Starting to feel at home

Default Fritz family from Unterwalden Austria

Looking for info on the Fritz family---Peter and Theresa. These are the children that I know of---Julia who married Jacob Mattes after she came to Canada. They lived in Winnipeg Manitoba. Julia had sisters Elizabeth, Karolina, Louise and brother Peter. Elizabeth was born in Unterwalden in 1904 and Julia born in 1900, I presume in the same place.
    Karolina married a Krahenbiel, Louise married a Liebrecht ----both marriages in Canada. Elizabeth married Friedrich Yaegar. I know Elizabeth came out in 1927. If anyone can help with info on this family it would be greatly appreciated.
    Pepperpot

almattes

Default Fritz Family from Unterwalden

Quote Originally Posted by pepperpot View Post
    Looking for info on the Fritz family---Peter and Theresa. These are the children that I know of---Julia who married Jacob Mattes after she came to Canada. They lived in Winnipeg Manitoba. Julia had sisters Elizabeth, Karolina, Louise and brother Peter. Elizabeth was born in Unterwalden in 1904 and Julia born in 1900, I presume in the same place.
    Karolina married a Krahenbiel, Louise married a Liebrecht ----both marriages in Canada. Elizabeth married Friedrich Yaegar. I know Elizabeth came out in 1927. If anyone can help with info on this family it would be greatly appreciated.
    Pepperpot
    I am doing the same thing. I am Al Mattes (George's oldest son). My brother Ken said that grandma told him that her village was bombed out of existence during the war. It seems unlikely to me as Unterwalden is a ski hill and a ski area although here are many towns close by. I am off to Austria next week and was thinking about going there but I am not certain if I can figure out where to go. I have a list of surnames from the Galacian region (Ancestry.dom) that lists a Fritz family from Unterwalden but that is as far as I have been able to go to date.

By the way who are you. It was great to see someone else was interested int same thing.

Regards

Al Mattes

August Rhapsody

Default Hi Al! I am Karen, Louise's grand-daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by almattes View Post
    I am doing the same thing. I am Al Mattes (George's oldest son). My brother Ken said that grandma told him that her village was bombed out of existence during the war. It seems unlikely to me as Unterwalden is a ski hill and a ski area although here are many towns close by. I am off to Austria next week and was thinking about going there but I am not certain if I can figure out where to go. I have a list of surnames from the Galacian region (Ancestry.dom) that lists a Fritz family from Unterwalden but that is as far as I have been able to go to date.

By the way who are you. It was great to see someone else was interested int same thing.

Regards

Al Mattes
    Hi Al! I am Karen, Louise's grand-daughter. June Liebrecht is my mom. Did you visit Unterwalden? Of course that's not its current name: Pidhaychyky sometimes, Podhajczyki. Did you find any info on Peter Fritz Jr, Aunt Julia's brother who died in the first World War? Do you have any info on Theresia Schmidt, Aunt Julia's mom? Do you know the person that left the first message (ie are we related to that person)???