Thread: New Member

kchaters

Default New Member

Hi, my name is Kathy and live in the north east of England, I am researching the name CHATERS, AND JORDAN. I have traces the main line of Chater back to 1828 a marriage in Tynemouth between William Chater and Violet Addison, Violets father was called Robert Addison, he was a mariner. I am not sure where to go with the addison line as i cant find a record of Robert addison.

Violet was born in 1806 Northumberland Hawxley, but I have not found the parish record yet. She married William Chayter Wallsend 25 May 1828. I HAVE THE PARISH RECORD
    St Peter’s W CHAYTER VIOLET ADDISON 25 MAY 1828 WITTNESS - MARY ADDISON – JOSEPH MOURDUE

I wonder if Mary was her sister or her mother?

I have Andrew Jordan with his wife in 1851 Census:

Census 1851
    Embleton
    Piece 2419 Folio 748 Page 23

All Jordans..
    Head Andrew 57, labourer, born East Ord.
    Wife Barbara, ?? b.Lowick.
    Dtr, Ellen, unmarried 28, dressmaker, b. Beates Cross ( no county recorded)
    Son, Thomas, u/m, 19, labourer, b.Thornton.
    Grandtr, Margaret, 3, b.Brunton.

I have a record of Andrew Jordan

ANDREW JORDAN Male
    Event(s): Birth: 16 JAN 1794
    Christening: 19 JAN 1794 United Presbyterian, Spittal, Northumberland, England

I also have a record of Barbara gibbison who was his wife;

GIBBISON, Barbara Christening Sex: Female
    Christening Date: 13 Aug 1797 Recorded in: Saint James, Shilbottle, Northumberland, England
    Father: George GIBBISON Mother: Elizabeth

This is as far as I have got at present.

If anyone else is reserching The same names I would love to hear from you.

I would also like to say hi to jo who has been a great help getting me this far.

Best wishes

Kathy

Hi Kathy and welcome.

Here is the 1861 Census entry for Andrew and Barbara JORDAN.

RG9/3881 Folio 69 Page 12 Sch 48
    4 Stamford Farm, Stamford, Northumberland
    JORDAN
    Andrew Head Mar 68 Ag Lab Northumberland East Ord
    Barbara Wife Mar 69 Northumberland Lowick
    Mary Ann Daur in Law W 40 Gen Serv Northumberland Berrick
    Andrew Grandson Un 19 Ag Lab Northumberland Newham Barns
    William Grandson Un 15 Ag Lab Northumberland Doxford
    Eleanor Grandaur 2 Northumberland Embleton
    TUNNAH
    Margaret Serv Un 20 Farm Servant Northumberland North Sunderland

And Son Thomas in 1861.

RG9/3881 Folio 42 Pages 13 & 14 Sch 71
    65 Embleton Village, Northumberland
    JORDON
    Thomas Head Mar 29 Husbandman Berwickshire Thornton
    Elizabeth Wife Mar 26 Northumberland Shilbottle
    Mary Ann Daur 5 Scholar Northumberland Embleton
    Robert Son 4 Scholar Northumberland Embleton
    William Gibbison Son 8m Northumberland Embleton
    COXON
    Mary Catherine Border 7m Northumberland Embleton

Regards

Helen K
    Last edited by Lindores; 25-07-2005 at 2:57 PM.

Jo Simpsons

Hi Kathy!

Good luck.
    Jo

Philippa Todd

Default GIBBISONs At Last

Hi Kathy,

I've just seen your post from July referencing the name GIBBISON. It's the first time I've come across a reference to the name which I am researching (it's my mother's maiden name)!

My GGGrandfather was a James GIBBISON who arrived in Australia in December 1833 on the convict ship Lloyds. He was transported for life after being sentenced in the Northumberland Assizes in February 1833 for housebreaking! This recent discovery came as a bit of a shock to us all, as the family story was that the GIBBISONs had come as free settlers to South Australia at the time it was being colonised! I have managed to discover quite a bit about the Australian side of things but have hit the proverbial brick wall when it comes to all things UK. Based on his alleged age at the time of arriving James would have been born c1813. While I know a good deal about his physical appearance thanks to the detailed convict records, I haven't a clue as to his parentage or family connections.

I was hoping that an unusual name as this would make the research easier, but I very rarely come across another reference to it. So you have restored my faith - they do exist, and they are out there. I just have to find them!

Good luck with your JORDANs and CHATERS.

Philippa

Wirral

Hi Philippa
    There are nearly 50 GIBBISONs in the 1851 census on Ancestry, mostly in Northumberland & Durham. Plus others with variations in spelling of the name.

Philippa Todd

Hi Wirral,

Thankyou very much for the lead. I'll take a look and see what I can make of them all.

Cheers,
    Philippa

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Philippa,
    I'm wondering if you have managed to track down your Gibbison? My husband's ancestors came from Chatton and although our surname is now spelt " eson" research shows it was once an "i". I have been researching your James Gibbison and found that his mother was Mary Gibbison and he was Christened in 1814. I have been trying to place his mother so far without luck. Has your search been successful?
    Cheers,
    Beth

Hi Beth, and welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. Philippa hasn't visited the forum for about 6 years. However, she may get an email to say that there's been answer to her query (unless she's changed her email address).

Why not have a wander round, choose a suitable forum and tell us more about your research. We have some enthusiastic members who enjoy being presented with a new brick wall to attack!