Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Did she obtain a divorce 1911-1912?

I have found a lady by the name of Elizabeth Ann Eathorne, who in the 1891 census was living with her widowed mother and in the same household was a lodger. His name was Frederick William Curtis. She was a Laundress and he was a Railway Labourer. The address was Centenary Row, Camborne

She married him it would appear in 1895 [Jan-Mar.q]and set up home in Camborne and he changes occupation. A daughter named Hilda is born in 1898.

The 1901 census census now has them living at 81 Dolcoath [?] Road, Camborne. The image is faded but that is how it is transcribed on FMP. He is now a Tin Miner Labourer. With them is her widowed mother. His wife is enumerated as Annie.

Between 1901 and 1911 they have another child that dies and in the 1911 census, he is now a Tin Dresser, his wife is enumerated as Elizabeth Ann, the daughter Hilda is at School - Full time and the widowed mother is still with them. They live on Moor Street, Camborne.

Now my question - could she have obtained a "quickie" divorce and reverted back to her maiden name? FMP has Divorce details but the records only go to 1903 and I can't find anything elsewhere

There is a marriage Oct-Dec q. 1912 with an Elizabeth A. Eathorne and this is the only one I can find that kind of matches.

Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful

Are you sure that this is the ELizabeth Ann you are looking for? does her age match the one in the marriage? there is another b 1892 daughter of James & Grace who would have been old enough to marry, with consent of parents) in 1912
    Ah - just saw your other thread and she was apparently the same age as her spouse so not the younger one.
    As far as I am aware there was no such thing as a "quickie" divorce back then. Presumably you have looked for a death for Frederick Curtis.

Jan1954

Hello Colin - I have had a quick look at section J 77 (divorce records) of the National Archives catalogue, but there are no matches. You may have to bite the bullet and buy the certificate to find out.

However, before you spend any money, see if you can find any other Elizabeth Eathorne in the 1911 and 1901 censuses.

It looks like Frederick died in 1933 Mar Q (Redruth RD 5c, 313) age 69 fits with his age as per 1891 census

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    The 1901 census census now has them living at 81 Dolcoath [?] Road, Camborne. The image is faded but that is how it is transcribed on FMP.
    This doesn't answer your question about the divorce . . . but Google Maps shows that there is still a Dolcoath Road in Camborne.

Colin Rowledge

And also in 1939 in Redruth - an Elizabeth A. Curtis with an age that also matches the 1891 census.

Guess I just have to buy the darned certificate.

El cheapo - Colin

How about Elizabeth Ann daughter of Richard Pryor Eathorne (miner of Carn Kye) and Mary Jane, baptised 25 April 1865 at Carnmenellis ?
    she is with family in 1871 and as a servant in 1881, haven't found her later yet

That Elizabeth appears to have married John George in 1891 at Falmouth - in 1911 she and daughter Beulah are still in Falmouth she says married although husband John is not at home.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hello Colin - I have had a quick look at section J 77 (divorce records) of the National Archives catalogue, but there are no matches. You may have to bite the bullet and buy the certificate to find out.

However, before you spend any money, see if you can find any other Elizabeth Eathorne in the 1911 and 1901 censuses.
    Thanks Jan

There is an Elizabeth M with right age in both 1911 and 1901 census's. She is a dressmaker living in Redruth - both times - and was born in Helston and is unmarried.

Colin Rowledge

Since I seems to be grasping at straws, I did find this birth in 1866 - Elizabeth A. Eathorn with no e - Redruth, Jan-Mar q. vol. 5c page 324. Cannot find her in 1871 nor a death between 1866 and 1871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast