pattenwalsh

Default Irish Family History Federation credits

The IFHF, rootsireland.ie have now introduced a credits system which,when bought,will make looking at records much cheaper.
    Previously the cost to look at a record was 5 euro,but this can be now as little as 2 euro if you buy 750 credits for 60 euro.
    Their credit costs are ,
    €5.00 - (35 Credits)
    €10.00 - (73 Credits) - Bulk Saving
    €18.00 - (150 Credits) - Bulk Saving
    €32.00 - (320 Credits) - Bulk Saving
    €60.00 - (750 Credits) - Bulk Saving

Loves to help with queries

Thumbs down IFHF charging for looking at indexes

Quote Originally Posted by pattenwalsh View Post
    The IFHF, rootsireland.ie have now introduced a credits system which,when bought,will make looking at records much cheaper.
    But they are now charging for searches of the index even before seeing any records. There has been very strong negative response to this move.
    See the irish-genealogy-news.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/how-to-kill-off-goodwill-in-one-easy.html on 27th March.

Then on 30th March the Irish Genealogical Research Society issued the following statement

A backward step

Recently, much has changed for the better in Irish genealogy, what with records coming online for free, or being made more generally accessible.

But the recent introduction by the Irish Family History Foundation (through its website RootsIreland.ie) of charges to view its online indexes to records has come as a complete shock.

It appears that mixed messages are now emanating from Ireland! One of the most used and beneficial websites, sponsored by the Irish government’s department for Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Affairs - IrishGenealogy.ie - offers free access to parish register indexes and records from Dublin, Cork, Kerry and Carlow.

The site is a joy to use, and for most entries links are provided to digital images of the original record, enabling verification of data.

Meanwhile, the IFHF does not provide links to the original records and charges have now been put in place to view the indexes, and that’s before paying to view the transcription of the record itself. Contrasted with the government website, this appears a poor bargain by comparison.

It is a worthwhile exercise to read RootsIreland's extremely restrictive Terms and Conditions. The tone is hectoring and threatening – and it begs the question of who on earth advised them on their public relations policy?

Quite alarmingly, the terms determine “your rights, responsibilities and benefits” but I think most researchers will be alarmed to read that “you may only use rootsireland.ie and its contents for your own personal non-commercial use... you cannot provide third parties with details of any records that you have paid to view, even if you provide them for free (so don’t pass on any family history records to your family)... if you do not agree with any of the Terms and Conditions do not use the site”...threats of disconnection and possible prosecution follow.

Given the number of complaints already received by the IGRS, the IFHF clearly needs to seriously re-think this model of negativity and re-instate the free viewing of the indexes without delay!
    Then this week the noted Irish genealogist John Grenham commented adversely on it in his blog for the Irish Times under the heading "Oh No. Not Again"

The Council of Irish Genealogical Organisations refer to " the bizarre new charging structure implemented".

I have also seen plenty incensed response on rootsweb county mailing lists.

Charging for searches before looking at transcripts, without access to images and clear lists of actual datasets being held seems a cheek to many, especially those with common names.

Mutley

Goodness!
    It was difficult enough to work out if they were yours from the free index especially with some of the spelling variants,
    I've paid for several that were not.
    If I also have to pay to look at the index...... forget it.

I 5think a lot of researchers will vote with their feet on this one. I used their site once and decided that I would be better off finding a researcher in Ireland and paying them rather than paying blind. The other alternative would be to hand the money to a passerby... and none of us is that daft are we?
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

lizone

Totally agree with the comments - I too have made a couple of expensive mistakes due to the limited search facility. I was pleased to see the original post and then my heart sank at the response ...

Liz

Famous for offering help & advice

Like lizone I was excited by the original posts, but then disappointed. I only have one family from Ireland, but the surname is Thompson and so far I haven't had any luck. I did find out that Thompson is the 3rd most common Irish surname....thanks a lot gr. grandfather Those who came to Canada at the end of the famine didn't bring their family history with them...... at least I haven't found it ....yet!

Sue