Chardie58

Red face BEDFORDS - LONDON

Hello - I'm from Lancashire and am currently researching the family history for my partner, who knew very little, well nothing really about his father's side of the family - not even his grandparents names - apart from the fact that they were called BEDFORD!! His father also died when he was 16 so he did not have chance to ask his father about them as he got older. I thought it would be lovely if I could present him with a family tree getting as far back as I can. I have got back several generations, and am I have found the name of his 3rd great grandfather in Census records, and the names of his parents - and although I can find baptism records for his siblings, I can't find his. So I was hoping that there maybe someone on this forum who could help. Many thanks

Jan1954

Hello Chardie - welcome back to the fold!

I see that you started with some questions last year, so keep finding your way about, post those queries of yours and we will all try to help.

Good luck!

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

My childrens paternal line are Bedfords of London origins, going back to the very early 1750's.

William Bedford c1753. Holborn, London.

Just maybe........????

Give me a name and date, and I'll see if we tie up at all.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by stepives View Post
    My childrens paternal line are Bedfords of London origins, going back to the very early 1750's.

William Bedford c1753. Holborn, London.

Just maybe........????

Give me a name and date, and I'll see if we tie up at all.

Steve.

Ooops. That should their Maternal line.

Steve.

Chardie58

Hi Steve - Benjamin Bedford was born in 1st quarter 1879 - his parents were Pemberton Bedford 1762 – 1847 and Elizabeth Bedford (Pitcher born 1766). He had 8 siblings and I can find most of their baptism records, but nothing for Benjamin. He did have a brother William, but he was born in 1790 - baptised on 1 August 1790 at St Giles, Cripplegate. If you could find anything on Benjamin - I would be most grateful - thank you

Hi Chardie.
    I don't think we have a connection that I've found.

But there is a marriage for William Bedford ((b1790) Occ. Carpenter)), and married 29 July 1860 to Elizabeth Feeling(aged 55). @ St.Leonard, Shoreditch, London

Father is Pemberton Bedford(deceased - Occ. Carver). Brides father is Isaac Bennet(deceased - Occ. Foreman to ? ? ? ).

Both widowed at time of marriage.

According to the 1861 census, he was born @ St.Lukes, Middlesex. He is a Carver, and they're living in Islington, with his apparent son, Samuel Bedford b.1815. Hoxton, Middx.(Occ. Carver).

In the 1841 census, he is with his son Samuel, and an apparent wife Mary, b.1791. Middx. There is also a Rosina Bedford c1827. Middx. with them.

In the 1851 census. W. Bedford(b.Cripplegate), M. Bedford(wife)b.Clerkenwell)), L. Bedford(son)b.Shoreditch)) & R. Bedford(daughter)b.Islington)), are Living @ 6, Sheperton St. Islington.

Steve.

janbooth

Hi Chardie,

According to census records, Benjamin was actually born c1795 at St Giles Cripplegate, the same parish as brother William. If you have a subscription to Ancestry, the parish records of St Giles are available to browse through and you might be able to pick him up on those.

Janet

Chardie58

Hello Janet - I do subscribe to Ancestry - I have searched the parish records for the whole of 1795 and half of 1796 and not found him - I have found the baptism records for most of his siblings - but I can't find him. I can find him on census returns - but I would really like his baptism/birth record. His father was Pemberton Bedford and his mother was ELizabeth Bedford (Pitcher). If you have any other suggestions as to where I could search, I would be grateful. Regards Chardie

janbooth

He doesn't seem to come up at all on baptismal records online does he. It could be that father Pemberton was working in some other parish and he was baptised there but returned to St Giles Cripplegate when Benjamin was very small, in which case it is a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack at the moment. I'm afraid I don't know a lot about London parishes so am not much help there but can only suggest you look through adjacent parishes especially those that do not appear on Ancestry. Sorry not to be of more help.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Chardie58, - I registered with this website last night for the first time, so am not yet sure about how to use the contact possibilities. I tried writing a message to you just after registering, but apparently it was blocked because prior to approval of the "authorities that be", and it seems that the message has disappeared and is lost, so I'll have to start again. However, I prefer to ask if you are still interested in the Bedford family of London (descendants of Pemberton Bedford the carver and gilder born ca 1762, and of his wife Elizabeth Pitcher). I too am a descendant, and have been seeking more data on their son Benjamin Bedford who was one of their numerous children. I already have quite a lot of information, and some questions that need answering. Maybe you have found the answers since your posting of 2012 ? My mother's maiden name was Audrey Bedford (1909-1937). Her line was from Pemberton (ca1762-1847), via Benjamin 1795(?)-1879, Thomas-Benjamin 1850-1937, and Frederick-Charles 1874-1957.
    Incidentally, I recently learned that Pemberton has two sets of descendants in the USA. I have a lot of information on the families of two brothers who migrated in 1848, as well as on the families of five brothers who migrated at the turn of the century (ca 1900). The latter were my grandfather's five brothers, but my grandfather stayed in London where he had a shoe and leather business.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Kindly let me know if you receive this message. Ken-in-France