Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Mrmaccy

Try again, I've changed the settings to "share"!
    Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    It looks as if you can only read them if you have a Google account. All I'm seeing is a sign-in page.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    I believe that's the gist of it so hopefully someone else may fill in the blank bits.
    Great work, Graham! I have made a few small adjustments and filled in the blanks. Here's the first part (additions/alterations in bold):

I, Edward Bigg of Southampton buildings in the County of Middlesex Gentleman do make my last will and testament as follows. I give and bequeath to each of my sisters the sum of fifty pounds. I give devise and bequeath unto my son Edward Smith Bigg my daughter Sarah Anne Bigg my daughter Emma Frances Bigg my executor and executrices hereinafter [b]named[b] their heirs and assigns my freehold messuage or tenements and hereditaments with the appurt[enance]s in Fenchurch street in the City of London in the possession of Christopher Wilson and also all my two freehold messuages or tenements [b]heredit[ament]s and premises with the head(?) way to the Vault in Fenchurch[b] buildings London with the appurtenances thereto belonging to hold the same to my said executors and executrix their heirs and assigns in trust to sell and dispose of the same heredit[ament]s and premises in Fenchurch street and Fenchurch buildings resp[ective]ly and convert the same into money and the money arising by such sale to be considered as part of my personal estate
    I give and bequeath unto my son Edward Smith Bigg all my law books.........

Coromandel

Here's the second part of Graham's transcript, with my amendments in bold:

I give and bequeath unto my daughter Ann Lucy Hallon ....the sum of one thousand pounds having already given her a portion on her marriage.

Missing out the gives and bequeaths etc

....to my daughter Ellen Elizabeth Bigg two thousand five hundred pounds.........my daughter Lucy Maria Bigg the like sum of two thousand five hundred pounds......... to my son [marginal text to be inserted here: 'Smith Henry Bigg the like sum of two thousand five hundred pounds I give and bequeath unto my Son'] William Robert Bigg the like sum of two thousand five hundred pounds the legacies to carry interest from the day of my decease . . . to my son Edward Smith Bigg my daughter Sarah Anne Bigg and my daughter Emma Frances Bigg all the rest residue and remainder of my estate whatsoever and wheresover freehold copyhold and personal to hold to them as tenants in common their several and respective heirs ex[ecut]ors adm[inistrat]ors and assigns for ever. I appoint my said son Edward Smith Bigg and my two eldest daughters Sarah Anne Bigg and Emma Frances Bigg Executor and executrixes...

Dated the sixth day of January one thousand eight hundred and twenty

Witnessed by Edmd. Tate John Stevens William Eras.(?) Hardy clerks to Mr Bigg the testator

Proved at London the 8th November 1823 . . . by the oaths of Edward Smith Bigg the son and Sarah Ann Bigg spinster the daughter two of the executors to whom admon was granted....

Coromandel

I've made a start on Francis Bigg's will. At first I was rather worried that he didn't mention his daughter Maria Woodley Bigg, but she does turn up later in the will so this is definitely the right family. (Phew! That's a relief)

Page 1:

This is the last Will and Testament of me Francis
    Bigg
    of the New Kent Road in the County of Surry Esqr I give devise
    and bequeath unto John Copland the younger of Chelmsford in the ~~
    County of Essex Gentleman and James Law(?) Jones of Fenchurch Street in
    the City of London Gentleman all that my freehold estate and premises ~~
    situate and being No. 29 in the Old Jewry in the City of London in the
    possession of Richard Lea ~~ Esqr or his undertenants also all that my
    freehold estate and premises situate in Friar Street Reading in the County
    of Berks in the possession of John Harris(?) or his undertenants also all that
    my leasehold estate and premises situate in Coleman Street Woolwich in the
    County of Kent Also all that my leasehold messuage or tenement ground and
    premises situate in Rodney Buildings New Kent Road aforesaid and all
    my shares and interest of in and to the several Steam boats or vessels named
    respectively the "Eclipse" "Venus" "Albion" "Dart" "Magnet" "Hero" "William the
    Fourth" "Fly"(?) "Swiftsure" "London" "Diana" and "Hawk" and the share or ~
    interest which I may possess at the time of my decease of in or to any other ~
    steam boat or vessel which shall be then employed as a passage boat or ~
    vessel from London to Margate Gravesend or Richmond or elsewhere ~~
    to hold the same unto the said John Copland and James Law Jones their
    heirs executors adm[inistrat]ors and assigns according to the nature and quality of ~
    the same respectively upon the trusts and to and for the ends ??? and ~~
    purposes hereinafter named That is to say upon trust to pay and divide the ~~
    yearly rents issues and profits of my said freehold and leasehold estates and
    premises and shares in the said Steam boats or vessels unto and among(st?) ~
    my daughters Mary Sweet Elizabeth Frances Martha Ann and Fanny Falcon
    in equal shares and proportions for and during their respective(?) ??? ~~
    natural lives and upon the deaths of any or either of my said daughters ~~

Coromandel

Page 2 with some very wordy bits omitted as indicated by text in square brackets

without lawful issue to part and divide the share or shares of such ~~ ~~~~~ daughter
    or daughters so dying unto and amongsty the survivors or survivor of them in ~~
    equal shares and I do direct that as well the original as accruing shares ~~ ~~
    my said daughters shall be paid to them respectively free from ??? without being ~~
    subject to the debts control or engagements of any husband which either of my said
    daughters now have or hereafter mnay have and in the case any or either of my said
    daughters shall leave a child or children lawfully begotten her or them surviving ~
    it is my will and I do direct that my said trustees do and shall pay and apply ~
    the share or respective shares of such daughter of daughters unto and amongst all
    and every the child or children of such daughter or daughters respectively for
    or towards their respective maintenance and education in equal shares and ~
    proportions with benefit of survivorship amongs them as to the shares of any
    of such children who shall not live to attain the age of twenty one years and ~
    upon the death of the survivor of my said daughters I direct that my said ~~
    trustees shall make sale(?) and absolutely dispose of all and singular my said ~
    free hold and lease hold estates and my said shares in the said Steam boats or ~
    vessels and all and every security or securities in or upon which the proceeds
    of any sale of any part thereof [three lines omitted here] and to pay [the proceeds]
    unto and amongst all and every the child and children lawfully begotten of my said daughters
    [as each reaches the age of 21] and the ??? shares of any such child or children who shall
    not have attained that age shall be vested in some one of the public funds(?)
    or Government securities and the interest and dividends thereof from time to
    time be paid and applied for and towards the maintenance and eduction or
    advancement in life of such child or children respectively until he she or ~
    they shall attain the age of twenty one years and in case there shall be no ~
    such child living at the time of the decease of the survivor of my said ~~
    daughters or being such he she or they shall die without attaining the age of
    twenty one years then and in that case I do hereby give devise and ~~ ~~
    bequeath all and singular my said freehold and leasehold estates and my
    said shares in the said Steam boats or vessels and the monies to arise ??
    any sale or sales thereof or of any part thereof and the securities upon or ~
    in which the same shall or may have been vested unto and amongst the
    children of my daughter Maria Woodley wife of Samuel Turner Wood who ~
    shall be living at the time of the decease of the survivor of them my said ~~
    daughters Mary Sweet Elizabeth Frances Martha Ann and Fanny Falcon
    ?? who shall live to attain the age of twenty one years share and share
    alike as tenants in common and not as joint tenants and I direct that the
    interest dividends or any other annual produce of the expectant(?) share or shares
    of any such child or children who shall not have attained that age shall be
    paid and applied to and for the maintenance and education of any such child or
    children and in case there shall be no such child or children of my said daughter
    Maria Woodley living at the time of the decease of the survivor of my said
    daughters [or there are but they die before reaching 21] . . .
    I give devise and bequeath all my said freehold and leasehold estates and ~
    premises and the shares in the said Steam boats unto my said daughter Maria
    Woodley wife of Samuel Turner Wood the interest and dividends ??? from ~
    one thousand pounds(?) four pounds per cent annuities which I do hereby
    direct shall be purchased by my executrixes hereinafter named by and out of the
    monies to be received by virtue of a policy of Insurance upon my life effected(?) in

There will now be an interlude while I get supper. If anyone else would like to do the end of the will
    in the meantime, please feel free

Coromandel

page 3
    the London Assurance Office for the sum of two thousand pounds for and
    during her natural life and I do hereby direct that the same shall be paid
    to her for her sole and exclusive use and benefit and without being subject ~
    to the debts control or engagements of her said husband or any after taken ~
    husband and from and after her decease I hereby give and bequeath the ~
    said one thousand pounds four pounds per cent annuities unto and amongst all
    and every the child and children of my said daughter by her said husband ~
    who shall be living at her decease and who shall live to attain the age
    of twenty one years share and share alike and I direct that the interest ~
    and dividends of the expectant share of any such child or children shall be
    ?? and applied for and towards his her or their maintenance and ~~ ~~~
    education until he she or they shall respectively attain that age and as to
    all the rest residue and remainder of my estate and
    effects of what nature or kind soever and wheresoever situate I give devise
    and bequeath the same and every part thereof unto and amongst my said
    daughters Elizabeth Frances Martha Ann and Fanny Falcon share and ~
    share alike as tenants in common and not as joint tenants the share or ~
    respective shares of such of my said daughters as shall be married at the
    time of my decease to be paid to her and them respectively for her or their
    sole and exclusive use and benefit or settled and secured as she or they may
    respectively notwithstanding coverture direct or appopint so as to be in no ~
    wise subject to the debts control or engagements of her or their respective ~
    husband and I hereby nominate constitute and appoint my said daughters
    Elizabeth Frances and Martha Ann Executrixes of this my will and I do
    hereby declare that the receipt and receipts of my said daughters respectively ~
    notwithstanding coverture shall be a good and sufficient discharge and ~~
    good and sufficient discharges unto my said trustees and executrixes respect-
    ively and I also declare it to be my will and desire that the share or shares
    and interest which I may possess at the time of my decease in the said ~
    several Steam boats or vessels or any other Steam boats or vessels as afores[ai]d
    shall and may be contained in such boats or vessels by my said trustees
    but nevertheless I do hereby authorize and empower my said trustees if they
    shall think fit to make sale and absolutely dispose thereof or of any of ~~
    them either by public sale or private contract and either together or in lots as
    they shall deem adviseable and also to let upon lease or leases for a term
    or terms ~~~ which shall not exceed twenty one years such parts of my ~
    said freehold and leasehold estates hereinbefore devised and bequeathed
    in trust as aforesaid as shall be in their immediate power and under ~
    their immediate control so as that no fine(?) or premium be taken ~
    upon or for any such lease and that the utmost annual rent that can
    reasonably be obtained ?? ??? in respect of the premises to be thereby
    demised(?) and I further direct that ['it' inserted] is my express will and desire that no ~
    ?? or mortgage shall made by the said John Copland and James Law
    Jones as such trustees as aforesaid or their heirs of any part of my said ~
    freehold estate hereinbefore devised to them for the purposes aforesaid until
    after the decease of the last survivor of my said daughters Mary Sweet ~~
    Elizabeth ~~ ~~ Frances Martha Ann and Fanny Falcon and I do hereby
    declare that the receipt and receipts of my said trustees and executrixes ~~ ~
    respectively shall be a good and sufficient discharge and good and sufficient
    discharges to any person or persons for so much money as shall be therein
    expressed or acknowledged to be received and the person or persons paying ~
    the same shall not afterwards be obliged to see to the application of such
    money or accountable for any loss misapplication or nonapplication ~~
    thereof or of any part thereof provided always and it is my will and ~~
    meaning that my said trustees the said John Copland and James Law ~~
    Jones their heirs executors or adm[inistrat]ors and also my said executrixes their

page 4
    executors and adm[inistrat]ors shall be charged and chargeable only for such monies as
    he or she or they shall respectively actually receive by virtue of the trusts hereby ~~
    in them reposed . . .

[next 20 lines or so omitted: this is about the trustees' liabilities and expenses]

........................ And lastly I do hereby publish and declare
    this present writing to be and contain my last will and testament hereby ~~ ~
    revoking all other wills by me at any time heretofore made In witness
    whereof I have hereunto set my hand at the bottom of the first six sheets and
    to the seventh and last sheet of this my will I have set and subscribed my
    hand and seal this twenty fifth day of Ocober in the year of our Lord one ~
    thousand eight hundred and thirty F. Biggs L.S. Signed sealed published ~
    and declared by the said testator Francis Bigg as and for his last will and ~
    testament in the presence of us who at his request in his presence and in the
    presence of each other have thereto set and subscribed our names as witnesses
    thereto Wm Stafford [or Strafford?], Sol[icito]r Buckingham St. Strand --- John
    Alfred Robson --- Edwd. Miller } Clerks to Wm Stafford ---

Proved at London 2nd May 1836 before the Wors[hip]ful Jesse Addams(?) ~
    Dr of Laws and Surrogate by the Oath of ['Elizabeth' inserted] Frances Bigg Spinster and Martha
    Ann Bigg Spinster the dau[ghte]rs the ex[ecu]trixes to whom adm[inistrati]on was granted ~
    having been first sworn duly to adm[iniste]r.

Mutley

That was a marathon, I don't know how you manage it. Well done.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    That was a marathon, I don't know how you manage it. Well done.
    Thank you. It is just practice really: so many PCC wills are written in that same horrible handwriting. If you look at enough of them you get used to the style of the writing and to the stock phrases that are so often used in wills.

They seem to have developed a particularly dull style of writing as the documents got more and more long-winded. What a boring job it must have been for the clerks who had to spend all day every day copying out the wills by hand!

Mrmaccy

Default Wow!

Thank you so much, that is absolutely amazing. I tried, but couldn't get past the first sentence!!
    I will have to read through it properly now.
    Did you see this that i posted yesterday? What do you think?

Right, looks like you're on the right track with the "Sweet" as i found a Mary Sweet Bigg born in St Lawrence, Reading 1791 to a Francis and Sarah Bigg!! Looks like she was their first child!
    As for the birth of Francis, there is a Francis Biggs born in Cirencester in 1769, father Edward!!

Thanks,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Thank you. It is just practice really: so many PCC wills are written in that same horrible handwriting. If you look at enough of them you get used to the style of the writing and to the stock phrases that are so often used in wills.

They seem to have developed a particularly dull style of writing as the documents got more and more long-winded. What a boring job it must have been for the clerks who had to spend all day every day copying out the wills by hand!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast