Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    robinadexter

Red face Thomas LUCAS and Louisa COOPER

I am desparately seeking a marriage between Thomas LUCAS, born Llangurig (1816 - 1825) and Louisa COOPER, born Isle of Wight 1839/41. They ended up in Islington by 1860s, but who knows where they met/married? Anyone?
    Robina

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

No offence meant ...... but I think it would have been better to post your message on the Genealogy Beginners forum, rather than all of the County Forums ....... I thought my eyes were playing tricks when I clicked on New Posts!
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Ken Boyce

Quote Originally Posted by robinadexter
    I am desparately seeking a marriage between Thomas LUCAS, born Llangurig (1816 - 1825) and Louisa COOPER, born Isle of Wight 1839/41. They ended up in Islington by 1860s, but who knows where they met/married? Anyone?
    Robina
    I for one would appreciate it if you would go into the edite mode and remove the majority of these multiple postings

robinadexter

Default Not kind

Ken, This was an unkind response. I am not messing about. I am seriously trying to check every county as I have tried everything else I can think of (see my long reply to Geoffers on the Norfolk forum. He had the courtesy to take me seriously). Normally, I would not stray outside the forums that I know to be relevant to my family and I know that many other seekers only check the forums for their 'own' counties. This means that most seekers will only see my request if it appears where they habitually look. With Thomas and Louisa, I do NOT know which counties to exclude. How will I find out that someone in e.g. Leicestershire has a record of their marriage if that someone does not know I am looking for it? I only know that this couple were allegedly born in Wales and Hampshire but were in Islington (Middlesex) after 1860 - possibly as early as 1858, but there is a question mark over the place of birth of the son born in 1858-ish. Could have been Carmarthen.
    I have researched conscientiously and as thoroughly as I can on my own in local offices and on the net. I spent last week in London at the LMA, FRC and Islington Library. This is my real brick wall and I was hoping for a little miracle, perhaps, but not for a sniper! I have done searches for other seekers when I have visited record offices and offered information whenever I felt I could help, whether through these forums or other sites. I have never deliberately made a trivial request. Nor would I dream of criticising other seekers, however naive or daft I think they might be. You wound me.
    Robina
    Last edited by robinadexter; 24-07-2005 at 12:10 AM.

Ken Boyce

Sorry If I appeared heavy handed but I was taught that swamping of a forum or of mailing lists in this manner is a no-no and is a turn-off for many.

In my case I had taken an interest in your original pleasent request but discarded it in response to what I considered to be some form of a joke

robinadexter

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Grant-Salmon
    No offence meant ...... but I think it would have been better to post your message on the Genealogy Beginners forum, rather than all of the County Forums ....... I thought my eyes were playing tricks when I clicked on New Posts!
    But Diane (and Ken), I am not a beginner. I have searched every record/site/source I can find. And it is clear from the responses from other forums that most folk have simply read the ONE posting I put on 'their' forum. I cannot afford to go around the country visiting the local archives of every county in case my errant forebears paused there in their progress from Wales/IoW to Islington. One very short post on every forum seemed not unreasonable to me.
    Robina

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

As I said in my original message Robina ..... no offence meant. The multiple postings would just be a shock for anybody who clicked on New Posts, after a few days absence from the Forums.

I am not a beginner either, but I have asked for help on the Genealogy Beginners Forum, as have other experienced people ...... there's no shame in this!
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Mythology

Almost every other forum that I use has rules about multiple postings, and your threads would have locked or deleted by the admins. On some forums you get banned for doing that - straight away, no messing about.

Multiple posting is, in terms of forum etiquette, considered to be extremely bad manners. Apart from the point that Diane makes, you get the problem of multiple replies in threads which all have the same title so people find it difficult to keep track of what's where.

Furthermore, something that can be extremely irritating is when somebody using the "New Posts" lists, catching up from when they last visited so starting at the oldest of them, replies to your post then, going through the others in order, finds that someone else has already given exactly the same information in another of your threads, so they have wasted their time.

Robina, if I did not recognise your name and know you to be a helpful and genuine person from past messages, I would have completely ignored the whole lot. This is what most people would do, so multiple posting usually has the opposite effect of what you want - people who don't recognise you will most likely assume that you are some kind of nutter, pass you by, and you will get *less* replies.

If, in the future, you have reason to post in every county forum, I would suggest that you do two or three at a time, wait a few days, and if there's no response, *then* try another two or three, etc., etc., not the whole lot at once.

Ken Boyce

Quote Originally Posted by robinadexter
    Robina
    Not much to go on but using the advance search feature of the 1881 I located Thomas and Louisa Lucas and family in Islington The elder child aged 11 born in Islington suggests that they were in Islington in 1870 and possibly married there or elsewhere in 1868/9. Based on Louisa's age the earliest they typically would have married is c1859 (assuming she was c18/19). I was unable to locate the couple, single or together, in the complete index for London for the 1861 Census either under Lucas or Cooper. I do not have access to the 1871 London index or indexes of any census for Hants (IoW) or Glamorgan except for the 1881. Checking into Thomas's Billiards connection there is nothing in the 1856 London Directory. The only readily available post 1856 London Directory on CD or online is for the 1882 on CD of which I don't have a copy.

It would seem to me that Louisa, dependent on her family circumstances may have travelled to London c1855-60 to work as a young domestic or similar and that Thomas may have travelled directly or indirectly to the big city aged c18-20 (c1840) to make his fortune with a Cue Stick

Pure speculation on my part but based on what facts were made available concentrating on London would seem more feasible than most of the counties that were posted with absolutely no supporting evidence of a connection

Regards
    Last edited by Ken Boyce; 25-07-2005 at 6:53 PM.

robinadexter

I hope you're not going to be cross with me all over again Ken, for giving minimal info. I did so because I was trying to keep the original message short: I merely hoped that someone might have a record of the marriage. I have them together in Islington from 1861 census and onwards although the birth references for the oldest son are not consistent: Clerkenwell, Carmarthen, or ? I spent last week in London (thereby causing my husband great anxiety) at the LMA, FRC and Islington Local history centre trying so hard to track down the marriage and/or son Thomas's baptism. No success (though I did find a 13th child - I already had 12 out of the family tradition of 18). That is when/why I became 'desparate' ..... but I am beginning to think that this branch is dead on the tree, so to speak. I think you may be right about Louisa, but I cannot find even a suspicion of her in 1851 or 1841 censuses, even with much help from friends. Without a marriage I'll not get back to her/his parents. Ah well, back to the 5,6...and 9x ggps on other branches.Thanks for your ideas.
    Robina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast