Ken_R

Default William PROBIN, Birmingham, Warks. Opinions?

Only having a 1911 subscription to FMP, I’m not sure how it might have been transcribed elsewhere.

I’m trying to follow a William PROBIN b.1830 Birmingham.

In 1881,
    RG11, Piece: 2991, Folio, 101, Page: 7
    A Gun Maker of 142 Great Hampton Row, Birmingham.

William Probin 51
    Eliza Probin 50
    Albert Train 25
    Caroline Train 24
    Thomas Probin 13

Thomas PROBIN might be the one to follow here as he was born before the 1871 census. Regd Q4 1868 to be more precise. And consider here that TRAIN has been mis-transcribed from TROTH.

In 1861, 20 years earlier, 87 Upper Tower Street, Birmingham,
    RG 9, Piece: 2158, Folio: 85, Page: 8

William Robin 31
    Sarah Robin 28
    William Robin 6

Where William Snr. Is a Gun Maker

The question immediately obvious is the Eliza/Sarah discrepancy, but I’ll come back to that.

Trying to find the family in 1871,
    RG10, Piece: 3121, Folio: 24, Page: 8

Is the nearest match that I can find.

William Rabin 41
    Sarah Rabin 38
    William Rabin 16
    Thomas Rabin 2

Thomas’s Birth being Regd Q4 1868, he would have been 2 at the time of the Census.
    Living in Tower Street (if I read it correctly), BUT, here William Snr is a Coal Merchant!

I’ve done the usual. Checked for RABIN in other years. Checked newspapers for William advertising as a Coal Merchant – although I don’t have ready access to Business Directories. Gun Making was a well paid profession. Did William take time out to pursue a Business venture?

There is a Death, Regd Q3 1871, Sarah PROBIN, Birmingham, estimated Birth year, 1832.

There is also a Marriage,Q1 1872 Aston 6d, 415. William PROBIN > Eliza TROTH.

Blimey! He didn’t hang about!

Before I start submitting corrections, I’d welcome other opinions.

Mutley

In 1841 Ancestry transcribes them as Paobin
    HO107/1143, Book 7, Folio 31, Page 21

In 1851 he is a Gun Barrel Maker as is his father Samuel Probin who was a Gun Barrel Maker in 1841
    HO107/Piece 2057 Folio 408 Page 18

The only marriage I can see between 1851 and 1871 for a William Probin is June 1863 with
    Elizabeth BUBB or Mary Ann SHIRLEY at Birmingham. I cannot see one with a Sarah.
    Other than
    Sept 1852 Wolverhampton William Probin and Sarah Plowman on the same page
    June 1855 Southampton William Parvin and Sarah Bendall on the same page

I also cannot find a better match for the 1871 than the one you have (Ancestry has Rabin)
    I think though, that it is Probin on the original. It does seem strange that father and son are now Coal Merchants but the men in the two houses below are Gun Makers!

I wonder about the son's occupations in later census, Gun Making seems to have been handed down the generations.

Mutley

I suppose young William's birth certificate in Sept 1855 at Birmingham would at least, tell you about Sarah.
    It would be interesting to see William Snr occupation on Thomas's birth certificate which should also give you Sarah's name.

Ken_R

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I also cannot find a better match for the 1871 than the one you have (Ancestry has Rabin)
    I think though, that it is Probin on the original. It does seem strange that father and son are now Coal Merchants but the men in the two houses below are Gun Makers!
    Thanks for the research on the earlier decades but, now that you've taken the trouble.........I've gone back a bit further.

I'm still not happy about the Coal Merchant bit.

As for Certificates, the younger William was the Father-in-Law to a Grand Uncle, so I'll not be shelling out shekels for that.

It was just that a connection popped up and.........thinking that they would be easy to trace through the census records, when it wasn't immediately apparent, it became a Challenge.

One extra bit that did pop up was that Eliza TROTH was a widow, seemingly, maiden name PRATT.

Thanks for your help. It may assist others at a future date.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

A bit more to the jigsaw

By Banns St.Mary
    8 Aug 1852
    PROBIN William full b Gun barrel maker Falkland Street Samuel Probin Gun barrel maker PLOWMAN Sarah

By Banns St.Mary
    27 Dec 1875
    PROBIN William 21 b Stamper 2 Ct.Littles Lane William Probin Gun barrel maker CHAMBERS Sarah Ann

source www.wolverhamptonhistory.org.uk

Ken_R

Thanks. Some useful info via that link. It has enabled me to confirm what was in a Public tree and provided me with Bap details for one of the Brides.