Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    HUDBUD

Smile Stainforth/Hudson

For a long time I have been trying to find the birth of James Hudson who returned from India to Weston Super Mare after 21 years about 1900, married Florence Amelia Neat 1902 and had a son Owen in 1905. Then is becomes complicated, James died 1912 and the informant on his death certificate was his mother Emily Stainforth. James was buried in Weston Super Mare and his mother was buried after him in 1912 the kerbstone reads Emily Stainforth and her eldest son James, this I have confirmed by the burial register.

I therefore started to look at the family of Stainforth, Emily Stainforth nee Pratt and Richard Ruthven Stainforth, they were married 1858 Stockwell Surrey, moved to Headingley Leeds where the first child was born Isabella 1859 then Edmund 1860 as the 1861 census shows. The family moved to Weston Super Mare by then there was Owen born 1862 Richard 1869 and Charlotte and Margaret as per the 1871 census By 1881 Edmund was not to be found any census or any others and no death. From the India office Edmund was in India from 1884 through to 1900 then nothing. Edmund married a Catherine F Cook 1896 in India but not able to trace anything else

I have tried all aspects around the Pratt family to see if there was a son born before marriage or one adopted from a family member nothing. Have read all the wills available no mention of Edmund, Did Edmund change his name on returning to Weston Super Mare to James Hudson, any advice would be very much appreciated

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Your search does have problems, in that James doesn't appear with the Family ever in censuses, even Owen is not about in 1881. If James is later stated as eldest Son it would suggest Edmund is he. Perhaps he had some difficulty which sent him abroad, & no appearance in later censuses.

Edmunds birth is evident on FreeBMD but not James.

I gather you haven't heard more of Catherine nee Cook?
    I hope someone can help with this perhaps from the E.Indies side. Have you tried for her on Ancestry trees or Genes Reunited?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

HUDBUD

Hi thanks for the reply, I have tried looking for Catherine nee Cook no luck with the exception of an entry in England death London 1925 which I might have to send for the death certificate if only to eliminate. The Stainforths were a very eminant family in India, and were connected to the Baring Bank so lets hope some one can help, again thanks and best wishes

Coromandel

Out of interest, what does James' marriage certificate say about his father's name and occupation, and were any of his relatives witnesses?

HUDBUD

Hi James marriage certificate gives the father as Richard Hudson Banker, Edmunds father was a Richard Ruthven Stainforth. and was also a Banker. The witnesses at the wedding were Florence Amelia Neate`s sister and husband

Knowledgeable and helpful

I don't see mention of the possibility that James' mother Emily Hudson remarried to a Mr Stainforth. Is this something that you have investigated? pwholt

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by HUDBUD View Post
    Did Edmund change his name on returning to Weston Super Mare to James Hudson, any advice would be very much appreciated
    If you think that a change of name was involved, a good place to start would be this TNA Research Guide.