Thread: Burgh St James

lizone

Default Burgh St James

Hoping that someone can find the following location, as I'm stuck!

According to the England Marriages 1538 - 1973 database on FamilySearch, the marriage of John Walters and Jane Webb was at Burgh, St James, Suffolk on 22 July 1753, but the church at Burgh is St Botolph. Is there another Burgh somewhere that I am missing?

Thanks

A puzzled Liz

Jan1954

Hi Liz,

It wouldn't be Bury, would it - as in Bury St Edmunds? St James' Church is now the Anglican Cathedral there.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hi Liz,

It wouldn't be Bury, would it - as in Bury St Edmunds? St James' Church is now the Anglican Cathedral there.
    I wondered that too, Jan. Googling for the names John Walters and Jane Webb found this:

'John Walters & Jane Webb both single of Chippenham in Cambridgeshire L.'
    in a transcript of marriages at Bury St Edmunds, listed under the year 1753. *

https://www.
    ebooksread.com/authors-eng/england-st-james-parish-bury-saint-edmunds/bury-st-edmunds-ajt/page-19-bury-st-edmunds-ajt.shtml

The 'L' perhaps stands for 'licence'. This would tie in with there being another reference to the marriage on FamilySearch, this time from film no. 1595590, marriage licence bonds for the Norwich Diocese.

*in the e-text the days and months seem to have ended up in a separate part of the text. If you can download a scanned image of the text you may be able to make more sense of it.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    'John Walters & Jane Webb both single of Chippenham in Cambridgeshire L.'
    in a transcript of marriages at Bury St Edmunds, listed under the year 1753.
    About 12 miles apart.

lizone

Absolutely brilliant! That's entirely the right couple I was working back from (ie John and Jane Waters (sp) in Chippenham, Cambs with two sons, Thomas and John) - but I couldn't see why they would be all the way over in Burgh, Suffolk as the families seem to spend their time on the Suffolk/Cambs border.

Thanks a bundle Coromandel and Jan!

Liz

Starting to feel at home

Just seen your post. There is a place called burgh in suffolk, near Hasketon and not far from woodbridge. There is a big church right on a bad bend. Have you tried looking on Google earth.