Mrmaccy

Default Edward Bell - Died in Ostend, Belgium 1837

Can anyone throw some light on an Edward Bell who died in Ostend, Belgium in 1837.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Is it your tree on Ancestry? Edward Bell b. 1799 England Parents James & Ann? Marriage 1820 London.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmaccy View Post
    Can anyone throw some light on an Edward Bell who died in Ostend, Belgium in 1837.
    What information do you have already, please?

Coromandel

Hello again Mrmaccy. I take it this is the Edward Bell mentioned by namussi in post #64 of your earlier thread?

In the free search results on the British Newspaper Archive you can see enough of a death notice for Edward, from the 'Westmorland Gazette' of 2 September 1837, to find out Edward's father's name, partly garbled occupation (something and draper) and residence. It looks like it gives Edward's age too, but this is too garbled to guess what it might say in the original. If you haven't already registered with the site, then the free 15 credits you get when first registering should be enough to let you see a scan of the article. (Please note, though, that it would be a breach of the site's terms & conditions to tell us what the original says!)

If Edward's father is the one for whom there's a monumental inscription here, under the heading Kirkby Lonsdale, then he should (just) have survived long enough to appear on the 1851 census:

https://www.
    northofthesands.org.uk/westmoreland/surname/72/bell

Switching to the 19th Century British Library Newspaper collection (available free through many library services) I see that the 'Lancaster Gazette' of 26 July 1851 has this death notice:

'Kirkby Lonsdale - On the 23rd inst., Mr. James Bell, maltster, aged 74 years, much and deservedly respected.'

If you google for "Edward Bell" "Ostend" you will find some posts by namussi on other sites, e.g. mentioning a will for Edward Bell. As he also says there's a Chiswick connection, I would guess this is the PCC will of Edward Bell of Chiswick.

Edit: I have only just noticed that you've posted this in the Europe forum. Does that mean that you're trying to find out specifically about what he was doing in Ostend?

Mrmaccy

Hello again Coromandel,
    Yes, you're correct, this is the Edward Bell of post #64. I keep on forgetting to look at the Newspaper Archives, i'll have a look in a bit. It was just a hunch that as he died in Belgium it might throw up some more info that was not available in this country. What was he doing in Belgium, is he buried in Ostend and so on, does it get mentioned in newspaper reports!!!
    Once again, thanks for the above info, i don't know how you find out stuff so quickly!!!
    Andrew

Mrmaccy

Yes, i'm on Ancestry, but not sure if anyone can see my tree. I thought that i'd made it public but Namussi said that he couldn't see it!! And yes that's the Edward Bell born 1799, died in Ostend in 1837. Parents James and Ann and thats all i knew. Coromandel has come up with some moe info see post #4.

Mrmaccy

See post #4 and #6.
    thank you

Mrmaccy

I found James Bell on the 1851 census, but unfortunately he was living alone apart from his servant. On the 1841 census his wife Ann is still alive and it says that she's 4 years older than him!
    Looking on Family Search i've now found the wedding of James Bell and Ann Parkinson in Kirby Lonsdale on the 14th Jan 1799.