lisagarnham

Default Marriage Certificates - 1892

Firstly - please forgive my ignorance!

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what a marriage certificate from 1892 would show.

I am looking for an ancestor who's first concrete trace is his marriage in 1892. I have the GRO index reference and I also have the marriage banns. The problem is the banns show a false name for the groom's father and I'm having a lot of trouble finding his birth. I believe he is an illegitimate child, but can't prove it - yet!

Would ordering a copy of the marriage certificate help me? Or could/would this have falsified entries like the banns?

Thanks!!

Jan1954

Hi there,

Have a read of this and it will explain all about the certificate.

The thing is, churches accepted the information that they were given so, if a ficticious father was named, no proof of existence was asked for.

lisagarnham

Ok - so I think what I already have is the same thing that would appear on the copy of the certificate.

I have a scan of the image from the London, England, Marriage and Banns 1754 - 1921 from A***, showing the fake father's name. So this is the same image as would appear on the certificate, I take it?

Argh!

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by lisagarnham View Post
    I have a scan of the image from the London, England, Marriage and Banns 1754 - 1921 from A***, showing the fake father's name. So this is the same image as would appear on the certificate, I take it?
    I do not have access to Ancestry (unless I pop to the library) and so I cannot confirm, but I would expect the certificate to contain the same information as is held in the parish register.

lisagarnham

Thanks - back to the drawing board it is then...!