Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    sezzle

Default Another adoption question

This is a bit of a family mystery/secret

It seems after my great granddad was KIA, my great gran had another child,
    Alls that is known is that she went away for a few months and then came back and her sister ended up with a new baby.

For the time i would have thought the name was quite unusal, she was called Dhama (unsure of spelling)

This would have been after 1941 when my great grandad passed away.

I have my great grans name, maiden name and her sisters name (not her married name)

Do you think this would have been a legal adoption or a case where her sister took the baby on?

I cant locate the child on the census so i thought maybe i had the name wrong but after double and tripple checking the older generation said it was def correct

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi sezzle
    If you want members to help you I think you need to put a bit more information about the people involved, names, ages, abode, anything that would help.
    Robert

Reputation beyond repute

If it was after 1941, why are you looking for census records?

Search the GRO indexes for a birth that corresponds to the information that you have.

No names, no pack drill if the person's still alive.

sezzle

also the child passed away quite young (probably why shes not on a census)

Reputation beyond repute

What post-1941 census is it that you have access to?

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Not to cause you grief, Peter, but my own father - now deceased - discovered that he was illegitimate. This fact became known to him in 1950. He therefore knew that information on census record since his birth [1919] would be incorrect, so he kept detailed notes about what he entered on census records since 1950 so that future generations of his family would know the truth.

Those notes I have and will pass on to my daughter so that if and when she has a child accuracy within the family will be ensured.

Colin

sezzle

Names of original mother: Nancy Blackburne nee Simpson
    Name of the sister: Lillian Simpson (she was married but dont know her married name)
    The childs name (that the family knows her as) was Darma (Dhama? ) i dont know if this was the name on her birth record, but its unlikely as i cant find a Darma anything in that time period.
    I only know it was after 1941 as this child was illigitimate and Nancys husband (my great grandad) was killed in action in the March.
    As i said the story is that she was putting weight on and she went away with her sister for a bit and came back slim but her sister had a new baby

thats all i have to go on, thanks x

sezzle

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    i dont know where my head was at, i meant birth records, anscestry throws census results up so i guess i had census in my head lol

Reputation beyond repute

I think you've got find out the sister's married name.

pennydog

To help with a time factor and a location

Nancy Simpson married Michael V Blackburne Sept qtr 1929 Manchester North 8d 1557.

Sezzle,
    Do you know the names of Nancy and Lillian's parents?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast