SloopJB

Default Mills Bishopstrow -Norton Bavant West Knoyle

Hi members,
    Researching Richard Mills and Mills family in general from Bishopstrow Wiltshire in 1700s.

Richard Mills and wife Elizabeth ( nee Hains born Norton Bavant) appear in 1841 census for West Knoyle.
    They are age 53 and 50 respectively which means Richard was born circa 1787/8.

In 1851 census Elizabeth is aged 64 a widow.
    When did Richard die, etc. ?

Richard and Elizabeth were married in West Knoyle in 1805.

Is anyone researching this Mills family?
    I know there are trees related on ancestry but have to go to the library to use and have not been able to make contact yet.

Does anyone have access to records for Bishopstrow and/or Norton Bavant in the 1700s?

Any advice or information or just a contact from someone interested Mills or Hains in this part of Wiltshire would be most appreciated.

Best Regards to all, Sloop.

SloopJB

Hi Again,

I can see a number of you have viewed my earlier post.

My own family history society recently hosted a large free FH event and Wiltshire were there.

I checked the Baptism for Bishopstrow in the hard copy and was considering buying this or a CD version.
    To my dismay I could not find any Mills names in the index not even Richard Mills bapt 1786.

I know I need to go to the record office which they informed me is no longer at Trowbridge, how things change!

Anyway on off chance popped into library whilst waiting for my wife and found not just a few but lots of Mills baptism and marriages for Bishpstrow. The source as now I am getting very confused is the '...Society UTAH' aka the mormons.
    I know mistakes can be made but I do not see the mormons making that many?

Please could someone who is knowledgeable from Wiltshire please check for me in Bishopstrow records index.

The family I am looking for starts with Richard Mills born circa 1786.

It seems his parents were John and Jane possibly Wigmore ??? married CastleCombe 1 May 1774.

John also seems to have been born Bishopstrow 9 Sept 1738 and baptised 10 Sept 1738 parents Edward and Anne.
    I guess I need to check the burials as John was only one day old when baptised and may have died, so would not be my John.

If he is my John then his parents could be Edward Mills and Anne Arnold who married in Bishopstrow on 17 Sept 1736 again source is Mormons microfilm 2nd edition 2002.

SloopJB

I have not been able to check any further back yet to find a Baptism / parents for Anne Arnold.

How could WFHS miss out all the Mills entries from their printed index ???

Any help or advice most welcome.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Why not contact WFHS to ask them? I expect the research team would check to see if the surname is missing from the index. I have seen the index for some parishes get quite muddled; perhaps the place you looked for the name was not as ordered as it should have been. Google the society to get their email address. pwholt