Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    geno

Default Annie Amelia Hanson Grimsby/Manchester

This is a confusing brickwall that I'm revisiting. I'm hoping some fresh eyes can help me untangle it.
    This is what I know so far:
    Annie Amelia Hanson first appears in the 1891 census lodging with Thomas Stephen and Georgina Tucker in Grimsby, she was born about 1871 in Manchester.
    She marries Charles Fowler Ironmonger in 1892 Grimsby her fathers name is given as William Hanson.
    A Sarah Ann Hanson who I believe is her sister marries William Linford in Grimsby she is from Manchester born 1874 and her father is named William on her marriage certificate.
    I found William Hanson in 1891 living in Grimsby with his 'wife' Catherine Hanson (nee Day) his place of birth is given as Walsall Staffordshire, they have a son William Hanson born in Grimsby 1883.
    However in the 1901 census his place of birth is given as Manchester, here he is living with Georgina Tucker his daughter (actually his stepdaughter)
    Georgina Tucker (nee Day) who lives with both Annie and William, is the daughter of Catherine from a previous marriage. Catherine is from Orkney and I believe she was married twice before William first to a Mr Cooper then to a Mr Day.
    I can't find Annie Amelia or Sarah Ann's births in Manchester or either of them in a census prior 1891.
    Or William Hanson and Catherine Days marriage.
    Or William Hansons son William Hanson (Junior) birth in 1883.

Hope all that makes sense. I'm sure I've overlooked something so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Coromandel

Those trying to help geno with this one may find it instructive to read this thread on another forum, where a lot of work has already been done on this family:

https://www.
    rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,551750.0.html

geno

Good idea, I was the one to start the rootschat thread, they were really helpful. I thought I'd just gather all the info together and have another look at it, see if we can find anything new.

Coromandel

I'm not having much luck with the Hansons I'm afraid. I think there must be some complication that we don't know about yet (did William have an alternative surname, perhaps? Or did he have a previous partner who was mother of Annie Amelia and Sarah Ann, and their births were registered under their mother's surname?).

In the meantime I have been having a look at the Days instead.

From the other thread, Catherine Day had a daughter Catherine Jane Day born about 1866 in Orkney. Scotland's People has the birth registration of a Catherine Jean Day in Orkney in 1865. This could be the right girl, as the names Jean and Jane were interchangeable in Scotland. Her birth certificate should tell you who her parents were and where/when they married.

I am not convinced that the Catherine Cooper in South Shields in 1861 (see other thread) is the same person. Perhaps your Catherine was still in Orkney in 1861?

As for when she got together with William Hanson, it looks from the censuses to be between 1881 and 1891. There only seems to be one Cath* Day marriage in the Grimsby area in that period, and from the other thread that looks to be the marriage of Catherine junior (i.e. the above Catherine Jane Day) to Robert Snelling.

If Catherine Day senior and William Hanson didn't get around to marrying, then a possible birth registration for their son William is the Frederick William Day whose birth was registered in the Caistor district in the first quarter of 1884. But he could equally well be someone completely different.

Grimsby baptism records might be helpful. I don't know if they're online anywhere: will go off and have a look.

geno

https://www.
    lincstothepast.com is a good source for baptism records in Grimsby.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 29-03-2012 at 4:22 PM. Reason: Url edited - commercial website. Please read the Terms of Service

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    From the other thread, Catherine Day had a daughter Catherine Jane Day born about 1866 in Orkney. Scotland's People has the birth registration of a Catherine Jean Day in Orkney in 1865. This could be the right girl, as the names Jean and Jane were interchangeable in Scotland. Her birth certificate should tell you who her parents were and where/when they married.
    In fact the birth is on FamilySearch in their 'Scotland, Births and Baptisms 1564-1950' database:

Catherine Jean Day, daughter of John Day & Catherine Mowat, born 4 July 1865, Westray & Papa Westray, Orkney.

Edit:
    . . . and by playing around with the free marriage index on Scotland's People I can see that a John Day and Catherine Mowat married in Westray in 1863.

geno

That helps explain her daughter Jannet Cooper who was living with her in the 1871 census, she was born prior to Catherines marriage to John Day. I''ve just had a search for her and found her baptism, her parents are Thomas R Cooper and Catherine Mowat.

Maggiemac

There is a marriage in Grimsby for
    William Sinclair Hanson age 21 living at 13 Hope Street Grimsby a fisherman his father was also William Sinclair
    He married Harriet Codd

Maggiemac

Sorry I forgot to put the date for the marriage of William Sinclair Henson it was 29th October 1900

geno

That looks promising, this part of my family is centred around Hope Street.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast