Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    l.garey

Default Garey/Gary/Geary families Hampshire, London

I have traced my line back to Richard Gary (1752-1801) who married Hannah Elliot in 1776 in Stockbridge, Hampshire. They had 8 sons, the first of whom, Edward Garey (1777-1851) (note change in spelling, which is common is our family), moved to the East End of London and married Mary Ann Warner. They were my ggg grandparents. There were many Garey families in London at the time, and I am trying to link my line with some of the others (who may have used the Gary form, or even Geary). I have been able to contact two remote "cousins" so far. In particular I am looking at the family of George Garey who married Susanna Annesley in Cripplegate in 1791.
    So, has anyone here details of these families from the 18th century onward? Richard's parents are given as Edward Gary and Elizabeth of Stockbridge. Does anyone have anything on them?
    I have a number of links within the Hampshire and London branches for anyone who might be interested.
    Thanks
    Laurence

CalGarey

I too have traced back to Edward and Mary Ann. My line goes through their son Richard, then Frederick Sr, Frederick Jr, FrederickT.J. and finally my Dad Peter. I actually think you have contacted my dad here in California. Thanks for the name change idea. That is probably why I have hit a wall.

Phil

CalGarey

Ancestry.co.uk lists a Richard Geary not Gary who married Hannah Elliot with a son Edward. married 30 Sept, 1776 Cannot find anything further back. There was a couple of Gareys on my downline who had 7 or 8 children. So this Garey line goes in any number of directions. and what about Sir William Geary? Possible nobility in our family?

nataliew

yes, I've found most of what you mentioned on IGI.
    My only other find is that Edward and Elizabeth also had a son called John baptised in 1749 in Stockbridge. So that could suggest a 1740s marriage (although always keep an open mind!)
    Good luck!

CalGarey

Dont Know of Edward and Elizabeth, Just Edward and Mary Ann. I did find a record of a Richard Geary baptised in june of 1759 as the son of Richard and Eliza. Records back then can get sketchy so I dont know if I have the right Richard. With the spelling change, I could be totally off base.

l.garey

Thanks nataliew for this information.
    CalGary: great to hear from you. Yes I have been in touch with your Dad, Peter. I was most impressed by his career as I am an aviation enthusiast and private pilot. We also spent a year at Berkeley in 1972-1973. I shall read your posts carefully and be back in touch soon. If you prefer email for anything, I am at [email protected]
    Laurence

Nicolina

Richard GARY was born, in Stockbridge, on 24th November 1752 to Edward & Elizabeth. There was also another couple of GARYs, Moses & Elizabeth, having children in Stockbridge at the same time. Moses & Edward were possibly brothers.

l.garey

Thanks Nicolina. I also found the birthdate of John (6 August 1749). There were a lot of Garys in Stockbridge and nearby villages at the time, but the only ones I have confirmed in my line are the children of Edward and Elizabeth (John, Richard and Esther). Richard and Hannah had 8 sons, one of which was Moses (born 1790). Moses was a frequent name in the Gary family, and it survived into later generations (eg Richard Moses Garey, born 1819, son of Edward and Mary Ann Warner). There were other Moses Gareys/Garys around that time in the Stockbridge area, but I cannot definitely trace their lines. If anyone can, I should be pleased the hear.
    Thanks again, Laurence

CalGarey

Nicolina, your location says you are in Hull? My Mum is from Hull. Not a Garey but she married one. I also find it curious that Hampshire has a lot of Gary information. My Grandfather, Frederick Thomas John Garey b.1905 in Hackney, found Hampshire to be the place to retire to. Specifically Ringwood on the other side of the New Forest from Stockbridge. Think now Ringwood is part of Dorset. I guess he kind of brought our line full circle. Its like I need three lines going, a Garey,a Gary, and a Geary then cross reference them all with each other. Anyone can email me at [email protected]

Nicolina

it's a small world, although I only live in Hull for half of the year. Like your mum I have to get away, even if it's only down to Suffolk or visits to the family.
    Spelling variations can be a pain in the neck at times. Only 2 days ago I realised that there was a strange co-incidence in my own family because of one. My parents moved "back home" in the 80's to a street named after one of mum's ancestors but I hadn't made the connection because of the spelling of the name.
    Laurence, the Moses I found was having children in the 1750s, so obviously an earlier one than the one you mention. He also appears to have had 2 sons called Moses, 1 in 1754 and another in 1758.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast