I've just received a marriage certificate dated 24th July 1845 (Appledram in Sussex). The groom was William Howick "of age" and a bachelor. His father was Thomas Howick. The bride was Sarah Howick "a minor" and a spinster. Her father was George Howick. Both fathers were labourers and the groom was a mariner. William Howick signs his name and underneath (where Sarah's signature would appear) is "Sarah Howick + her mark". I haven't seen it written quite this way before but presume she was illiterate and someone wrote her name and then she made her mark. The witnesses are puzzling me though.

The first witness reads "Thomas Howick + her mark" and the second reads "Eliza Dunnaway (or Dumaway) + her mark".

If the Thomas Howick is the groom's father was "her mark" the bride's mother? Does this mean she was giving consent to the marriage of her daughter at the time of the marriage? I would presume it was given prior to the actual day of the wedding?

It seems slightly odd unless "her mark" should read "HIS mark"? Any experience of this please.

(William was born 1824 so (21 in 1845) whilst Sarah was born in 1827 so only 18 at the time of the marriage.)

Audrey