Joe Q

Default PATRICK QUINN. ROTHERHAM HOSPITAL.

Hi
    I am new to forum. I am trying to trace my relation Patrick Quinn 1885-1948. My information is that he died as a patient in Rotherham hospital in 1948. I have no exact date or home address for him in the UK. I live in Ireland and I am going to visit that area in May to visit his burial place if I can find it. Unfortunately the section of the hospital dealing with these type of records is closed for 6 months for renovations and I don't know how or where to get his date of death/death cert or burial place etc.
    Patrick was born in Co Sligo, Ireland, married and went from Ireland to UK to work on a regular basis.
    1941 Census I believe is not released yet so I am at a loss.
    I would be delighted if someone could help me with this.
    Joe

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Joe,
    Welcome to Brit-Gen.

There is a death registration for a Patrick Quinn, aged 62, Rotherham registration district, September quarter 1948.
    You need to send for that first of all, and see what information regarding an address, possible wife or child (i.e. informant of the death), it will have. I know the age is slightly out, but all the other details fit, and you often find that ages at death vary to the truth.

The easiest way is to apply online via the GRO, although as you're not too far away you could always phone late evening using a cheap rate. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

The details you need are Patrick Quinn, September quarter 1948, Reg district Rotherham, volume number 2c, page number 458. Don't think you need age at death, but if you do it's 62.

Don't quote me, but I think most hospital records are closed for 100 years, and possibly even then personal records are released only under special circumstances. (There are brainier people than me on the forum who will give you the precise details. )

Pam

Joe Q

Thumbs up

Thanks Pam. Your info was brilliant. I have ordered death Cert and await delivery.
    I hope this will lead me to Patrick's burial place.
    Many thanks again.
    Joe

Joe,
    When you have the death certificate, come back to this thread and tell us the details of where and when Patrick died, and the name and address of the informant.
    Across the top of the certificate it will say 'Registration district', and then underneath that 'death in the sub district of .... ' (possibly followed by 'in the county of ....'.
    That information might be useful too.

Hate to say it, but getting the death certificate is the easy bit in trying to track down a burial place, but we will do our best to help.

Pam

Joe Q

Pam
    Death Cert arrived. Date of death is 2nd July, in "The hospital UD", and registered 5th July. Occupation: of 6 Station Road, Rotherham U D. Wire works labourer. Residence of informant: C Canavan, Cousin, 77 College Road Rotherham. This name is unknown to me and a different address to the one given under occupation, which I assume was Patrick's residence. Heart problems was cause of death. Registration District: Sub-district of Rotherham, in the County Borough of Rotherham.
    Hope this might narrow the possible burial places to a few. Some footwork may be required on my visit in May. Patrick's wife would have been in Ireland at the time and of poor circumstances. Perhaps this might help narrow the search.#
    Is any further info required?
    Joe

Exactly what I needed, Joe.

Yes, the address of Station Road in the occupation box would be Patrick's address.
    Patrick was buried in Masbrough Cemetery on 7 July 1948. His age in the burial register may be 63 instead of 62. (For some reason it's not uncommon for ages to differ between the death certificate and the burial register or a tombstone.)

Googling finds https://www.
    rotherham.gov.uk/info/200032/deaths_funerals_and_cremations/876/cemeteries_and_crematorium/2
    And even better is https://www.
    rotherham.gov.uk/info/335/funeral-records/920/grave_searches
    which sounds as if it's free to search - many places charge you an arm and a leg to find those details.
    There is a weeny drawback, which seems from the 'office hours' as if you might have to go to the council offices in Rotherham rather than the cemetery office. There is a 'contact us' link, and judging by the 'filter' at the top of the page it would seem that you need to select 'advice and benefits. If you tell them Patrick's name and date and place of burial they may reply with the grave number and a map of how to find it. If not, you'll need to ask. Remember the grave number by itself is no help - you do need to know how to locate it!

If Patrick's mother's maiden name was Canavan, then the cousin should (if I can work it out correctly!) be the child of a brother of his mother. Otherwise, the cousin should be the child of a sister of either his mother or father. Other than that, I'm afraid I can't help, especially if they were born in Ireland as I know diddly-squit about searching Irish records.

Pam

Joe Q

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Exactly what I needed, Joe.

Yes, the address of Station Road in the occupation box would be Patrick's address.
    Patrick was buried in Masbrough Cemetery on 7 July 1948. His age in the burial register may be 63 instead of 62. (For some reason it's not uncommon for ages to differ between the death certificate and the burial register or a tombstone.)

Googling finds https://www.
    rotherham.gov.uk/info/200032/deaths_funerals_and_cremations/876/cemeteries_and_crematorium/2
    And even better is https://www.
    rotherham.gov.uk/info/335/funeral-records/920/grave_searches
    which sounds as if it's free to search - many places charge you an arm and a leg to find those details.
    There is a weeny drawback, which seems from the 'office hours' as if you might have to go to the council offices in Rotherham rather than the cemetery office. There is a 'contact us' link, and judging by the 'filter' at the top of the page it would seem that you need to select 'advice and benefits. If you tell them Patrick's name and date and place of burial they may reply with the grave number and a map of how to find it. If not, you'll need to ask. Remember the grave number by itself is no help - you do need to know how to locate it!

If Patrick's mother's maiden name was Canavan, then the cousin should (if I can work it out correctly!) be the child of a brother of his mother. Otherwise, the cousin should be the child of a sister of either his mother or father. Other than that, I'm afraid I can't help, especially if they were born in Ireland as I know diddly-squit about searching Irish records.

Pam
    I now have all the puzzle put together, thanks to your wonderful help Pam. Rotherham Crematorium link you mention above deals with the grave number and the map. Their administrator kindly gave me the grave number but because it is a public grave, there is no headstone and none permitted to be erected. I am informed that the map concerned is somewhat basic and only shows the sections of the cemetery and recommends that I contact their wardens who will show me the exact grave. This is a wonderful service, which I will avail of. I have the phone number to contact them for appointment to meet with their wardens. I'm not sure if I am allowed to write this phone number on this forum but if it's OK to do so and you would like to have it, then I will respond with it and any other help I can.
    I am now bitten with the bug to find out more about the cousin S Canavan

Hi Joe,
    I don't think the phone number is necessary. You've told us the system for finding a grave, which should help anyone else in the same situation. And full marks to Rotherham council/cemetery for being so helpful. (Please tell them that. As I said before, some councils will charge you an arm and a leg before being even half as helpful.)

While you're in Rotherham/before you go, it would be an idea to ask at the council offices if they have the electoral rolls for the area, or if they're not held at the council offices, where they're held. With a bit of luck you should be able to find out which years (if any) S Canavan lived at 77 College Road, and who else of voting age ((i.e. over 21) was living with him/her. Ah, just realised that there is a possible hitch to that suggestion - if people are from Eire then they won't be eligible to vote in English elections. On the other hand, S Canavan could have married someone from the UK and they would be listed at the address. Try also the Station Road address given on Patrick's death certificate. If you can see the electoral rolls I would view 1945/6 through to 1950 inclusive. The names of the residents of a street may be in alpha order, so you'll have to work your way through the numbers column to make sure you have all the residents at an address. If a Canavan is in College Road for several years, also have a look at the rolls for the 1930's, before the war. (No rolls were published during the war.)

In your search for S Canavan your next job is to find the brothers and sisters of Patrick's parents, and who they married. Should keep you busy for a couple of weeks.
    Finding their children should keep you busy for a further couple of weeks.

Pam

Joe Q

Default 2nd Br East Lancashire Regiment Of Foot

Can someone help me to contact the relevant organisation and address to inquire about a person who was in the 2nd British Lancashire Regiment of Foot. I believe this regiment operated in England from 1881 to 1883 and I suspect that the person I am trying to find was involved during this time. I don't know where or what organisation deals with this type of information now. Many thanks. Joe