Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jeremy Burrows

Deaths on the railways are one of the four categories of cases where the coronor has to sit with a jury for the inquest.

It may be that the coronor's records therefore give you a way in; although I'm still a bit too green myself to know how you go about accessing them.

WhiteWolf

Ok the first thing I need to do is to apologise for my tardiness it not getting back to this thread.

Here we go,

We were mistaken in regards to when Henry died, we had from information obtained from family thought that he had died in 1950. He actually died on the 1st of October 1940, being crushed between the buffers of two trains whilst working as Railway Goods Porter. This information has come from his death certificate. According the certificate there was an inquest held on the 3rd October 1940, he was pronounced dead at Stanley Hospital.

If anybody can shed futher light on Henry's death, or where we could search/obtain more information would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards
    Andy

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Hi Andy

There are newspaper reports of the accident. They are online on a pay per view site - in fact more than one site. I haven't read all the thread carefully so I am not sure if you already have those.

Mrs P

Also the railway employment records are on Ancestry.
    Last edited by MrsPoppy; 02-02-2017 at 6:17 PM. Reason: adding information

WhiteWolf

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPoppy View Post
    Hi Andy

There are newspaper reports of the accident. They are online on a pay per view site - in fact more than one site. I haven't read all the thread carefully so I am not sure if you already have those.

Mrs P
    Evening Mrs P

Thanks for the lightning fast response, I've spent a few hours today trying to find newspaper repotrs with no sucess - my google fu must be low today
    Could you push me in the right direction please?

The Ancestry records were one of the first places I looked with zero results, boy I'm having a bad search day.

Regards
    Andy

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Hi Andy

Findmypast have newspapers online, you will see a snippet of the article(s) if you go on there. Join as a guest if you don't want to pay for a start. Go to the newspaper search and put his name in. The Liverpool Echo (October) has a report of the inquest and the accident.

I don't have an Ancestry sub at the moment so I cannot see the details in the Railway Employment Records but again if you look for that particular record set and put his name in. I wondered if it would say died in service or something.

Mrs P

The record on ancestry isn't a full employment record. Just the pay he received when he started working in the coaching department of the railway from 25 May 1903 to June 1907
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

WhiteWolf

Thanks again Mrs P

We have Found the Newspaper Article and I'll download and will print off once my brain decides to start working properly
    Still trying to wade through the files on Ancestry again. We will also see if we can get the full Coroners report, but not sure if this is possible.

Cheers again for your help.

Regards

Andy

WhiteWolf

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    The record on ancestry isn't a full employment record. Just the pay he received when he started working in the coaching department of the railway from 25 May 1903 to June 1907
    Christina
    Cheers Christina

Working through the Ancestry files as I type.

Regards

Andy

WhiteWolf

Hi Christina

The Record you mention for the porter who worked for the coaching department of the railway from 25 May 1903 to June 1907 has the wrong date of birth.

Our Henry Arthur was born 15th May 1877. So the search continues

Regards

Andy

Name well known on Brit-Gen

04 October 1940 - Liverpool Daily Post -

'Accidental death' was the verdict of the Liverpool coroner (Mr. G. C. Mort) at the inquest yesterday on Henry Arthur Moss, aged 62, of 20 Pakington Street. Liverpool, a Cheshire Lines goods porter, who was crushed between the buffers of railway wagons while shunting was in progress at Huskisson Goods Station Sandhills on Tuesday

I think the Cheshire Line became LMR

https://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h...n/index1.shtml

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast