Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HUGHES/ ROBSON

With FreeBMD, you get the transcription of the index to a register page, normally 2 couples. Thus you normally get 2 male names and 2 female names, and it's up to the reader to work out which bride belongs with which groom (more recent ones give the related surname). On the record I found, John James either married Hannah or Martha. The other guy married the other one.

Sarah didn't marry John, Hannah did.

A fountain of knowledge

Dear Lesley

Thanks again - much appreciated. Don't know how you found that out! I didn't get that far on the site.
    Seems as though the Hannah who married John James is not my Hannah as she married Thomas Robson.
    Not helped by Robson seemingly was/is an incredibly popular name! Pretty sure I have got the right marriage for
    Hannah but still no luck with her sister Sarah - nor ref my posting 8 with the two earlier children. Jill

A fountain of knowledge

STILL LOOKING!

REF MY UPDATES 2 AND 6

Having spent a lot of time recently on another side of the family I would like to return to finding the two sisters of Benjamin Hughes - see previous - can anyone help me with this please? I originally stated that they married and lived in Wales but it's now thought married and moved further North ie to the North of England:

Hughes, Eleanor Elizabeth
    born 16 July 1822 daughter of Benjamin and Sarah, shopkeeper of Walham Green
    25 August 1822 - baptised at All Saints Fulham

Hughes, Sarah
    daughter of Benjamin and Sarah, shopkeeper of Walham Green
    19 April 1821 - baptised at All Saints Fulham

Also still outstanding is tracing the other Sarah ie Sarah Hughes born Newcastle 1850 Baptised 5.5.1850 In 1851 Newcastle on Tyne census she is 11 months (taken 30.3.1851?)

Hannah Hughes has now been found having married Thomas Robson and lived Chester le Street - burial can't be found since there are far too many Robson burials in local cemeteries!

Any help/input/advice greatly appreciated.

with thanks
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

CENSUS RETURNS

It has suddenly occurred to me, rather late in the day, that the family should be in census returns.
    I do not know how to look these up since I understand one has to be a member of various sites which I am not?
    Could someone help me please with this? I'd be very grateful.
    I believe the first UK census was 1801, 1811 and then 1821 when the family should be listed see Benjamin the son below 1819.
    The 1821 census was taken on 28.5.1821

With such a popular surname it's impossible to tell but there is a Sarah nee Harvey who married a Benjamin Hughes in 1814
    St Marylebone Middlesex whose husband died 1830.

Hughes, Benjamin
    son of Benjamin and Sarah, shopkeeper of North End, Fulham
    11 July 1819 - baptised at All Saints Fulham

Hughes, Eleanor Elizabeth
    born 16 July 1822
    25 August 1822 - baptised at All Saints Fulham

Hughes, Sarah
    19 April 1821 - baptised at All Saints Fulham

with thanks
    Jill

Hi Jill
    This site has an explanation about the censuses prior to 1841.Basically they are not much use as they didn't record the names of the inhabitants. So 1841 is the first useful one.

Have to leave this for now but will come back to it later.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks very much Christina.

Any input on the 1841 census etc from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

HANNAH HUGHES/ROBSON

I am having a blitz on old emails and was trying to see if I could progress the death of Hannah and burial - or rather giving it some thought - there are seemingly too many Robson families to be able to do this.
    Hannah born 1857 Lambeth marriedThomas Robson (1855-1898) Pelton, Durham in 1878. In the 1901 census she is a Widow and in the 1911 census aged 54 living at 34 Allen Street, Chester le Street.
    I was just using google and somehow stumbled across some photos of an Annie Robson and an Arthur* - Hannah and Thomas did indeed have a daughter Annie born 1887 Lamesley, Durham. Although not very good at this I tried FreeBMD and there is a marriage of an Annie M Robson to an Arthur Hutchinson* - can anyone kindly inform if I have got details of this marriage correct as I have previously made errors when using FreeBD with four entries on a page. It doesn't however lead me to death of Hannah ..
    Also I can't see details of the photos but the one I refer to was put by(x) - guess I can't put the name as probably alive. I'm not a member of Anc but a guest so can't access this particular photos plus a few others which may be this family.
    Thanks Jill

The only marriage I can see for an Annie M Robson with an Arthur Hutchinson on the same page is in March 1/4 1922 registration district Chester-le-Street and she married Walter R Hedley according to the entry on FreeBMD.
    Is this the one you found?
    There are only 3 public trees on ancestry for Hannah Robson born Durham and the only one which indicates it has photos is yours. The photos are actually the images for the censuses.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks Christina I didn't realise BGen have stopped sending emails with replies!
    What I did yesterday was to google "Hannah Hughes born 1857 married Thomas Robson" and the third entry down "Annie Robson" has photos inc one of Annie Robson (born 1887 Durham) with Arthur - so I thought using FreeBMD that I had found Annie marrying Arthur
    Hutchinson March 1922 - Anc.com.au inc one posted by "the Claytons" Thanks Jill

A fountain of knowledge

SARAH HUGHES BORN 1850 NEWCASTLE ON TYNE

I am still ploughing through old emails and my thoughts now turn to SARAH HUGHES BORN 1850 Newcastle on Tyne
    Previous posts here show the parents and details of the Newcastle census for 1851 and Lambeth in 1861. A friend sent me the following as a thought and I wonder if anyone thinks it's worth pursuing and how I would do that please?

"This is pure supposition on my part. But I did find this intriguing record:
    12th Nov 1869. Did Sarah Hughes give birth to a daughter Elizabeth Hughes in St George Workhouse?

1871 Census: Sarah Hughes, aged 21y, charwoman, widow, born Lambeth and daughter Elizabeth Hughes, 1y, born Lambeth are living at 10 Flint Street, Southwark (in the parish of St George the Martyr). Also at No 10 is the Dudley family"

I have the entry in the workhouse registry which doesn't give any more detail but don't have the 1871 census referred to. NB I note it states Sarah was born Lambeth instead of Newcastle but she might not have known she was born in Newcastle as in 1861 the family were in Lambeth. Jill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast