Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: CROFT/SCALES

Brian Hobin

I received a copy of an April 1899 add in the London Standard newspaper from Peter Higginbotham for homes adjacent selling at auction by Messrs P.J. & Son at 61, 63, 65, 67 Windsor Road. My mother was born at 69 Windsor Road in September 1900. Unfortunately I cannot copy and past the add as yet. Peter says that

"I think the houses were built 1898-99.
    Ad below is from April 1899.

For any more detailed information, suggest you try the local studies library"
    My question is whether there is an office or agency that I could contact to learn who leased or purchased the home at 69 Windsor Road?
    Regards
    Brian

Brian Hobin

a bit of information arrived this week that makes me question my mother's birth certificate. Any insight or suggestion would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Brian
    "
    Dear Mr. Hobin,

I have checked Windsor Road for you and there is a slight discrepancy.

I checked in a Kelly's directory for 1899-1900 and Windsor Road was there up to no. 65. I then had a look at the building plan index and nos. 69-75 were not built until after June 1901. As the census took place on 31st March 1901, it would explain why you were unable to find no. 69 Windsor Road. So if your mother was born in September 1900, she was not born at no. 69. Perhaps someone misread a number, either house or date. I hope this is helpful despite the irregularity of the dates."

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910