I had a very quick look and could not see a marriage of William Davies. Do you know what you Gt Grandmother's maiden name was?
    It looks as though it was DAVIES as well - according to this earlier thread.

Beth - in your earlier thread, you said that Margaret's baptism was 1829, but now you are saying that she was born about 1833. What is the source for this different date, please?

Orielbenfro

Default Baptism of Margaret Davies at Robeston Wathen

There is no baptism of a Margaret Davies in or around Robeston Wathen circa 1833 in the established church. The nearest is a Margaret Davies baptized at Narberth 17 Feb 1831 the dau of William & Mary Davies.
    I have been unable to establish of all the William Davies to Mary (Various) mrge’s in the area which one would equate to the above.
    The alternative being that Margaret was baptized N-C.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro

Reputation beyond repute

The alternative being that Margaret was baptized N-C.
    Non conformist births and baptisms can be searched online at bmdregisters.co.uk

LilyAllenFan86

well the different census records that she is in states her birth between 1929-1833 I should have said that in the beginning sorry.

Orielbenfro

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Non conformist births and baptisms can be searched online at bmdregisters.co.uk
    They can be when they exist.

IMHO and extensive research into Pembroke N-C there only exists a maximum of about 6 to 10% at best of N-C registers available for Pembrokeshire.

As you will note elsewhere I have transcribed in full some of the few available periods that are available. L.D.S. microfilmed all Pembroke N-C registers years ago and these appear with them.

The up side is that if you relate to Brynberian or Molston N-C then records start around the 1690’s except for mrge ofcourse which upto 1837 was always in established church except for Quaker and Jewish mrge’s.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro

Reputation beyond repute

They can be when they exist.
    Sorry but I'm not sure what you're getting at. Nobody has records that don't exist!

IMHO and extensive research into Pembroke N-C there only exists a maximum of about 6 to 10% at best of N-C registers available for Pembrokeshire.
    Again I'm not clear what you mean.

BMDRegisters are official "partners" (ie contractors) of the National Archives and only claim to include the National Archives collection of non-parochial records. So far as non-conformists are concerned, these are mainly the registers that were handed over to the Non-parochial Registers Commissions of 1837 and 1857 and birth registrations from the Presbyterian, Independent and Baptist Registry (Dr Williams) and from the Wesleyan Methodist Metropolitan Registry.

In all regions, there are registers which weren't handed over as part of those exercises and which may now be found in County Record Offices or equivalent repositories.

There are some post-1837 non-conformist BMD records in the National Archives RG class but basically we're really talking about pre-civil registration records.

So are you saying that BMDRegisters haven't fully digitised the registers that they should have done? Or are you saying that a large proportion (90%?) of pre-civil registration non-conformist registers didn't make it to the National Archives but are now available elsewhere (Pembrokeshire Record Office? National Library of Wales?)

L.D.S. microfilmed all Pembroke N-C registers years ago
    I think you must be talking about at least two separate exercises here - one at the National Archives and one or more in Wales.

Orielbenfro

Robeston Wathen Mrge Registers

22nd May 1858 John James of full age a bach and sadler of the parish of Tenby the son of Benjmain James a Sadler mrd Margaret Davies of full age a spinster of Robeston Wathen the daughter of John Davies a Labourer by banns in front of R.L. Green Curate. Both signed their names in the presence of George Griffiths and Hannah James.

Neither John nor Hannah James appear to have been baptized at Tenby.

It appears lightly that Benjamin James a widow mrd Hester Thomas at Gumfreston 29 Nov 1832

Rgds
    Orielbenfro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast