David Annis

Default Warwick Bagley, Farmer and Grower.

I have almost compleated an extensive family tree for a work mate and now would just like to round it off, if possible, with the earliest I have found, direct line ancester's details.
    Warwick Bagley.
    Born about 1789 in the Fulham area of Middlesex. I suspect he may have been born in West Drayton, Middlesex.
    Warwick is a farmer and market gardener. In fact many of his family are farmers and growers in and around West Drayton. They are not gentlemen farmers but they are not short of money.
    There is plenty of evidence from the many wills I have seen of the Bagley family.
    West Drayton has a number of area's with the name Bagley involved and I see there's a reference to a Warwick Villa's.
    I wonder if anyone has access to finding who Warwick's parents were and if possible his siblings.
    It is an extensive family and the name Warwick, pops up in a number of the Bagley family.
    Looking at A----try, other people who have trace this family give the names of Warwicks parents as William and Ann. None of them confirms these names with evidence of dates or places and no siblings are shown.

I found one very interesting piece of Warwicks history on line. In 1838 a trial where a Susan Overs, servant of Warwick's is charged with stealing a hankerchief, value 6p, a pocket book, value 6p and 20 sovereigns.
    Poor Susan, who is 16 years old, is found guilty and sentenced to 7 years transportation.
    I then found in FMP, that Susan arrives on the shores of New South Wales, 13th May, 1839, on a ship called "Planter". Out of curiosity I must now post a question to our Australian friends to check if little Susan survives in Australia. I shudder to think what treatment a young girl, on her own, suffered on board ship and when she was a convict in Australia.
    So back to Warwick Bagley, any help will be great.
    Cheers
    Dave.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by David Annis View Post
    I have almost compleated an extensive family tree for a work mate and now would just like to round it off, if possible, with the earliest I have found, direct line ancester's details.
    Warwick Bagley.
    Born about 1789 in the Fulham area of Middlesex. I suspect he may have been born in West Drayton, Middlesex.
    Warwick is a farmer and market gardener. In fact many of his family are farmers and growers in and around West Drayton. They are not gentlemen farmers but they are not short of money.
    There is plenty of evidence from the many wills I have seen of the Bagley family.
    West Drayton has a number of area's with the name Bagley involved and I see there's a reference to a Warwick Villa's.
    I wonder if anyone has access to finding who Warwick's parents were and if possible his siblings.
    It is an extensive family and the name Warwick, pops up in a number of the Bagley family.
    Looking at A----try, other people who have trace this family give the names of Warwicks parents as William and Ann. None of them confirms these names with evidence of dates or places and no siblings are shown.

I found one very interesting piece of Warwicks history on line. In 1838 a trial where a Susan Overs, servant of Warwick's is charged with stealing a hankerchief, value 6p, a pocket book, value 6p and 20 sovereigns.
    Poor Susan, who is 16 years old, is found guilty and sentenced to 7 years transportation.
    I then found in FMP, that Susan arrives on the shores of New South Wales, 13th May, 1839, on a ship called "Planter". Out of curiosity I must now post a question to our Australian friends to check if little Susan survives in Australia. I shudder to think what treatment a young girl, on her own, suffered on board ship and when she was a convict in Australia.
    So back to Warwick Bagley, any help will be great.
    Cheers
    Dave.
    The Warwick that has parents William and Ann appears to be have baptised Hammersmith 1817-bit late for your Warwick I would think..of course he could have been baptised later..but not the norm..this couple also appeared to have Helen 1818 Joshua 1815 William 1813

David Annis

Thank you. This is why I am very suspicious about the William and Ann parentage of Warwick. I think the family you have mentioned are close relations as they are also farmers and growers. This William could well be a brother to Warwick and in fact gives one of his children the same name. There are a number of instances where the Bagleys in that area of Middlesex give identical names to their children. Which adds to the fun of sorting out which is which.
    Cheers.
    Dave.

Looking at Bagley families from West Drayton through the Hugh Wallis site shows exactly what you are saying but it also shows that the LDS only have records from 1813 on and given that the Warwick Bagley is used in that family frequently searches before that date on the IGI reveal nothing.

There is a Middlesex FHA which might be useful in getting further on-line

https://www.
    west-middlesex-fhs.org.uk/content/indexes_registers.aspx

Thank you. This is why I am very suspicious about the William and Ann parentage of Warwick. I think the family you have mentioned are close relations as they are also farmers and growers. This William could well be a brother to Warwick and in fact gives one of his children the same name. There are a number of instances where the Bagleys in that area of Middlesex give identical names to their children. Which adds to the fun of sorting out which is which.
    Cheers.
    Dave.
    Using the children of William and Annes baptisms as a guide, searched marriages 1808-1813 Only 1 I found in that period is a William Baggely-Ann Sherlock-Fulford Stafford-25 Nov 1811

The Joshua son of William and Ann is on the 1841/51 census he is a market gardener, his birth is noted as Narphars Bush, Middlesex, England, Joshua has also named one of his children Warwick....is transcribed as Warrick.

David Annis

From Warwick Bagley onwards I have pretty well sorted this tree out. They stay in the Middlesex area when spread out into Warwickshire. They own or are tenents of a fair few farms and smallholdings. Some of their children are sent to private schools.
    One is a butler at Kensington Palace. Two of the females are hairdressers, one described as a court hairdresser and the other is working in Sloane Street, Chelsea. Some sons become butchers and farmers, there is a headmaster of a school and a governess. but their fortunes seem to wane in the later census's, from butchers to labours and factory workers.
    As far as I can see, Warwick had four children and there are two I cannot be sure are his. I feel they maybe children of this William and Ann. One thing that does stand out is that in most cases neither the males or females were long lived and they were very good at producing large familys.
    Warwick's birth is given as about 1789. I'm sure he has brothers and sisters around West Drayton, Kensington, Fulham and other area's of Middlesex. West Drayton has the name "Bagley" in a number of parts of the town, so the family must have be considered to be of some importance in the area.
    Warwick married Mary Brown in London. 16th Feb. 1814.
    Cheers
    Dave.

David Annis

I think I'm losing it.
    Warwick and Mary had at least six children, plus two I'm not so sure of.
    Mary Ann. 1814. West Drayton.
    William 1815. Fulham.

I think I'm losing it.
    Warwick and Mary had at least six children, plus two I'm not so sure of.
    Mary Ann. 1814. West Drayton.
    William 1815. Fulham.
    Re William....He is on the 1851 census and has a sister Harriet living with him and his family..Did Warwick and Mary have a daughter Harriet brn abt 1823 Fulham? I can see a baptism for a harriet daughter of Warwick and Mary West Drayton.

David Annis

Thank you Valg.
    If you look you will also see in 1851 a Harriet Bagley, born West Drayton 1823, with her brother, James Bagley.
    James Bagley was the son of Warwick and Mary.
    And this is where I'm having family cross over problems. I'm sure I have unknown brother or brothers of Warwick using the same names for their children.
    Cheers.
    Dave.

Twizi

Hi,
    I don't know if you're still trying to fathom it all out but I've been "working" on the Bagley line for a while now and only just found this thread.
    The tree runs: Robert & Mary Bagley had 10 children - Robert, Alice, William, Warwick, Mary, George, Charles, Harriet, Thomas & Elizabeth.
    - William married Ann and they had Robert, William, Joshua, Warwick, Harriot & Thomas.
    - Warwick went to West Drayton and married a Mary, they had Mary Anne, James, Harriet, George, Alfred and Charles.
    - Harriet married into the Matyears, another Fulham/Chelsea Market Gardener family.
    The other children of Robert & Mary nearly all married to but I've not found out much more about these lines.
    Warwick of West Drayton, I know that Mary Anne, George and Charles married.
    Robert & Mary Bagley - all their children were born between 1780 - 1812, there's more information at the West Middlesex Family History Society, as well as something in "Feret" (?) about a Deliverence Smith selling freehold to Robert Bagley in the early 1800s. Robert's will also mentions leaving freeholds & Leaseholds to sons Warwick, Robert, George & Charles.
    Robert's parents look likely to be Richard & Alice, (Richard seems to have been married twice before - no children survived either of these marriages). Boys with "Shirley" as a middle name also seem to run in the family.
    Hope this helps fill out the family tree. I'd be interested in any other information you might find out.