Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    WhiteWolf

Post The Train got him!!

Evening Everybody

I have spent the Day Researching SWMBO's G Grandfather - Henry Arthur Moss - Born 1878 (Abt.), Died 2nd Quarter 1950 aged 73. He spent his whole life in Liverpool.

Now going through the information we have found out that he worked in the railway yards at Sandhills Station close to the docks. He worked safely through the Blitz only to be crushed between the buffers of a train when the brakes slipped.

He had been allowed to work well beyond retirement due to being a very fit man.

Like I said I've spent the day checking records and googling like crazy and I have been unable to find any mention of the accident anywhere.

Can anybody help, please?

Regards

Andy

Jan1954

Hi Andy,

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post
    Henry Arthur Moss - Born 1878 (Abt.), Died 2nd Quarter 1950 aged 73.
    Do you have the death certificate? If so, what does it say? Was there an inquest? If so, newspapers of the day may be able to help with an inquest report.

Now going through the information we have found out that he worked in the railway yards at Sandhills Station close to the docks. He worked safely through the Blitz only to be crushed between the buffers of a train when the brakes slipped.
    Is this from the death certificate? If not, what is your source document?

Henry Arthur Moss - Born 1878 (Abt.), Died 2nd Quarter 1950 aged 73.
    You need the birth certificate: Probably Henry Arthur MOSS, June quarter 1877, West Derby registration district (part of Liverpool), volume 8b, page 285

WhiteWolf

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hi Andy,

Do you have the death certificate? If so, what does it say? Was there an inquest? If so, newspapers of the day may be able to help with an inquest report.
    No Cert as of yet. Couldn't find details of an inquest, will do more research today.

Is this from the death certificate? If not, what is your source document?
    Not from the cert. Source document is an anecdotal account from SWMBO's mum, written a couple of years before she passed in 2002.

You need the birth certificate: Probably Henry Arthur MOSS, June quarter 1877, West Derby registration district (part of Liverpool), volume 8b, page 285
    This is the Gentleman, further research this morning gives his D.O.B. as 15 May 1877, christened 26 Jun 1877 at St. Peter's,​ Liverpool,​ (LDS website)

Regards

Andy

Jan1954

Hi Andy,

Then the death certificate is your first port of call. It will tell you how the poor chap died and when, so that you can pinpoint any possible inquest reports in local newspapers. You may also be interested in this TNA Research Guide about Coroners' Inquests.

WhiteWolf

Hi Jan

This was also the conclusion we came to as well.

But if any of our Scouse brothers and sisters out there had any info, especially if there is an online archive for the Liverpool Echo that works properly it would be most appreciated.

Regards

Andy & Nix (SWMBO)

Ken_R

Another possible avenue to pursue could be a post on,

http
    ://railways.national-preservation.com/general-railway-chat/

I've indicated in the link which section would be the best to post the query.

It amazes me, reading through the forum, the amount of 'source' material that is held in private hands, whether in the form of books, journals, technical documents, or just memories, that can be uncovered.

Right. Now just where did I leave that anorak?

WhiteWolf

Thanks Ken

The General railway chat area of the forum was private, so I've joined and asked for help.

Thanks again for the info, by the way I blamed you for pointing me in their direction

Regards

Andy

A fountain of knowledge

You could try the Railway Employment Records at Ancestry.There are a number of hits on Henry <no middle name given> Moss, but it requires a Premium sub (which I don't have) to look at them. Your library may have a sub. Not every employee or railway company is covered (my gf isn't), but if he is there, you will get one-line entries for career events.

WhiteWolf

Thanks for the info Chris.

I will see if the local library has a subscription and see what I can find.

Regards

Andy

Jan1954

Hi Andy,

When the death certificate arrives, please come back to this thread and let us know what it says. I, for one, am rather intrigued!

Meanwhile, the Railway Ancestors Family History Society could also be of assistance to you. I wonder if they would have records of the incident?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast