Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    glendagriffin

Default looking for info on John Griffin family

Hi..looking for info on the family of John Griffin who died approx Jan 1917..looking for descendants living in and around Hastings, UK...wife Elizabeth Jane Boxall Hemmings Griffin

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by glendagriffin View Post
    Hi..looking for info on the family of John Griffin who died approx Jan 1917..looking for descendants living in and around Hastings, UK...wife Elizabeth Jane Boxall Hemmings Griffin
    If anyone can help Glenda with details of potentially living people, please use the Private Message system as such details are not permitted on the open forum.

Thank you.

malcolm99

John Griffin and Elizabeth Jane B Hemmings were married in Hastings RD, June Quarter 1889.

Elizabeth appears to have been born in Hastings RD, March Quarter 1868.

...and in the 1911 Census>

Residence: All Saints Street, Hastings

They have been married 22 years and have had 6 children of whom 3 are still living.

John Griffin, age 48, Road Sweeper (and Fish Shop Owner?), born Newcastle(?) [probably incorrect]
    Mrs Griffin, wife, age 41, born Hastings, Clements.
    Johney (sic) Griffin, son, age 12, born Hastings, Clements.
    Henry Griffin, age 6, son, born Hastings, Clements.
    Annie Griffin, daughter, age 21, single, born Hastings.

They are also in the 1901 census in Hastings> RG13/870 fol. 10 p. 11. John Griffin is said to have been born somewhere which I can’t make out for the moment.

Do you know that John died about 1917 or is it an educated guess (I say this because I haven't yet found a death for him around this period)?

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    They are also in the 1901 census in Hastings> RG13/870 fol. 10 p. 11. John Griffin is said to have been born somewhere which I can’t make out for the moment.

Well it seems to say he was born in “Derbys. New Market Query Camb”. Well it can’t be both Derbyshire and Newmarket, Cambridgeshire. I’ll have a little dig around.

Edit: The 1911 Census ref is> RG14 PN4735 SN46
    Last edited by malcolm99; 09-04-2012 at 4:27 PM. Reason: added 1911 ref

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Well it seems to say he was born in “Derbys. New Market Query Camb”. Well it can’t be both Derbyshire and Newmarket, Cambridgeshire. I’ll have a little dig around.
    The most likely birth for John is in Derby Registration District, March Quarter 1864 (but I wouldn’t put next week’s rent on it!).

malcolm99

Glenda, if you think this is your family it should be possible to go forward from here. It's necessary to have this sort of base information so that we know we're dealing with the right family. Have you any information about the Griffin or Agent families after 1911?

glendagriffin

Oh my gosh...you sure do work quickly...yes you definitely are on the right path..how did you find out so much in such a short space of time...it took me a year to figure out there were 6 kids only 3 lived. The daughter Annie was my grandmother. She died in approx 1975..she was married to Henry Agent (my father Sydney John Griffin born in 1912 and sent to Canada as a homechild...and then married to William Avery...she had a son William Avery born approx 1922
    John Griffin died Jan 1917..he was on HMTJacamar which sunk off the coast of Kent..I cannot find much more on his death than that..I did find the info on the Portsmouth Naval Mem. Being on this site is new to me...not sure what I need to be doing..glenda

glendagriffin

Hi ...I think John was born in Newcastle under Lyme...and that his family came from Ireland possibly...not sure...his father was John Griffin and his mother Bridget Mulraney...at least this is what I have come to believe nothing written in stone of course...glenda

malcolm99

Have sent you a PM

malcolm99

A complete list of the crew of HM Trawler Jacamar which was sunk on 28 January 1917 is in this document:
    https://www.
    kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/DOVER%20PATROL%20VESSELS.pdf

There is a description of the wreck on this site>
    https://www.
    canterburydivers.org.uk/wrecks.html#jacamar

“HMT Jacamar

This Armed trawler of 293 tons was built in 1911 by Cook, Welton and Gemmell of Beverley and was serving as part of the Dover Patrol when she was sunk following a collision on 28 Jan 1917 a few miles South of Folkstone near what was the light vessel.
    Diving: The wreck lies in a max depth of 29m, she is upright with a slight list to starboard and very intact despite having been swept. She was identified as her name was on a brass lamp that has been recovered. The gun is off the side on the seabed in line with the highest point amidships on the port side.
    The decks are at 24-25m and you can enter the stern accommodation area with ease where there are still bunks on view attached to the hull. At the very stern the 2 toilets are still in place in their curved cubicles. The large winch is on view amidships and the bow is very intact. There is also more accommodation space amidships which can be entered but is much more of a squeeze.
    As usual with these very tough old trawlers she has held her shape very well.”

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast