Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default JUDAH JACOBS & JACQUES DANIEL MYERS

The following and subsequent posts are for my Jacobs ( Litzen) relatives and associated families and concern Judah Jacobs son of Henry Jacobs and Rebecca Isaacs. Following further research it is my belief that Judah Jacobs born in 1858 and Jacques Daniel Myers are one in the same person.
    Judah Jacobs parents were Henry Jacobs 1816-1888 a butcher and Rebecca Isaacs 1821/23-1863. Henry Jacobs was in the debtors prison 23 April 1861 and his wife Rebecca was to die approximately two years later.
    In the 1851 Census HO 107 1524 76 35 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) at 28 Houndsditch
    Daniel Myers H M 27 dealer in watches b Bermondsey; Sophia Myers wife 26 b Spitalfields
    On the same census page at 27 1/2 Duke St appear:
    Henry Jacobs HM 35 Butcher b Ratcliffe Highway; Rebecca Jacobs wife 27 b Holland;Sarah Jacobs dau 7 b Aldgate;Phillis Jacobs dau 5 b Aldgate;Jane Jacobs dau 4 b Aldgate;John Jacobs son 7mths b Aldgate; John Jacobs father to head of family 82 Retired butcherb Aldgate

By the 1861 Census Judah Jacobs is living with Daniel Myers -RG 9 152 52 30 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) -Kilburn Road West Stoke Newington
    Daniel Myers H M 37 Master watch maker employing ... boys b London City;Sophia Myers wife 26 b London City; Judah Jacobs nephew 2
    1871 Census RG 10 392 36 30 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) 44 Myddelton Square -Daniel Myers HM 42 ( poor quality image makes it difficult to decipher occupation) b Bermondsey Surrey;Sophia Myers wife 45; Judah Jacobs nephew 12 scholar
    By 1881 census RG 11 356 29 51 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) 44 Myddelton Square -Daniel Myers H M 57 Jeweller b Bermondsey Surrey;Sophia Myers wife 57; Jacques D Myers nephew 22 u diamond broker b Aldgate; Minnie Swaebe niece 10 b Marylebone

Searches on Free BMD and Ancestry Com show no birth of a Jacques Myers but his death in 1919 is recorded age 60. Similarly, there is no record of the death of a Judah Jacobs which matches the dob for 1858/59. I will supply the full record index for the two individuals plus further data. The coincidence of two individuals being born at the same time as each other and named as nephews of Daniel is very low and Judah disappears after 1871 and Jacques appears.
    Phillip

Nicolina

do you have the marriage of Daniel MYERS & Sophia ISAACS?
    Mar qtr London Vol. 2 Page 191

My thanks for the index record. I do have all the relevant records and there is significant data on the Jacobs and associated lines on the Jacobstree website. I will post all the relevant data on further posts but will be seeking responses to who the parents of Daniel Myers were although again I have suggestions which need confirming.
    Phillip

Default JUDAH JACOBS-JACQUES DANIEL MYERS

The following data relates to Judah Jacobs and Jacques Daniel Myers plus Daniel Myers.
    The BMD Index shows the GRO Birth Record for a Judah Jacobs Sept qtr 1858 E London 1c 3 and the Death Record for Jacques D Myers March qtr 1919 age 60 Paddington 1a 111. This gives a comparable dob to Judah Jacobs.There are records of a Jacques Myers Merchant and his marriage to Helen Esther Tobin in Liverpool in 1844 and the birth of a son Frederick Jacques Myers baptised in Liverpool 1849. However, family trees do not indicate a relationship to Daniel Myers. The GRO Marriage records show Marriage Dec qtr 1888 Marylebone 1a 1205 - Jacques Daniel Myers to Rose Florence Boss.
    The Probate record for Jacques Daniel Myers of 59 Palace Court Bayswater Middx and of 25 Hatton Garden London died 19 Feb 1919. Probate to Felix Julius Lion merchant-effects £3187 4s 6d. An earlier Probate grant had been made to Rose Florence Myers widow and Maurice Winkel diamond merchant and Hubert Angels Meredith stock jobber - Effects £67142 19s 3d.
    I will confirm further data on the Boss line in addition to the death of Daniel Myers and his probate.
    Phillip

Default DANIEL MYERS 1824-1911

The following data relates to Daniel Myers and his wife Sophia Isaacs:
    GRO Death Index Sophia Myers age 77 Dec qtr 1897 Holborn 1b 505; Death Daniel Myers age 87 Sept qtr 1911 Holborn 1b 737

1911 Census RG 14 1224 14 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) 44 Myddelton Square Clerkenwell
    Daniel Myers H 87 widower total children born alive -none retired jeweller b London Bermondsey; Emma Edwards niece single 52 b Stoke Newington; Phyllis Jacobs niece single 67 b Aldgate

The Probate effects for Daniel Myers show he died a very wealthy man and he left a significant number of bequests to relatives and charity:
    Daniel Myers died 27 Sept 1911 at 44 Myddleton Square Clerkenwell. Proved by Jacques Daniel Myers 32 Belsize Park and Michael Myers 11 Argyll St- Effects £79,207 12s 8d
    Bequests to- Sarah,Sophia, Rebecca Susman; David Woolf;Mr and Mrs Isreal Berg; Emma Edwards; Jacques Daniel Myers; John, Mark,Simon Salmon; John B Isaacs; Edward,Frank, Walter Edwards; George, John, Dolly, Esther,Annie, Minnie Rait; Solomon Jacobs; Amelia Cohen; Michael and Dudley Myers;Mrs Fanny Harris; Phyllis Jacobs

Phillip

Default JACQUES DANIEL MYERS AND FAMILY

In this current and later posts the following data is provided on Jacques Daniel Myers and his family.
    In the 1891 Census RG125 59 65 ( Crown Copyright, TNA) at Cumberland House Paddington:
    Albert Boss HM 53 Merchant-precious stones b London St Katherine Cree;Julia Boss wife 48 b St Katherine Cree;Herbert son s 23 Jewel Broker b St Pancras;Percy son s 21 Fancy Japanese Importer b St Pancras;Robert sons 19 Diamonds b Bloomsbury;Ester A daus 17 b St Pancras;Jacques Myers son in law M 32 Merchant-Precious stones b London City

1911 Census Reg District 79 Piece 5151 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) -Grand Hotel Kings Road Brighton
    Jacques D Myers H M 52 Pearl and Diamond Broker-Employer b City of London ( own account);Rose Florry wife 42 b Gower St WC;Charlotte V dau 20 s b Paddington;Rebecca dau 19 s b Paddington;Grace Edna dau s 15 b Paddington.
    There appear to be 6 Hill family named as visitors

Nb There is 1 family tree in the public domain which cites Judah Jacobs and Jacques Daniel Myers as one in the same. Importantly, this tree indicates a direct family link to the lines suggesting that Judah/Jacques was known to be the same person.

The Times Weds Nov 14 1888 records the marriage of Jacques D Myers: Synagogue Upper Berkley Street Jacques D Myers nephew of Mr and Mrs Daniel Myers of 44 Myddleton Square to Rose Florence eldest daughter of Albert I Boss of Cumberland House Clifton Gardens

I will provide data on the children of Jacques Myers/Judah Jacobs and Rose Boss in later posts.
    Phillip

Default JACQUES DANIEL MYERS AND FAMILY

The 1901 Census RG13 9 19 29 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) has Jacques Myers and family at 284 Elgin Ave Paddinton-Jacques Myers HM 42 Broker in Diamonds b London City;Rose wife 32 b WC;Sophia D dau 11 b W;Charlotte V dau 10 b W;Rebecca dau 8; Grace E dau 5
    The GRO Birth Index records for the children: Sophia Doris Myers Sept qtr 1889 Paddington 1a 28;Rebecca Ethel Myers June qtr 1893 Paddington 1a 30; Grace Edna R Myers Sept qtr 1895 Paddington 1a 56; Charlotte Myers Dec qtr 1896 Kensington 1a 118

I have traced all the marriages of the children barring Charlotte. Rebecca married Felix Julius Lion 1890-1968 son of George M Lion 1856-1954 and Rebecca Levi 1862-1924. George Lion's parents - Mayer Alexander Lion 1819-1895 and Fanny Solomons 1822-1882- see Synagogue Scribes GSMa 028/32 7 Feb 1844 for this marriage- there were 7 children from the marriage.

