Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Brick wall demolition expert!

If you have a Findmypast subscription you will also find Henry and his wife in the 1939 Register, and although he is working on the railways he is not listed as a porter, but I can't tell what he was working as because that would breach FMP's rules.

WhiteWolf

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    04 October 1940 - Liverpool Daily Post -

'Accidental death' was the verdict of the Liverpool coroner (Mr. G. C. Mort) at the inquest yesterday on Henry Arthur Moss, aged 62, of 20 Pakington Street. Liverpool, a Cheshire Lines goods porter, who was crushed between the buffers of railway wagons while shunting was in progress at Huskisson Goods Station Sandhills on Tuesday

I think the Cheshire Line became LMR

https://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h...n/index1.shtml
    Cheers geneius

For copying that article out for us.

Regards

Andy

WhiteWolf

Cheers Megan

I'm about to sign up for the 14 day free trial to have a look about. Thank you for the heads up.

Regards

Andy

Name well known on Brit-Gen

On another site written by Guy Etchells who visits this site

A caller, caller-off, caller-out ; loads and unloads trucks in a goods
    depot; calls out particulars of incoming and outgoing consignments, from
    lables on goods, to good checkers q.v. in preparation for their removal
    from platform or wagon by goods porters q.v. cf caller (709)
    Cheers
    Guy

it is likely that your ancestor progressed form the job of a Porter, to that of a'caller off'. I find it hard to believe that a porter would be allowed to such a job!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf View Post
    Cheers Megan

I'm about to sign up for the 14 day free trial to have a look about. Thank you for the heads up.

Regards Andy
    Make sure you cancel your payment details if you do not intend using the site also make a list of all the records you want to view so you get the maximum benefit out of the 14 days.

FREE info

1851 & 1881 census are free to view on any subsc site, as is the BMD register

You can find some of these on familysearch.org : freebmd.org.uk : Lancashirebmd.org.uk: not forgetting Lancsopc.org.uk

WhiteWolf

Evening geneius

Thanks for the advice, we have decided to leave the 14 day free trial until we are on a weeks holiday and the hit the 1939 register hard. The list has already begun

We have an Ancestry Subscription so we will definately only be using the trial.

We have used the first 2 websites you mention, but will be exploring the other 2 once I get a day off.

Regards

Andy

Hi
    found this
    Liverpool Daily Post 4 October 1940
    "Accidental death" was the verdict of the Liverpool Coroner (Mr. G.C.Mort) at the inquest yesterday on Henry Arthur Moss aged 62, of Pilkington Street Liverpool a Cheshire lines porter, who was crushed between the buffers of railway wagons while shunting was in progress at Huskinsson Goods Station, Sandhills, on Tuesday

Peanut

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123