stevenwright02

Default Help deciphering maiden name on Certificate

Good morning,

My Great Great Great Grandfather (James Bragg) was a widower following the death of his [first] wife Selina Bendy on 13 June 1875.

A few years later, he remarried Jane Johnson (nee ???) on 15 November 1879 in Westminster.

A copy of the certificate of the marriage between Jane and James is included in Ancestry's Marriage and Bann's 1754-1921 collection. However, I am having difficulties deciphering the surname of Jane's father to determine her maiden name which will subsequently allow me to find a record of her first marriage.

Any help / suggestions will be most welcomed
    Many thanks
    Steven

Looks like Thomas Moulden to me
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

pennydog

I would say "Thomas Moulden".

judyg

There is a marriage of a Jane Moulden:

July Quarter 1855
    Reg District: St George Hanover Square
    Volume 1A Page 382

On the same page is an Adam Johnson

sueannbowen

Ancestry has also transcribed (indexed) father's name as Thomas Moulden (deceased) a coachman. Picking up on Judy's potential marriage for Jane, Unfortunately that year's register is not showing up on Ancestry so I cannot see if that is the right marriage. However, in the 1881 and 1891 census your Jane Bragg's birth is given as 1830 Marylebone. There is a very handy birth for a Jane Moulder, daughter of Thomas and Jane Moulder 28/10/1829 at St Marylebone Christchurch Westminster; Thomas' occupation is given as Servant not a million miles away from Coachman. So that might be them.

Lovely! FMP has an Adam Johnson married to a Jane in the 1861 census. Jane was born in 1830 in Marylebone. reference is
    RG09 72;138;18
    Last edited by sueannbowen; 29-06-2012 at 8:32 AM. Reason: Extra info

stevenwright02

Thank you to everyone for your posts, as always they have been most helpful, and I am in agreement with them all - in that Jane Moulden did indeed marry Adam Johnson (who died) and then a few years later married my Great Great Great Grandfather, James Bragg.

This is further corroborated by James Bragg's death certificate that gives the informant as his step daughter E. Johnson.
    Both the 1861 and 1871 censuses list Jane Johnson as having a daughter called Eva/Eve.