Sophia Doris Myers marriage- March qtr 1909 Hampstead 1a 1001 to Maurice Winkel. There were 2 children from the marriage-Elzina J Winkel Dec qtr 1913 Willesden 3a 620; Mary J Winkel Sept qtr 1918 Brighton 2b 333; Florence Joan winkel June qtr 1910 Hampstead 1a 577
    The National Archives show the divorce petition 1931-Appellant Maurice Winkel husband; Respondent Sophia Doris Winkel and John Wilkie Bell co-respondent. Sophia married John Wilkie Bell Oct qtr 1932 Croydon Surrey 2a 964 but he died March qtr 1934 age 63 Kensington 1a 173. His probate record-8 Pembroke Court Edwardes Square Kensington and of Criterion Buildings Piccadilly Circus Middx died 25 Feb 1934 at 8 Pembroke Court- probate to Sohia Doris Bell widow £4652 8s 2d. Grace married Pelham Anderson Dec qtr 1920 Kensington London 1a 587. The Times Weds Jan 14 1920 had their engagement announcement-Mr Pelham Anderson eldest son of Mr Charles Anderson of Bedford and Edna youngest daughter of the late Jacques D Myers and Mrs Myers of 19 Moscow Court W 2.
    Maurice Winkel re married and died July 17 1941; Rose Florencve Myers died 12 Jan 1943; Grace Anderson nee Myers died July qtr 1933 age 37 Maidenhead Berks 2c 409

Phillip

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Saw these old posts of yours about Jacques Daniel Myers/Judah Jacobs, Daniel Myers and Henry Jacobs.

Can't seem to locate information on Henry Jacobs being in a debtors prison in 1861 as suggested above by Phillip. Any suggestions?

Anyone got details from the birth and marriage certs of Jacques Daniel Myers/Judah Jacobs to confirm the father?

Anyone got specific information on the origins of Daniel Myers, and Henry Jacobs father: John Jacobs?

Hope you are able to help. Thanks Richard Martin

Richard
    First of all would you like to say how you relate to the Myers/Jacobs? The Jacobs are one of my paternal lines and I descend from Henry Jacobs/Kitty Moses. The Jacobs ( family name is Letson aka Litzen from Germany) descend from David Jacobs/Jane (unknown). I have posted significant data on some of the lines on this Jewish Forum. Some years ago a small group of Jacobs descendants met ( including myself) and collaborated on developing the Jacobs website which is on line. This website established by Dave Simpson contains a major data base of records on the various Jacobs including Henry Jacobs 1821-1888 ID 1931 who appears in The London Gazette April 23,1861 in the Debtor's Prison for London and Middlesex - Henry Jacobs late of 27 1/2 Duke Street Aldgate Butcher.
    There are a range of other records and sources of data on the lines including Cemetery Scribes and Synagogue Scribes websites; JewishGen UK Data base; British Newspaper Archives; Australian Newspaper Archives; New Zealand Newspaper Archives; GRO Records among others. Plus family trees.

The General Record Office ( GRO) for England is the major source for BMD records from 1837-present but not pre 1836 when Civil Registrations commenced. However, importantly there are some Synagogue Records which contain data on our lines and include the Hebrew original names.If you look at the Jacobs website you will see reference to these records..

Let me know if I can help further.
    Phillip

Richard
    I have ordered the GRO Records for the Birth of Judah Jacobs 1858 and the Marriage of Jacques D Myers 1888.
    Will post on the Records on receipt from General Registrar Office.
    Phillip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast