Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    geno

Found William Sinclair Hansons birth registered in Oct 1881 Caistor District
    In the 1901 census Harriet his wife is home alone, there is a note next to her name saying 'wife of W.S Hanson fisherman at sea'
    Again in 1911 Harriet is alone, William was written then crossed out
    Harrriet dies in 1927.
    In 1931, William marries Gertrude Hostad (who coincidently is the cousin of my Great Grandmother on the otherside of my family, I'd already written down who she married, so feeling disappointed that I overlooked that)
    William dies in 1947, estimated year of birth is 1882.

geno

In 1881 Catherine Day is widowed living in Grimsby, but there is no William Junior or Senior living with her. So presumably she is not his mother. However I still can't find any of the Hansons in the 1881 census or before then.

geno

Just a little update. I purchased William Sinclair Hansons birth certificate he was born 06/10/1881, back of 136 Garibaldi St, Grimsby. His father was William Hanson railway plate layer and his mother was Catherine Hanson formerly Day.
    Based on his date of birth his father ‘should’ already be living in Grimsby at this time. But he is nowhere to be seen on the 1881 census and as mentioned above Catherine is living as a widow. Checked the address mentioned on the cert in the 1881 census but no sign of William or any of the other Hansons.

danhall14

Default William Sinclair Hanson

Hi Geno,

I have been looking far and wide to find the death date of William Sinclair Hanson, and you are the only one who appears to know this - 1947. I know it's been a few years since you posted in this thread, but do you remember where you found this info.? Much appreciated!

Daniel

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Daniel,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Geno hasn't been around BG for a couple of years but hopefully he/she has retained their email address from those days and will receive notification that a post has been made in this thread.

In the meantime, I can tell you that there is a death registration for a William S Hanson in Grimsby registration district, September quarter 1947. William's age at death is given as 65 which would be correct if this is the William born in October 1881.

Pam

danhall14

Thank you. Our grandmother has recently passed away I'm afraid, but it has lead to some family history digging. We have found a photograph of William Sinclair Hanson, as as we are related to him. On the back of the photograph it is written: "William Sinclair Hanson born October 5th 1881, died July 1947. Trawler mate out of Grimsby. First went to sea in 1892 on a 16 week voyage. The son of William Hanson and Catherine Hanson (nee Stuart), a scotch herring girl from whiting Bay, Isle of arron. The name of Sinclair was also w. S. Hansons uncle, who was a crofter on the Isle. Picture taken abt. 1940".

We are just struggling to make all facts add up. We can't find anything of a Catherine Stuart, only a Catherine day. Also are struggling to find any concrete information on his father. Any ideas anyone? :-)

geno

Hi Daniel

William S Hanson who died in 1947 he was 65 when he passed.
    The link-https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?r=194840645:1375&d=bmd_1445847588

I continue to be unable to trace their origin or even find any of the them before their arrival to Grimsby

danhall14

Thanks Geno. My last post was written on the back of William Sinclair Hansons photograph, don't know if it helps, but we are stuck too. Think it is strange that it says Catherine (nee Stuart) instead of (nee Day)... Do you have any info on his parents, origins, life etc.? It's very frustrating!

janbooth

I think the 1891 census of Great Grimsby (RG12/2618, folio 13, page 19) will explain the confusion re Catherine:

80 Hope Street, Clee with Weelsby

William HANSON Head Mar 49 Dock Labourer Walsall Staffs
    Catherine do Wife Mar 53 Scaloway? Shetland
    William do Son S 8 School Gt Grimsby
    John T DAY Son S 19 Fisherman do
    Eliza do Daur S 12 School do

From this record it would appear that Catherine was married to a Mr DAY prior to her marriage to William HANSON.

1881 census of Clee with Welsby shows Catherine DAY as a widow living at Trinity Square with children Georgiana, Emily, John, Archibald & Eliza, all born Grimsby. 1871 census of Grimsby shows Catharine DAY as a Fisherman's Wife - no husband with her - living with her children, the eldest of whom is 5 and born in Orkney, so I am assuming she may have married Mr DAY in Scotland.

Janet

janbooth

Probably should have read the first posts more carefully as you already have a lot of this information, but the first two of Catharine DAY's children were born in Westray, Orkney and there is a marriage on Ancestry dated 14 September 1863 at Westray for a John DAY & Catharine COOPER which fits in very well with the dob of the first of the children of Catharine DAY shown in the 1871 census of Clee. Oh cripes, this gets more complicated by the minute. Looking for the baptism of Catherine DAY's first child Catharine, who according to the 1871 census of Clee was born c1866 at Westray, brings up the baptism at Westray on 4 July 1865 of Catherine Jean DAY, parents John DAY & Catherine MOWAT according to Ancestry. I think I need a break!

Janet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast