Aber1929

Post Re 14 Locks Rogerstone

Can anyone give me info regarding john Powell who was Lockkeeper at 14 Locks in Rogerstone ?
    He was there was daugther & son in Law in 1911.

Any info regarding his death?

Thanks in advance

Pat
    researching Powell ,Lewis & Rossiter

Pat, I don't know if you have all the information from the 1911 Census, in fact I am sure you do not because the address given on the 1911 census is Lock House Newbridge Mon. this is in Abercarn parish and is closer to the end of the Crumlin Arm of the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal. It is definitely not at 14 locks which is Rogerstone, and further down the valley towards Newport.

John Powell is listed as the Lock Keeper, age 63, a widower born Crickhowell Breconshire. With him in the house are
    Herbert Lewis, Son-in-law, age 28 a Mason at the tinplate works in Abercarn, born Abercarn.
    Mary Catherine Lewis, daughter, age 28, married 8 years, born Rogerstone, Mon.
    Reynard Turtius Lewis, son of Herbert, age 6 born Abercarn Mon.
    Irving Powell Lewis, son of Herbert, age 4, born Abercarn
    Winifred Margaret Lewis daughter of Herbert, age 8 months born Abercarn.

reference: RG14PN32042 RG78PN1843 Rd587 SD5 ED15

(Census Copyright of TNA)

I think that to find out any more you are going to have to purchase the birth certificate for Mary Catherine Powell to find her mother's name and then look for a marriage of John Powell to that person.

I hope this helps
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Brick wall demolition expert!

possibility this is Mary Catherine and family in 1891-66 Lock House..Father John Lockeeper. Wife Margaret nee Davies
    RG12; Piece: 4382; Folio: 92; Page: 11

1881 Rogerstone- RG11; Piece: 5269; Folio: 73; Page: 8

Margaret appears to have died by 1901. death that matches her age and locality..

Margaret Powell-Newport M-1899 aged 47

t1j2p

Powell the lock (born 1849 at Llantillio Pertholey) had two sons John ( my Grandfather born 1879) and William Henry (1880) who emigrated to America and married Celia and one daughter Mary Catherine (1883?)who seems to have left the family in a mysterious fashion. The family left Rogerstone when John Powell senior became lock keeper at Newbridge some five miles away. Powell the lock was a pillar in Zion chapel and as a welsh speaker was instrumental in the breakaway group who set up Zoar chapel ( now demolished) also in Newbridge. He died in 1936 and is buried at New Bethel in .

t1j2p

John Powell (Powell the Lock) died on 10th June 1936 and is buried at New Bethel Church, Pentwynmawr. His wife Margaret died on 9th Nov 1899 when they resided at Lock House, Newbridge.

Aber1929

Great help , Many thanks has given a lot of information to follow up.

Cheers Pat