mikebannister

Question David Deane & Mary ??

Hi Everbody,
    I am new to this forum, though have been involved in a number of others.
    After a considerable period of searching by various members of our family we may have started to crack the wall that we have been working on regarding the Dean Family.
    I am looking for the marriage of David Deane to Mary. I think I have them in the 1881 census living at Waltham St Lawrence, Berkshire David, Mary and daughter Mary, I thought that was their first child but even going back 10 years I have not found any marriage. Without this link I am unable to confirm Mary's Surname and David's Fathers name which is imperative in going back any further. I do know that by the 6th December 1881 they were in Donnington Lincolnshire where they had changed their name to Davis and where my Grandmother was born. Mary is stated as wife on the census form and I know that can be inaccurate but I need to pursue this as far as possible. Would anyone have access to the parish records for Waltham St Lawrence, who could do a lookup for me around the late 1870's up to the 1881 census. Any help would be gratefully received
    Many Thanks
    Mike Bannister
    Albury Australia
    Where the Murray meets the Mountains

k0065126

Default David Deane & Mary

Mike,

It is possible that they did not marry, or married after the birth of their first born. Birth certificates usually give the mother's maiden name so that may be worth trying.

If you can find them in the 1881 to 1901 censuses and the place of birth is consistent then the marriage could have taken place in the home parish of either of them.

And of course you may have to consider every spelling of the name - Dean, Deane, Deen, Dein.

If they changed their name are you sure that it was from Dean(e)?

Good luck,

Viv
    Monmouth 1871 co-ordinator for FreeCEN
    Free census indexes for all

Harry

Angry David Deane and Mary

Mike,

Have you got a few more details i.e. ages of David and Mary, where they were born ??. Or even the GRO reference for the 1881 census.

Harry

mikebannister

Smile David Dean & Mary

Thank you Viv and Harry for your responses
    Viv I recognise that they may not have got married but I thought that until I had exhausted the possibility that the marriage certificate might have furnished me with a lot of details that I don't have, including a maiden name for Mary so that I could pursue that birth certificate. Sometime our families do prove to be elusive, but I am not sure yet if this was intentional or otherwise.
    Harry
    This information may or may not be accurate but is the best I have at present
    From the 1881 Census RG11/1315/13
    Folio: 94
    Page: 3
    Address 12 Benhams Heath, Waltham St Lawrence
    David Deane 25 Labourer Newbury Berkshire
    Mary Deane 22 NK Dorking Surrey
    Mary Deane 1 Waltham St Lawrence Berkshire
    The e on the end is dropped in 1891 and 1901
    In 1891 the family have moved to Surrey (I think) and I have them at Long Ditton The family now includes my grandmother Sarah(9), Daniel (7), Lucy (5), Elizabeth (4), Anne (3Months), Mary is not recorded
    In 1901 I have them not far away at Tolworth in Surrey, with Daniel now 17 and Anne now 9, plus new additions Emily (7) and Kate (3)
    My grandmother Sarah has left the family in 1901 and is working as a barmaid and states her birthplace as Lincolnshire, I have her birth certificate which confirms that she was born in Donnington Lincolnshire as Sarah Ann Davis
    Family scuttlebutt says that David was wanted by the police and thus the reason for moving and the name change. Any further assistance would be most gratefully received
    Regards
    Mike Bannister
    Albury Australia
    Where the Murray Meets the Mountains

Reputation beyond repute

"I have her birth certificate which confirms that she was born in Donnington Lincolnshire as Sarah Ann Davis"

What were the parents' names shown as?

I'm thinking you probably need one or two more birth certificates to clarify the situation.

mikebannister

Question David Dean and Mary

Dear Peter,
    Herein lies the problem, David Dean, because of his brush with the law became David Davis and Mary Deane became Mary Anne Davis formerly Dean, so those names were of littl;e use when it came to searching for birth certificates, that is why I am fixated on the marriage cert, if there is one. However if you could suggest and altenate stategy I would be most grateful.
    If I knew for definite birthplaces I guess it would be easier
    Regards
    Mike Bannister
    Albury Australia

Reputation beyond repute

Have you located all the children in the GRO index? Were they all registered as Davis?

And are you saying that they consistently recorded their surname as Dean(e) in the censuses?

If so it's an odd way of concealing ones identity!

Perhaps if you get at least the earliest and perhaps also the latest locatable birth for one of the children, it might shed more light on matters.

mikebannister

Thumbs up David Dean & Mary

Thanks Peter I will start that process over the next few days and let you all know the results
    Kind Regards
    Mike Bannister
    Albury Australia
    Where the Murray Meets the Mountains

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, Mike Bannister,
    I saw on a thread (in another place) a Mike Bannister, from Albury - Wodonga asking for information about 'Paxton Park Maternity Home' in Little Paxton, where he was born. I, too was born there, and I tried to communicate with him in this regard, but the thread was closed and I was unable to.
    Please contact me, through this forum, if you still have some unanswered questions on this subject.
    Thank-you
    Regards,
    Grahame Dunn

As one of the other Mods has already pointed out on another thread, Mike Bannister is no longer a member of the forum, so he will not see this as his email address will no longer be in our system.