Thread: Edward INALL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    gaelwyn

Default Edward INALL

Hi all,

I'm looking for the parents of Edward Inall. Born 4th June 1808 in London and christened 3rd July 1808 in St Bartholomews-by-the-Exchange in London.

They were supposedly William INALL and Margaret BLACKLOCK who were married on 14th Aug 1803 in St Bartholomews-by-the-Exchange Church, London.
    Apart from familysearch and local historians (Aus), I can't find anything in freereg or freecen

Edward Inall emigrated here in 1823, aged 15yrs. He arrived on the 'Francis' and was employed by Abraham Cornwell as a servant in Richmond, NSW.

Can anyone help?

Brick wall demolition expert!

1828 NSW Census has:

Edward Inall born abt 1797 arrived 1825 on board the Francis

and then immediately underneath is a Thomas Inall born abt 1788 who arrived as a convict with a 7 year sentence on board the Almorah in 1820,

NSW Historical Electoral Rolls have in the period 1859-1861 an Edward Inall and an Edward Inall Junior living in Hawkesbury.

Australian Birth Index 1788-1922 has
    1835 Edward Inall born to Edward and Margaret Inall in Richmond NSW
    1833 Edward Thomas Inall born to Thomas and Eliza Inall in Lanceston, Tasmania. He died aged 17.

Australian Death Index has
    Edward Inall died 1897 Richmond NSW

Australia Marriage Index has
    1831 Edward Inall and Margaret Scott in Richmond NSW
    1858 Edward Inall and Elizabeth Warwick Windsor NSW - this is probably the son.

London Baptism and Burials has
    Edward Inall baptised 3 Jul 1808 St Bartholomew by the Exchange, London. Parents William and Margaret Inall.
    The same parents also baptised a Thomas Inall in the same location on 24 Jun 1804

London Marriages and Banns
    William Inall married Margaret Blacklock 14 Aug 1803 at St Bartholomew the Great

gaelwyn

Thanks for clarifying a few things about Edward. So he was born abt 1797....have to look further back.
    Parents married in different church...and after his birth ???? The 1808 in the trees is baptism date :-)

Yes, son was Edward, the 1858 marriage. He was called Edward senior for obvious reasons....several trees actually have called him Edward Sen Inall, hahahaha.

So he had a brother, hmmmm, hope that makes it easier for me to track William and Margaret

These different St Bartholomews are confusing

Don't want to add to the confusion, but ....

I would adopt a cautious approach to the census birth dates. If Edward was only 15 when he arrived he might have felt the need to add a few years.

I look at another source and this has a William IMALL (not INALL) marrying Margaret Blacklock in 1803 at St Bartholomew by Royal Exchange. If you don't know London, the Royal Exchange is in the heart of the city of London. I think the post code is something EC3V.

I looked at Burials and a Margaret Inall (I assume that she is yours) was buried 13 Aug 1837 aged 57 - St Luke, Old Street. Again Old street is in the heart of London. She had been living in Wellington Street. There is Wellington Street just off the Aldwich in the heart of theatre land. This is not that close to Old Street, but there is also a burial of a William Inall aged 77 in the same church on 30 Jun 1829 and before that he had been living in Teanby's Buildings. Unfortunately this location has long since gone, either in the Blitz or just through redevelopment.

gaelwyn

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Don't want to add to the confusion, but ....

I would adopt a cautious approach to the census birth dates. If Edward was only 15 when he arrived he might have felt the need to add a few years.

I look at another source and this has a William IMALL (not INALL) marrying Margaret Blacklock in 1803 at St Bartholomew by Royal Exchange. If you don't know London, the Royal Exchange is in the heart of the city of London. I think the post code is something EC3V.

I looked at Burials and a Margaret Inall (I assume that she is yours) was buried 13 Aug 1837 aged 57 - St Luke, Old Street. Again Old street is in the heart of London. She had been living in Wellington Street. There is Wellington Street just off the Aldwich in the heart of theatre land. This is not that close to Old Street, but there is also a burial of a William Inall aged 77 in the same church on 30 Jun 1829 and before that he had been living in Teanby's Buildings. Unfortunately this location has long since gone, either in the Blitz or just through redevelopment.
    Thank you again, Megan.

The different spelling is good....some trees had written 'EINALL'....so another track to follow

No I don't know anything about places in London.....I'm from many, many convicts, hahaha and not travelled to England. Would love to see the places that bred my ancestors, though!! I've checked out St Barts and know that it was rebuilt by Christopher Wren but since demolished.

At least I now have a possible death for William and Margaret.

Cheers

Most of the places you can find on Google Maps.

I did a search on Thomas Inall, as often convicts leave a good documentary trail ...

I can't find any evidence of his conviction but in the NSW Colonial Secretary's Papers which are held by the NSW Govt there are 3 references to him:

Event Date: 16 Sep 1823
    Event Description: Re permission for his discharge from the "Henry"
    Comments: Steward
    Series: (NRS 897) Main series of letters received, 1788-1825
    Item: 4/1772
    Page: 141

Event Date: 20 Sep 1823
    Event Description: Granted
    Series: (NRS 937) Copies of letters sent within the Colony, 1814-1825
    Item:4/3509
    Page: 291

Event Date: 9 Apr 1825
    Event Description: On crew list of "Nereus" which rescued crew of "Belinda"
    Series: (NRS 897) Main series of letters received, 1788-1825
    Item: 4/1785
    Page: 158

Ancestry has NSW Register of Coroner's Inquests 1762-1942 and that has:
    Name: William Inall
    Inquest Date: 26 Jun 1890
    Inquest Location: Lismore (Hospital)
    Death Place: Lismore
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1850
    Birth Place: New South Wales
    Injuries sustained in accident whilst felling timber

Finally because Inall is not that common I told a chance and search on that term in the Old Bailey on Line web site. The Old Bailey is the main criminal court in London. There is a trial 12 Jan 1820 where a John Inall who is a publican is the victim /witness to a theft. The website is www.oldbaileyonline.org

Quote Originally Posted by gaelwyn View Post
    These different St Bartholomews are confusing
    I came across this site which I thought you might like:

https://www.
    greatstbarts.com/

Smithfield, is and has been for centuries, one of the principal markets in the city of London, and in this case it is meat.
    Last edited by Procat; 12-04-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Link removed - asks for donations. See AUP