L Murphy

Default Can I get.... marriage certificate

Is it possible to get a copy of marriage certificate from 1780?

I have details but don't know where to get information, I need to find out the couple's parents etc.

Joseph Goundry married Mary Bulmer 22 May 1780 at St. Andrews, Auckland, Durham.

Batch No. M00021-5 Film No. 434934

Thank you Lynn

Knowledgeable and helpful

Marriage certificates as such were not issued until 1837 before that all marriages were recorded in the parish records. Rose's act of 1813 required that the names of parents should be included in the register but before that date this was not a requirement. Though witnesses to the marriage may sometimes give you a clue to the parentage. Others may be able to give you more information than me.

Coromandel

You can see the Bishop's transcript of the marriage here, courtesy of FamilySearch. It does at least say which parish bride and groom were from at the time of the marriage. No sign of witnesses' names, though, which you might expect in a register of this date. The parish register may contain this information.

I note that they married by licence, which means there may be some further paperwork, potentially with more clues. There are some Durham marriage licence records on FamilySearch, I think. Will just go and check . . .

Nicolina

according to Free Reg. Mary BULMER was from Heighington. Unfortunately no witness or parent's names here either.
    There are, however, a couple of other marriages that might be connected.
    23 Aug 1779 Jacob GOUNDRY to Margaret LEE @ St. Andrews, Auckland. (no ther info.)

6 Feb 1759 George GOUNDRY to Ann SEARL @ St. Helen's, Auckland. (possible parents?)

Coromandel

The marriage licence bond can be seen here and on the next image.

Here we learn that Joseph, a bachelor aged 21 or over, was a yeoman from Eldon. His bondsman was John Harper, innkeeper, of the City of Durham. Joseph's bride-to-be was also at least 21, a spinster. I can't make out her abode, something like Chapel Eff.

Edit: or perhaps more likely, Aycleff, meaning Aycliffe?

Reputation beyond repute

Rose's act of 1813 required that the names of parents should be included in the register but before that date this was not a requirement.
    I'm afraid it didn't.

The Act specified that the form of entry in the marriage register should be -

MARRIAGES Solemnized in the Parish of St. A. in the County of B. in the Year One thousand eight hundred and thirteen.

A.B. of {the/this} Parish

Were married in this {church/chapel} by {Banns/Licence} with Consent of {Parents/Guardians}
    this Day of in the Year
    By me, I.I. {Rector/Vicar/Curate}

This Marriage was Solemnized between us {A.B/C.D.

In the Presence of {E.F./G.H.