Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    suew203

Smile Family History Societies

If it's of any use I came across Carsington, Derbyshire FHS by accident, and it proved to be most helpful, web address is: www.
    dfhs.org.uk (no, its not the furniture shop!!)

Reputation beyond repute

GenUKI has a page of family history societies -

https://www.genuki.org.uk/Societies/

I recommend that anyone who is researching their family history should join the society closest to where their ancestors lived. The amount of local knowledge available to members of local societies should not be underestimated.
    Everything you want is not online nor is it likely to be in the foreseeable future. So allocate some of your budget to membership and see what a goldmine local family history societies can be.

~ Waves her FH society banner one more time, climbs down off her soapbox and wanders away~
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Yep.....best thing I ever done, joining my FH society. They have been so helpful. I've also been able to help them at times, with my local knowledge of my birth place.

Steve.

geoffpowers

Unfortunately there are family history societies and family history societies! My experiences - some years ago now - were rather mixed. One West Midlands society began by requesting me to engage in a bureacratic process that had to be experienced to be believed, filling in that form and this form and generally jumping through hoops - and wnen I declined to proceed refused to refund my membership subscription. Another FHS in the same geographical area persistently failed to acknowledge emails and handwritten correspondence, despite several follow-up messages. When I finally got an answer out of the society secretary she explained that they did not answer correspondence during university terms as she and the chair were busy with teaching OU courses. On the other hand, those splendid people at the Oxon FHS came up trumps with my very first enquiry. Needless to say I haven't bothered with the first two following my very unsatisfactory experience.

Reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately there are family history societies and family history societies!
    I agree with you there

those splendid people at the Oxon FHS
    But not there.

mfwebb

I, too, agree that there are Family History Societies and then there are Family History Societies. I can only speak as I find them.

I also agree that the Oxon FHS are splendid people. They solved me a brickwall some years ago -- some kind member transcribed the parish records for an entire family of mine from Wroxton.

All the best,

Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

BayHorse

I was finally able to join a number of FHS not so long ago (when funds allowed) and my research came on in leaps and bounds - however I had a different experience with each society, what they offered me for my subscription, the friendliness of their welcome and so on.

I only feel inclined to renew my subs with one of them.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Whilst we are on the subject I too have had mixed experiences with Family History Societies but with everything there is a risk and a lot of people give their time for free. I can sometimes understand the lack of responses may be one day when enough interest is generated these might improve.

My problem is the London relatives, has anyone any tips about Family History Societies here.
    Elma

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Elma View Post
    My problem is the London relatives, has anyone any tips about Family History Societies here.
    It really does depend upon where in London you are looking - especially as what we now know as London used to be in the surrounding counties. Would any of these help you?
    Hillingdon Family History Society
    North West Kent Family History Society

Then there is the Huguenot Society of Great Britain and Ireland, which started by just covering London... and then grew!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast