Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brick wall demolition expert!

There is this Annie lised on the New Zealand, electoral rolls, although I would have thought she would have been in Wellington if anywhere. There is also a William Frank DYSON in 1935. Perhaps someone could check these out.

1919 Electoral Roll, Parnell, Auckland
    Annie Elizabeth Dyson

1935 Electoral Roll, Wellington North, Wellington
    William Frank Dyson

Note: I can also see Peter Craigie McGill in the 1919 electoral rolls in Wellington. There is also an entry for Peter Craigie McGill in the Auckland War Memorial database.

https://
    muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/Cenotaph/67767.detail?Ordinal=1&c_surname_search=mcgill&c_f irstname_search=peter+craigie

I've been wondering about the two children of Burrows Frank Royal DYSON and Edith Alice WILLIAMS. Well, one child was a son and his name was Richard Herbert DYSON (after his uncle I presume) and he was born on 4 December 1917 at Christchurch. He died on the 9th November 2006. He was in the army and reached the rank of Major. He had a sister and her intials were M. M. Dyson.

From the Auckland Star published on 25 January 1941

DYSON--HIGGINS. The engagement is announced between 2nd Lieutenant Richard Herbert Dyson, N.Z.E.F. (Egypt), son of the late Mr. B. F. Dyson and Mrs Dyson of Christchurch, and Shirley Patricia, only daughter of Mr and Mrs C. W. Higgins, of Christchurch.

Here is the cenotaph record for Richard Herbert DYSON jnr.

https://
    muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/Cenotaph/135939.detail?Ordinal=9&c_surname_search=dyson

There is also a photo of Brigadier Graham Parkinson, Major Richard Herbert Dyson and personnel, taken on 28 Jun 1944 at at Arce, Italy during WWII. Not sure who is who though!
    Photograph taken by George Kaye

www.
    digitalnz.org/records/23170538

Well FredP, there are a few more bits and bobs on Burrows DYSON on PapersPast. For example there is a short notice relating to a patent. His name is also listed amongst many others under the heading - Wellington Recruiting District No. 5. - Dyson Burrows F. R., 307 Willis-street, estimating clerk and draughtsman.
    Evening Post, Volume XCII, Issue 126, 24 November 1916, Page 3

So, I would recommend a good look through the papers on that site to see what else you can pick up.

There are also some probate records on the NZ Archives Archway site that may be of interest. There is a probate record relating to Richard Herbert DYSON (as well as his military records), also a probate record for Burrows Frank Royal DYSON (1927) and another for Edith Alice DYSON (1950) and one for Ellen Florence MCGILL (1977). There is also a probate record for Annie Elizabeth DYSON (1931).

Just go here and enter their names.

FredP

Thank you Olliecat and Coromandel, This is far more information than I ever expected. I will have to wait till my return from holiday to sort it all out, but I will also, as soon as possible, get the death cet for a William Dyseon aged 85 who died in England Sep qtr 1949 - Surrey South East 5 g 556.
    FredP.

FredP

Unfortunately the death certificate does not seem to be for the right William Dyson though the age is correct and the area a possibility if he had returned from NZ. Will have to look for a death there. FredP.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

William Frank Dyson married Annie Elizabeth formerly Tanner & had a boy Frank William Burrows Dyson. Richard Herbert Dyson did not die in the war. Lived a long & happy life in New Zealand. Had two children.

FredP

Thanks Pamela.
    Practically all I know about this branch of my family appears on this site.
    I found that Annie Elizabeth was baptised in Nursling, Hants by my grandmother Georgina Tanner from Ringwood and that the name Colson in her name was possibly the father. There was a Colson neighbour in Ringwood, but also others in Sth Hants. She seems to have been brought up by John Tanner, Georgina's father.
    I should like to know more about Richard's family if that is possible, FredP.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello all
    My niece, Cosima Gretton found this amazing thread. It’s wonderful how the internet can fill in the details of our family in a way that was not possible even 20 years ago. And how nice to learn of distant relatives.
    My grandfather was Burrows Frank Royal Dyson who died as a result of the explosion at J J Nivens in 1927. That much, our family knew. I have photos of his grave in the Sydenham Cemetery which is also the resting place of my “uncle” Burrows Frank junior. We have recently had a new plaque installed as the original inscription is barely readable. My Grandmother, Edith Alice is buried separately, but not far away.
    My cousin, Grant Dyson, has a copy of his birth certificate which states he was born in Weymouth, the son of William Frank and Annie Elizabeth, nee Tanner which confirms what is said in the thread.
    We also have the marriage certificate between Burrows Frank Royal DYSON and Edith Alice WILLIAMS from 23 January 1917, at St Matthew's Church, Auckland, in which William Frank Dyson's occupation is listed as "Settler". Presumably he was a settler at Okahukura which is still a small settlement off State Highway 4, just north of Taumaranui.
    It seems clear that it was our grandfather, Burrows Frank Dyson that is listed in the 1919 electoral roll from Avon Canterbury and it may be the same one listed in Auckland in 1914, as Edith came from Auckland according to the marriage certificate.
    Apart from grandfather dying in the explosion, we knew little of what happened subsequently. We knew my grandmother, my mother; Margaret Mary Thornhill Dyson, and her brother, my Uncle "Bert" (Richard Herbert Dyson) were left living in a heavily mortgaged house at 156 Hackthorne Road in the expensive hillside Cashmere suburb of Christchurch after the tragedy.
    I had read the accounts of the tragedy in the Christchurch Press, but there was no mention of the visit by grandmother, mother and Bert immediately after the accident. How awful must that have been… And how odd that it should feature in the Melbourne Argus and not in the Christchurch Press.
    In recent years we have looked into what happened to Edith Alice, and it is a very very sad story, one that my mother would never talk about. I did not know that my grandmother was still alive when I was young, though I do recall a mysterious family trip from Lumsden to Christchurch when, aged about 4, I was parked with distant relatives outside of Christchurch while mother and father went to some event. It's hard to be sure, but was that the funeral of Edith? The dates line up.
    Edith was committed to Sunnyside Mental hospital in 1934 under section 8 and was later transferred to another mental hospital in Hokitika on the very remote (it was very remote at that time) West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand. She died in 1950, as far as we know, having never seen her children again. From her medical records it is clear that in the latter years she was kept locked up because she would not stop fretting about her children. There seems to be little else that was wrong with her.
    I’ll ask cousin Grant to confirm details of his father, including which one he might be of the soldiers in the photo. He was in Italy in 1944 after serving in Greece, Crete, Egypt and Libya. As I recall, Uncle Bert rose to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel before he retired.
    Someday soon I’ll go up to Okahukura and Taumaranui and see what can be found in local records about William.
    Contact info, should anyone wish further information (such as we have): wilsonhamishAThotmailDOTcom.
    Best regards to all, Hamish
    Last edited by christanel; 21-02-2017 at 12:24 AM. Reason: email addtess disguised to deter spam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

There were two Richard Herbert Dysons. My father says in a letter he was named after the first one who died in Alexandria. My father got appendicitis in Egypt in WW2. The first Richard Herbert Dyson died of appendicitis but my father did not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12