Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wendymac

Default WILLIAM & MARY HILLIER of WILCOT

Hi All,

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

My GGG grandad George Hillier b.1791 Wilcot lived in Woodborough. His parents were William and Mary HIllier of West Stowell Wilcot. I cannot find Marys maiden name, or a marriage for them anywhere and have been searching for about 12months now.

Could anyone help me please?

Thankyou

Wendy

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by wendymac View Post
    His parents were William and Mary HIllier of West Stowell Wilcot. I cannot find Marys maiden name, or a marriage for them anywhere and have been searching for about 12months now. Wendy
    Hi Wendy, 'of West Stowell, Wilcot' doesn't necessarily mean both, or either were born there. Where have you looked? There's a marriage on family search which took place .......... 14 Jul 1784, Bromham,​Wiltshire, bride Mary Gee. And also ... 19 Jun 1785 Steeple-​Ashton,​ Wiltshire, bride Mary Stokes.

wendymac

Default William & Mary hillier of Wilcot

Hi Lizzy9.

Thank you for your reply, I will have a look at those entries you have mentioned later. With not knowing where they were actually born it's really hard because there are so many William and Mary Hilliers. I thought if we (me and my sister) could find a marriage it would give us a lead on where they were born and at least Mary's maiden name but just can't find anything that fits and when we do find an entry we think maybe a possibility we are not sure because of the area on there.
    Thanks again though for your reply.

Wendy
    Last edited by wendymac; 07-05-2012 at 1:48 PM. Reason: wrong word entered

Lizzy9

Hi Wendy, have you looked for a grave? Sometimes memorial inscriptions have family names - they could have been buried in a family grave.

Wills ...... another route to investigate.

Coromandel

My GGG grandad George Hillier b.1791 Wilcot lived in Woodborough. His parents were William and Mary HIllier of West Stowell Wilcot.
    Hi Wendy

Are you sure that the George baptised in 1791 is your George? From your earlier threads here and here it sounds like yours was younger.

wendymac

Thank you both for your replies.

I'm not sure of anything anymore I'm that confused with it all. George lived in Woodborough and his marriage cert states 'of this parish' for where born. when I contacted NIMROD they searched for me all surrounding areas of Woodborough and George Hillier 1791 was the only one that fit in, as in there were about 18 entries for George Hillier but only one in 1790's.
    There is something though which I have noticed, when George was living in Honey Street after Kezia died young William (2yrs) was living with him Thomas the baby was a few doors away with a nusing mother (Carpel family) but also in the same house as George was a Mary Bishop 77yrs - widower, I wondered if this was his mother who had gone back to her maiden name but struggling to find a marriage for her and a William Hillier.

Thank you again for your help.

Wendy

Lizzy9

also in the same house as George was a Mary Bishop 77yrs - widower, I wondered if this was his mother who had gone back to her maiden name but struggling to find a marriage for her and a William Hillier
    Mary Bishop may be his mother,

Mary Hillier married William Bishop 5 Feb 1798, Overton Wiltshire. Overton, or West Overton, is less than ten miles from Pewsey.

Lizzy9

Also, a Mary Hillier married Samuel Bishop 10 Mar 1794, Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

wendymac

Thanks Lizzy9,

I have seen these before. If William is called Bishop though is he not the father?? I'm totally confused now.

Thank you

Wendy

Lizzy9

Two possibles, Wendy.

1) Mary married a Mr Hillier who died before 1794/8, the widowed Mary then married Mr Bishop.
    2) George was born to Mary Hillier a single mother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast