Bronco

Default Lost - Great Grandfather & Great Aunt

My Great Grandfather, James WILLIAMS, was born about 1859 in Aberdare. On 26th October 1884 he married Elizabeth (Bessy) JENNINGS in the Pontypridd registry office.

On the 31st January 1895 Elizabeth died while living at 100 Dinas Road, Dinas. There were 5 children.

Family verbal history has lead to finding what happened to 4 of the children - however, I have not been able to trace James and their eldest child Beatrice S WILLIAMS after the 1891 census.

Family verbal history has "Beatrice went with her father" - nothing regarding her marrying.

Beatrice is found in the 1891 Census living with her parents and siblings at 100 Dinas Road. It is from this that we have the initial "S" and born about 1885 in Hafod. Is the "S" really and "S" or something else?

I have not been able to find a registration of the birth or death of James WILLIAMS - with being such a common name that may prove impossible.

There are numerous records for Beatrice WILLIAMS and James WILLIAMS which have befuddled me completely. https://www.british-genealogy.com/for.../new/crazy.gif

I am hoping that fresh eyes will point me in the right direction.

Gary

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    I have not been able to find a registration of the birth or death of James WILLIAMS
    What was the name given for James' father on his marriage certificate and what was the occupation? This may help track him in the earlier census.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    For those looking - Census Refs

1891: RG12; Piece: 4418; Folio 93; Page 30
    James WILLIAMS, Elizabeth and children Beatrice, Caroline and Frances

1901: RG13; Piece: 5010; Folio: 63
    daughter Caroline WILLIAMS with her grandfather James JENNINGS
    Last edited by olliecat; 05-02-2012 at 5:13 PM. Reason: added census refs

Bronco

His father was Joseph Francis WILLIAMS baptized 16th September 1832, Lanlivery, Cornwall and who died sometime after 1901.
    His mother was Caroline IVEY born about 1833< Gwinear, Cornwall and died after 1901. They were married 18th June 1856 in Gwinear.

I have found both in the 1901 census (RG13 - 5060 - 112 - 21) but not in either the 1891 or 1911 census.

James wedding certificated shows his father as Joseph Williams, "Collier".

Brick wall demolition expert!

You say you can't find a birth record for James but I see you have his parents details. Are you saying he was not registered or that you haven't found the correct registration for him yet?

As for his parents. Since they were boarding in Glyncorrwg in 1901 (Neath registration) - possible deaths for you...

Death Dec 1905 Neath 11A 485
    WILLIAMS, Caroline
    Age 70
    Est birth date. 1835

Death Mar 1911 Neath 11A 560
    WILLIAMS, Joseph
    Age 76
    Est birth date. 1835

Niot that this is helping to find James or his daughter Beatrice. Searching for Beatrice in the 1901 census there doesn't seem to be a likely candidate, i.e. born Hafod or Llanwonno etc. Could she have died before the 1901 census? There is a death in 1892 for a Beatrice WILLIAMS age 6.

wendymac

Hi,

Did James have any brothers or sisters?

wendymac

Hi Gary,

Could any of the 1901 entries be your James /Beatrice??

James Williams - 42 - Boarder (tailor)- Birshall Road - Pontardawe - RG13/5064/~F136

James Williams - 42 - Boarder 7 Herbert Street-Llanwonno-Glamorgan-RG13/5004/~F37
    He is staying with a Daniel Williams and family here - maybe Beatrice was staying here too but was out on the day they took the census????

James Williams - 41 - Cousin -( coal Miner) 27 Railway terrace - Bettws, Glamorgan - RG13/5043/~F50
    Here he is staying with his cousin James Williams aged 50yrs and family.

Beatrice Williams - 16yrs- visitor-67 Bede Road, West Cardiff- RG13/4987/~F27
    visiting the Coleman family.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Bronco

Olliecat,

I have not been able to find the correct registration for James's birth.

The 2 deaths you supplied look to be very strong candidates - perhaps I'll take a flyer on them and order certificates.

As to Beatrice dying in 1892 - I'm going to stick with the family verbal history that she was alive in 1895 when her mother died and that she went to live with her father.

Thanks for the information,

Bronco

Wendymac,

James had 8 other siblings - only one of which I have traced past the 1881 census. I will spend the next few days searching for them in the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census - but like so many others I have only a common first name for each of them.

I will check out the 1901 census suggestions you have made and see if any of them might be a fit.

Thank you for you help, Gary

wendymac

Hi Gary,

Don't know if you have seen this or not but on the 1911 census there is a James Williams, 52yrs old born 1859 - widower living at 23 Glan Road Aberdare - this could be a possibility- I know there must be a lot of James Williams like you said but not all are widowers from and living in Aberdare.

He is living with a David Lewis Williams - Martha Ann Williams & Daniel Williams. No sign of a Beatrice here though.

Hope this is of some help.